• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog Tag Team IV: Marlene, Dave, snowangel - Cold Turkey, Three Ways

Great prices on your Costco purchases, Susan. The grocery store prices here on the Gulf coast:

Milk - 3.09 a gal

1.67 will get you only 18 eggs

not sure about the cheese

20 tortillas are 1.69, and they're not too great.

The gas I got today was 2.26 a gallon.

Stop Family Violence

When Ryan woke up, he insisted on these frozen French Toast sticks. I offered to make him real French Toast, but no dice.

Any chance of his accepting home made french toast made into French Toast Sticks? Next time you make F.T. make extra, cut into sticks and freeze. Keep a bag of those in the freezer and you won't mind him eating FTS from the freezer.

Great prices on your Costco purchases, Susan. The grocery store prices here on the Gulf coast:

Milk - 3.09 a gal

Regular price on milk at a supermarket here is $3.59/gallon. And, gas at $2/gallon seems good. Apparently, we are known for having the cheapest gas in the nation here.

For the grated cheese, I know regular supermarket price here (on sale, actually) is usually $2.50/8 oz.

Dave and Marlene, what are you paying for gas? (The free stuff from little boys does not count.)

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Dinner. I've had enough butter and bacon fat, so it was time to turn to coconut milk, as well as satisfy my spicy and salty craving. On to Thai food. You must forgive me as there are gaps in the photos as I am still leaning about this camera. Not to mention that certain people talked me into picasa, which is far different than the Adobe Photoshop which I have been using. So, two learning curves. Make that three. Add not smoking to the mix.

So, I decided on Thai, and decided that while probably not traditional, venison needed to make yet another appearnce on the table (I have a deep freeze full of the stuff. Trust me).

One of the deer I got came to me in four quarters. Skinned, but not boned. No nothing except four legs with either the shoulders or hind ends attached. Having no clue what to do with this stuff, and getting ready to go out of town for an annual women's weekend, I laid into it late the night before thanksgiving, and wrapped up the pieces and marked them as well as I could.

Well, I made one mistake. This was marked as "stew meat."

gallery_6263_35_24835.jpg

This was unbelieveably well marbled on the even less quality photo that above, so I quickly wrapped it back up, stuck it in the fridge thinking "smoke this." And, I got out two packages (each about .6 pounds) of stuff that I had cut up as stew meat. The photo of this was embarrassingly bad.

So, on to venion curry. Not traditional, but it was great.

The mis for the curry involved opening some cans. While I often make my own curry paste, time and mental mode did not permit that tonight. So, I used:

gallery_6263_35_20244.jpg

For purchase curry paste, Maesri is my preferred brand. I just like that Thai version of Betty Crocker smiling at me, and when I grew up in Thailand, it was what everyone who couldn't get to the market to get freshly pounded paste used. I decided to add bamboo shoots to the mix because I had a can that had been in the pantry for quite a while. I usually get this particular brand of coconut milk, as well. Don't know why, except that the name of it bodes well and it has never let me down.

The picture of the curry simmering was not good, so you won't see it, but I figured since the venison was somewhat sinewy, it needed quite a simmer.

On the the mis for the other stuff.

gallery_6263_35_34124.jpg

Several other items make it into the picture, because this end of the penninsula is command post central. YOu'll also note my reading glasses, some valentines, a green Stanley tape measure and Heidi's hang tag.

The other two dishes are a stir fried broccoli, a variation on the greens in Hot Sour Salty Sweet. I didn't have greens, but I had broccoli. No matter. The other was Chicken with Thai basil, which I've never before made, but I figured that some chicken (breast that I had carved off a raw chicken and frozen before using the rest to make stock -- that was one odd looking bird, BTW), a big mess of garlic, some nam pla and a mess of basil would do the trick. It did.

But, first, the rice. I always use Thai Jasmine rice. Back when we lived in Thailand, my dad was an ag economist with a private foundation, and one of the leading experts on Thai rice. The Thai's love their jasmine, and love very good rice. I always look for something with a low percentage of brokens. I am very picky about my rice. My rice cooker was a wedding present. We will celebrate our 25th anniversary this coming June.

gallery_6263_35_45447.jpg

No fuzzy logic (no comments, please), no bells and whistles, just perfect rice every time. Rinse and drain until the rice is clean, using a hand to work the rice through the water, until the water that is drained runs pretty clean.

No pictures of dinner cooking because I was doing two dishes at once. Oh, I also added some wedged shallots to the chicken dish because I had them.

gallery_6263_35_38292.jpg

gallery_6263_35_24502.jpg

The broccoli (the beany looking things are the beans in that fermented bean stuff) and the curry. The chicken/basil dish photo was not publishable.

This was wonderful. The combination of a ton of basil and garlic with chicken is divine. Thai basil enhances curry (I used a red paste) unbelievably.

Edited to add: The house is redolent with aromas of fish sauce, curry and Thai basil. I wish someone could bottle this smell. Yes, the sense of smell if way heightened. Taste still is the same.

Dinner was great. The kitchen is a wreck. I really want a cigarette. But, I'll wait 'til later. My new mantra.

Found in the pantry thing.

gallery_6263_35_25628.jpg

I must state outright that my pantry is directly above the furnace. I have a galley kitchen. The pantry is above the furnace, and the other end has a heat vent (output).

I have never, ever been able to get ginger to grow. Amazing what a plastic bag and a little warmth will do.

I'm puzzled, but returned the ginger to the bag and laid it where it has been and I'll see what happens.

Science mysteries in the kitchen abound!

We do our gas by the litre here and today on the way home, Don bought gas for .80 cents a litre. You do the math. I hate conversions.

Dinner was late tonight but oh Lord, we are so stuffed we can't move. (Remember that 3 lbs I lost? I think I just found them again).

I put a rub on the chicken of butter, garlic, fresh rosemary, salt, pepper and lemon juice:

gallery_6080_2537_2509.jpg

Meanwhile, I chopped the stuff for the Carnival Corn. This is a huge favourite of ours. In fact Ryan had three bowls of it. There's bacon too, but it's not in the picture:

gallery_6080_2537_15106.jpg

Then I cubed the gingerbread cake. This will get mixed with eggs, milk and sugar and go into the oven to bake while we're eating dinner.

gallery_6080_2537_57256.jpg

Once the chicken was out of the oven, I started the Carnival Corn:

Saute the bacon first. Normally, I'd let it cook longer than I did tonight, but we were so late, I was in a hurry. When the bacon has rendered, add the butter:

gallery_6080_2537_9041.jpg

gallery_6080_2537_3167.jpg

When the butter melts, add the onions and peppers. It's supposed to be red and green peppers but I didn't have any green so I used red and orange. The orange fades into the corn a bit, colourwise though.

gallery_6080_2537_8039.jpg

Saute until soft and then add corn, in this case frozen corn as there isn't any fresh corn to be had this time of year.

gallery_6080_2537_30159.jpg

What you end up with is this:

gallery_6080_2537_35412.jpg

Varmint gave me this recipe during my first tag team blog and it very quickly became a family favourite. It's pretty rich, but who cares!

Then I started on the gravy while the chicken rested.

gallery_6080_2537_37889.jpg

The two dark blobs you see in the gravy are concentrated chicken stock.

gallery_6080_2537_26703.jpg

Meanwhile the gingerbread went back into the oven:

gallery_6080_2537_63074.jpg

And finally we are ready to eat:

gallery_6080_2537_6458.jpg

gallery_6080_2537_663.jpg

gallery_6080_2537_23137.jpg

After dinner I made the carmel sauce, which in retrospect, I probably should have made earlier. It was still a little warm when we used it, but this was oh so good.

gallery_6080_2537_20179.jpg

gallery_6080_2537_31330.jpg

gallery_6080_2537_25780.jpg

I have no idea if this is what it's supposed to look like, but man it was awesome. Thanks Neil, for the recipe!

My kitchen is a disaster, I'm so full I can't move and I want a cigarette.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Did you do the chicken leg thing where you sever all of the skin and tendons above the know before baking?

No. Was I supposed to?

Marlene

BTW, I'm seeking cole slaw suggestions for tomorrow.  I've been stuck in a rut -- some Nigela Lawson recipe that uses buttermilk and mayo for the dressing, and also includes dried cranberries and pecans.  I'm out of dried cranberries, and I'm not going to the store tomorrow.  I'm not.

The Super Slaw recipe over at Epicurious is really, really good. All peanut and ginger flavors and crunch. My mayonnaise-hating husband adores the stuff, as do I.

Ahem. Fixed the link.

Edited by tejon (log)

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

The Super Slaw recipe over at Epicurious is really, really good. All peanut and ginger flavors and crunch. My mayonnaise-hating husband adores the stuff, as do I.

If you hate mayonnaise, This one is really good too.

Marlene

I am not normally a sweet eater. Normally, dessert never occurs to me.

But, as Peter, Paul and I watch the Olympics (the volleyballer is toast, as is Heidi), we are wondering what ever happened to Jim McKay.

So, I had a craving for a sweet. So, it was time for one of those Heath Bar Brownies

gallery_6263_35_26850.jpg

Diana was smart when she made these (actually used Skor Bars, the full sized ones). She kept the chunks of Skor bars very large so they didn't all melt away. There was crunch, and dense chocolate.

BTW, the plate is the last remaining of the service of Franciscen Oasis dishes my folks received as a wedding present.

Edited to fix photo.

So partners lets talk smokin. Pig, people. Pig.

I have these:

gallery_6080_2537_5582.jpg

I have one bag of them in fact. I have another bag of mesquite. That's it. That's all I've got. Am I screwed? Will this stuff do the trick and is one bag going to be enough?

Marlene

I have these:

gallery_6080_2537_5582.jpg

I have one bag of them in fact.  I have another bag of mesquite.  That's it.  That's all I've got.  Am I screwed?  Will this stuff do the trick and is one bag going to be enough?

I am not the smoking maven that your fellow bloggers are - but - I smoked a brisket last weekend. It was on for 12 hours - and it was so cold outside it still needed a few hours in the oven to finish cooking! Anyway - I used wood chips like yours. I soaked a couple of cups in water, wrapped in foil and poked many holes in the foil. Placed the package on the white coals and not only was the brisket nice and smokey - my whole house was smoked for the next 4-5 days. :smile: (that's what happens when it's too cold to smoke on the deck and you need to smoke in the garage with the door open)

Pam's idea is wonderful, and I can't believe that I didn't think of this. Lack of smoking, I think. But, I'm about to rectify that tomorrow!

BTW, smoking butts without smoking buts will be hard for me.

What's for tonight? Suggestions?

Fish. There's been plenty of hearty red meat in this blog, but we need some seafood. If not just fish, how about a quick cioppino or linguine with clams?

:cool:

Dayum. I missed you by a day, Dave. I did a truly wonderful mess of moules au Lady T last night -- mussels steamed in butter/shallot/garlic/white wine, tossed briefly in the pot with diced tomato and chopped parsley. Drank a cold cava therewith, and followed with buttered steamed asparagus for salad course, and sliced apple with sliced Havarti for dessert. Heaven.

:biggrin:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

The teen and I were just talking, as we cleaned up the kitchen (the maid did not show up, yet again) about Thai basil. It is wonderful in these dishes. A mess of leaves, floating in a curry just elevates that curry. The chicken breast dish, with it's ton of garlic, was just enhanced by the basil. It adds a different note, an alluring note.

And, although it does not keep well, and bruises very easily, should you find yourself with a good supply, do not hesitate to pesto it, and freeze the Thai Basil pesto and use that in dishes.

Milk - 3.09 a gal

Here in Exeter, Ontario( about 25 miles from London) Milk is 4.19 for 4L, 1.99 for a dozen eggs, cheese is ridiculously expensive. I've seen 225( aprox 8 oz) grams of shreeded cheese for over 5 bucks. Flour tortillas are about 2.29 for 10 soft taco size.

Gas??? Forget about it. You think you're paying a lot. Today its 83.9 cents a liter. 83.9 x 3.75 liters to a gallon = 3.14 a gallon.

However, I rarely buy milk or cheese here. I travel to MI( border town is 62 miles away) 2-4 times a month and there milk is 1.99 gallon on sale, cheese is often $1.00 for 8 oz( store brand). Kraft is usually on sale 3 for 5$.

Its amazing the price differences. Don't even get me started on how much chicken costs here.

Duh! In preparation for smoking tomorrow, I went looking for the pot in which I soak my wood chunks. It was sitting on the deck, right next to the trusty Kettle. I put the pot in a bit of hot water, turned it out, and voila!

gallery_6263_35_3840.jpg

They've been soaking, albeit in a frozen state, for almost a week. I'm rather amazed at how much brown/tan stuff leeched into the water, although it's not surprising.

Chunks soaking tonight (very early, I know, but tomorrow will get busy). Better check and make sure that pork brining on the deck isn't going to freeze tonight.

I can't wait to smoke tomorrow!

I've got my brine in the garage. I don't think it will freeze out there. I've put the chips on to soak overnight, and Pam, your foil packet thing sounds perfect!

(Don is so looking forward to getting up at 7:30 on a Sunday morning to do this. :blink: ) Fortunately, he has to work anyway. :biggrin:

We do have an apple farm not to far from here, so maybe we'll take a trip and see if we can hit them up for branches etc for future projects

Marlene

Ryan voted for stroganoff, Don voted for chicken, so I got to decide.  Based on the fact that I think the beef will last till Monday in the fridge because it's vacumn sealed, and the chicken won't and isn't sealed, we're having chicken.  Ryan is not impressed. :biggrin:

If Ryan wants stroganoff, have him cook it. Or do we want to go in that direction, Marlene? :unsure:

gallery_24802_1884_102877.jpg

Susan, that's the same exact rice cooker that I have!!

Marlene, Susan, Dave et al., I think all of you should come out to Los Angeles. It seems to work for maggiethecat, right Maggie?

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

Milk is on sale here: $2.50/gallon. Lately, it's been around $3.60. I should add that it's a rare week that we go through even a half gallon.

Eggs: $1.09/dozen.

I don't price shredded cheese. Call me a snob (puts hands over ears). The local grocery flyer has it at $3.33/pound.

Likewise, tortillas are not on my radar screen.

Gas (regular) is $2.24/gallon. According to GasPriceWatch.com, that's dead average. Yes, Americans get off easy.

Marlene, that's a beautiful bird. What Susan means about the tendons is that if you run a knife around the bone just above the knob on the drumstick, the tendons are severed, and shrink into the leg, giving you a much nicer finished product without the strings and stretchy things. (It doesn't work for turkey, unfortunately. Sever all you want, and a denuded turkey leg still looks like a broken umbrella.)

Susan, I'm confused. Did you do venison curry or just chicken?

I rarely think about dessert, either, but those dishes look great. It won't surprise anyone by now that a couple of hours after dinner, I want something salty and crunchy. Now I want something sweet. Followed by something salty and crunchy.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

If Ryan wants stroganoff, have him cook it. Or do we want to go in that direction, Marlene?  :unsure:

No. No, I don't think we do actually. :biggrin:

Marlene, Susan, Dave et al., I think all of you should come out to Los Angeles. It seems to work for maggiethecat, right Maggie?

I could stand a trip to the warmth of Los Angeles right now!

Marlene

Dave, shredded cheese and tortillas are a necessity with kids, if you want them involved in the kitchen. I'm all about making them more sufficient in the kitchen, and I'm sick of bandaiding scraped knuckles and sick of sweeping up the bits and pieces that fly everywhere when they grate it themselves (they try, but...). Plus, there's Heidi, who has a hard time eating a lot of different foods, and quesadillas are a fast and easy snack to beef her up.

I did venison curry and chicken with Thai basil.

The venison was wonderful in curry. It had the "tension" to be meaty and chewy, but not so much, and the right flavor. Substance without overwhelming, if you get my drift.

So, have you been eating?