• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog Tag Team IV: Marlene, Dave, snowangel - Cold Turkey, Three Ways

Marlene . . . Is this what you have languishing in the garage? My little jewel is lurking in the shadows. Among afficiandos, the Weber Smoky Mountain is affectionately known as "The Bullet."

gallery_7796_1058_52837.jpg

A few tips for success with your butt:

• Fire up the smoker using the Minion Method
  • Keep the top vent open full. Put a thermometer there.
  • Regulate temperature with the bottom vents. 250 F (121 C) at the top vent is 225 F (107 C) at the grate. This is what you want.
  • Keep the water pan full. This is probably the only thing you will have to fiddle with.

I use a remote thermometer to watch the meat temperature. That is just for fun as much as anything. When you can wiggle the bone and it just about comes out in your hand, you are done. Internal temp will be about 190 F (88 C) to 200 F (93 C).

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Breakfast!  I personally think that eggs fried in bacon grease is one of the all-time great foods.

I agree, and I'm sure Maggie does, too. If you haven't read her Bacon, Eggs and a Toast piece in the Daily Gullet, please do so. Now.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

But after the last five days, I'm more than ever convinced that group support (say, 15,000 Society members) is a huge help. Had I been able to participate during the week, I might never have slipped.

We are here for you, Dave, and continue to maintain that you can surmount any obstacle with proper support (not a Maidenform ad here!) :wink:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

What's for tonight? Suggestions?

Fish. There's been plenty of hearty red meat in this blog, but we need some seafood. If not just fish, how about a quick cioppino or linguine with clams?

ick. :biggrin:

I am however making your carnival corn tonight.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

The last butt I did I used the Southern Succor rub. It was quite good. I don't always use a rub but this one is a winner. Of course, some of the ingredients were a little lumpy, but my favorite kitchen gadget works admirably as a pestle. :raz:

gallery_7796_409_45413.jpg

Actually, we aren't trying to taunt you, Marlene. We are trying to develop a cult and channel to AMCO so you can get a mushroom.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

fifi, that's exactly what I have. Who knew it was called a bullet? Well ok, everyone but me. (careful, I'm nicotine deprived. II could conceivably committ a mushroom deprivation crime. )

So what time do I need to force my poor husband out of bed in the morning to get the smoker going?

I've got the gingerbread cake in the oven. Once it's done I'll upload the pics of breakfast and cake.

I'm moving on to the mustard bbq sauce now. Trust I can make this up in advance and stick it in the fridge.

Marlene

Fish. There's been plenty of hearty red meat in this blog, but we need some seafood. If not just fish, how about a quick cioppino or linguine with clams?

I was thinking the same thing. I spent a week on the Gulf Coast, and couldn't find a decent piece of grouper.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

. . . . .

So what time do I need to force my poor husband out of bed in the morning to get the smoker going?

. . . . .

I think about 8:00. Print off that Minion Method for him. That is the only way I know to maintain an even temperature over the long haul. I load it with about 10 pounds of plain Kingsford briquets and wood chunks. I may or may not add some wood chunks as it goes along. I tried lump charcoal one time trying to be a purist. It was unpredictable as to heat and the ash was so light that it would blow up onto the meat if the wind got gusty.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Breakfast was a scattered affair. I got tired of waiting for Ryan to wake up and finally decided on a couple of soft boiled eggs. I have these cute little egg cups. (actually I almost never use egg cups, but I brought them out for your viewing pleasure)

gallery_6080_2537_2952.jpg

Four minute eggs:

gallery_6080_2537_9478.jpg

When Ryan woke up, he insisted on these frozen French Toast sticks. I offered to make him real French Toast, but no dice. He also prefers his syrup in a bowl for dipping:

gallery_6080_2537_2674.jpg

Gingerbread cake out of the oven and cooling:

gallery_6080_2537_20750.jpg

Marlene

Nice braises, ladies. I'll have to try it.

Marlene, your fearlessness is an inspiration; the steak looks great. A couple of equipment notes:

• You're not the first person I've heard complain about the dullness of the Oxo blades. It might be worth taking back in exchange for a Benriner.
  • I know it's kind of cheating, but for "crushed" peppercorns, this is my tool of choice. It's also great for a half-dozen cloves of garlic at a time. The blade has a grinding side and a slicing edge; you flip it over to change.

My butt is in brine -- I added a half-part of sugar.

I did not add any sugar to my brine. The OXO is definately going back. We're making a trip into Toronto for dinner next weekend and a trip to WS was on my list anyway. I don't think WS carries a Benriner but I could choose from one of these I guess.

Which one?

Marlene

The OXO is definately going back.  We're making a trip into Toronto for dinner next weekend and a trip to WS was on my list anyway.  I don't think WS carries a Benriner but I could choose from one of these I guess. 

Which one?

Get the Benriner...you won't regret it. Just use your WS credit for something else....

Ryan voted for stroganoff, Don voted for chicken, so I got to decide. Based on the fact that I think the beef will last till Monday in the fridge because it's vacumn sealed, and the chicken won't and isn't sealed, we're having chicken. Ryan is not impressed. :biggrin:

So dinner will be Roast Chicken with mashed and gravy

carnival corn

gingerbread pudding with carmel sauce

Marlene

It just ocurred to me. I bet I need wood for the smoker right? I have wood chips, but I doubt if I have wood nor do I know where to get wood in the dead of winter in Ontariol

Marlene

It just ocurred to me.  I bet I need wood for the smoker right?  I have wood chips, but I doubt if I have wood nor do I know where to get wood in the dead of winter in Ontariol

Do you know anyone with some seasoned firewood? Any good hardwood will work. For butt I like hickory but oak will work well too. I have a bunch of dry applewood I got from a local orchard. But chunks of any hardwood will do the job. Of course, soft woods and green hardwood are to be avoided. If all you have is the chips, soak them first for half an hour or so. I would think you will have to add some more chips after the first bit is gone.

Edited by lancastermike (log)

I'm back, much earlier than I expected. Diana's team did not do very well today, but their coach was gone for a family emergency so they had a substitute coach who is good, but hasn't been working with the girls.

But, Diana does very well, and really enjoys this. She has a great attitude. It's not about winning, it's about having fun.

Although we're not supposed to bring food in, but just use their concessions, everyone brings stuff in and buys stuff, as well. Diana went armed with banana nut muffins, those little bags of chips and some clementines. But, we both wanted something a little different, so we each got one of these

gallery_6263_35_330147.jpg

Not bad for a buck.

Marlene and I had talked about stroganoff tonight, but I changed my mind because I had this beautiful bunch of Thai basil.

gallery_6263_35_1256411.jpg

More in a bit. Preps for dinner are starting.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

My pork is brining and my curry is simmering. DH offered to pick up the pork today. It is not a butt, but a shoulder blade. 10 pounds. Extraordinarily well marbeled, with a magnificent skin and fat cap. I'll be curious to see how this does. Looks like it will be every bit as good as butt.

The pork was $.98/lb. Which reminds me that I just found my Costco receipt in my pocket, and will report on prices.

1% milk -- $2.05/gallon

3 doz eggs -- $1.67

2 lbs. shredded cheese -- $4.87 (mexican blend, but not one with spices)

40 or 50 flour tortillas -- $2.85

12 sleeves of Nabisco Saltines -- $3.45

Gasoline for the car -- $2.00/gallon

How do these prices compare, Marlene and Dave (and anyone else)? I'm lucky because Costco is only a 1/2 further than my local supermarket, so it is reasonable for me to shop there frequently, if only for milk and eggs. BTW, I noticed that butter was $6.15 for four pounds (salted quarters).

BTW, I'm seeking cole slaw suggestions for tomorrow. I've been stuck in a rut -- some Nigela Lawson recipe that uses buttermilk and mayo for the dressing, and also includes dried cranberries and pecans. I'm out of dried cranberries, and I'm not going to the store tomorrow. I'm not.

Let's hope I have sour cream. If not, I'll wing it, unless some other suggestion comes along.

Dinner is late here, too. The teen has had a long nap, and the boy has spent almost an hour in the bathtub (very good thing, BTW).

The mize is all in place. I want a cigarette. For the first time today. But, I'm going to do my mental "I'll just have one later" and keep putting it off.

My participation on eGullet is going to be relatively sparse for the next 24 hours or so, because I'm just about to unplug my computer prior to the Big Move, but in the meantime I want to once more wish all you quitters all strength, fortune, and general good vibrations. It's been tough, but so are you. And what lovely food y'all have been generating!

I'll probably get to peek in a couple more times this evening on Fearless (soon-to-be-ex-) Housemate's computer, and then hopefully I'll have my own 'puter set up in my new place just in time to see bountiful mountains of smoked meat. :wub:

(Hey, there's no calories in just looking. And maybe I'll expend a few calories from drooling. :wacko::laugh: )

Edited by mizducky (log)