• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog Tag Team IV: Marlene, Dave, snowangel - Cold Turkey, Three Ways

I am so impressed by this blog. Everyone who is participating is just doing amazingly well, not just at quitting cigarettes, but at keeping each other propped up. I've enjoyed experiencing the camaraderie that happens between everyone during this challenging blog. Kudos! About those nuts... I did a quickie version of that cayenne bit, and I added some Brazil nuts into the mix. Yum, but guess what? The cayenne got into my keyboard! Bad girl, keeping snacks by the keyboard. Now my computer smells SPICY. :wub:

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

I brine my meat, at this time of year in the rear garage (we have a tanden 4-car garage) where the temp is between 35 and 40 degrees)

:green-with-envy icon:

I recently read up on home-made guanciale. It requires hanging for several weeks at <60F. There is no place in my neck o' the woods that is likely to remain consistently below 60F for three weeks. I'd have to rent space from my local friendly meat-merchants, should they be inclined to let me. And you can brine meat, store leftovers, etc in your garage or on your back porch. Major envy! :laugh:

Those dinners looked so delicious. Butter-braised beef has gone onto the to-do list.

<edit typos 'cause its past my bedtime>

Edited by Kouign Aman (log)

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Who else remembers locker plants? They were a bit cold for brining, but where I grew up they were the way to go for long-term meat storage at Very Cold Temperatures. The place shut down long before I moved away, but I still remember Dad bundling me into the too-large too-heavy parka with the wolf-rimmed hood, before he bundled himself up. Then he, the similarly-attired locker plant operator, and I would trundle in, open up our particular rented locker, and select the cut of venison for our special dinner. That place probably wasn't all that big, but at the time it felt like Narnia.

There should be such places now, with climate-controlled spaces for your choice of temperature. Frozen storage? Over here. Brining? Right this way.

ObCongrats: I've said it before, but I'll say again, how impressed I am with you bloggers and other quitters. It's a tough row to hoe under any circumstances. Doing it in public without going homicidal is...well...pushing past mere sainthood.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Instead, after a few minutes, he slapped the computer shut and stood up. He reached into his pocket and tossed a slightly crumpled, almost empty pack of Marlboro Lights on the table between us. "You look like you need these more than me," he said, and walked away.

Bastard! Assuming he knew you were trying to quit, that was a sh**** thing to do!

And that, my friends, is how an otherwise rational person changes -- in a single motion -- from a non-smoker into an unrecovered addict, worrying about where he's going to get his next fix.

I still have faith in you. You lasted as long as you did, so you know you have the power to do it.

Someone mentioned the meters you can download which tell you how many cigarettes you haven't smoked, how much money you've saved, and how much life you've gained by quitting. The most popular one that I know of is Silk Quit. It is free (though they recommend a donation of $4.95), and a great motivator for those who like to see more tangible effects. I've used it for other things (not smoking, but potato chips!!).

I really want to make butter beef tonight. Well, any night. But the cost of a roast (even a cheap one) plus the cost of butter makes it outrageously expensive to make in Japan. :sad: So I'll just drown my sorrows in some nachos.

Edited by prasantrin (log)

Am I reading this right? Does Marlene have a Weber bullet in the garage? If so, I can lend a lot of support. My Weber Bullet is my best friend.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Both of tonight's dinners look divine, but that steak, Marlene, takes my breath away. And the fries.......oh :biggrin:

I've got beef on my list for this weekend and I've got plenty of butter I didn't use left from the holidays. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

fifi- Pappa's Brothers does a 3 peppercorn 9pink, green and black) that is totally awesome!!!

Susan - do you season you green beans with anything in particular? I've never been able to get frozen green beans to taste like anything but grass. Or at least what I think grass tastes like.

Stop Family Violence

You used a 12 year old single Islay for a cocktail??? Shudder....

Hardly. The Manhattan was made with Rye. Canadian Club. I just forgot to put it in the picture. The 12 year old scotch was for Don

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Am I reading this right? Does Marlene have a Weber bullet in the garage? If so, I can lend a lot of support. My Weber Bullet is my best friend.

I think that she has it but has never used it. In honor of all these good quitters I am firing the WSM tommorow for a butt smoke. We are due for snow and cold so it ought to be fun. My darling wife thinks I am crazy. She may be right, but not about smoking butt. I know you guys understand. If Marlene needs backup I know Linda will provide it.

Edited by lancastermike (log)

Well no. I have a brand new weber smokey mountain on the back deck that has not yet been broken in.

I'm going to stick the butt in some brine (I have Diamond and Morton's kosher salt). It actually snowed here a bit yesterday, so the back deck is a perfect place to put this today.

Marlene

In the meantime, I did my best to crack peppercorns.  This sucks let me tell you. I used my mortar and pestle, ziplock bag and rolling pin and I still had trouble cracking them.  I need a spice grinder.

No, Marlene, you need one of these

gallery_6263_35_23062.jpg

Also useful for pounding DNR stakes into the ground so you can tie tall plants to, crushing cans, etc.

Morning all! It is finally light, and I got up earlier than I like to on a Saturday to deposit the teen at a volleyball tourney. I will go and cheer them on after I've had more coffee and fixed breakfast. I noted that at this hour, most parents were dropping off the kids, presumably for the same reason as me.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Yeah that would work Susan. Don also suggested a hammer. :biggrin: Let me go stick the butt in some brine and get refueled with coffee. Then I can contemplate the coleslaw (now I have to go shopping again).

Marlene

Susan - do you season you green beans with anything in particular? I've never been able to get frozen green beans to taste like anything but grass. Or at least what I think grass tastes like.

Dana, just butter in the pan. At the table, on my plate, I add a some freshly ground black pepper and salt.

I'm getting salt these days at the coop. It's a sort of more coarse sea salt. Not nearly as coarse as Morton's Kosher, but noticeably more coarse than regular iodized table salt, so it has a nice crunch.

These frozen green beans from Costco are the only ones I've found that don't take like grass.

We knew each other. In fact, he's on retainer as a consultant to my company, and I like him -- or I did. We reviewed the last few days, trading observations and notes, during the course of which, he offered me a cigarette. I hesitated. But whether it was the stress of the week, the feeling that a smoke would help me relax, or just my weariness at resisting, I accepted. I figured it was a one-time thing. I'd go back in and finish my work, I'd go back to my room and crash in anticipation of the drive home (did I mention I'd given up alcohol on Tuesday?), and that would be it.

Instead, after a few minutes, he slapped the computer shut and stood up. He reached into his pocket and tossed a slightly crumpled, almost empty pack of Marlboro Lights on the table between us. "You look like you need these more than me," he said, and walked away. And that, my friends, is how an otherwise rational person changes -- in a single motion -- from a non-smoker into an unrecovered addict, worrying about where he's going to get his next fix.

Dave, this sounds just like something out of a cheesy detective novel!

I've actually been doing very well, and am heading into day three or four cigarette-less. I just keep saying I'll have one later. Paul has still been smoking, but I keep challenging myself to go one more day. I've been occupying my evenings (my tough time) by doing stuff like playing scrabble with the kids. I've got my fingers crossed. The patch is helping, but I think more in a mental way than physical. Sort of like not drinking when you've taken some vicodan.

Ok, here's my butt.

gallery_6080_2537_2712.jpg

gallery_6080_2537_13952.jpg

It's now sitting in my 12 quart stock pot covered in 4 quarts of water with 2 cups Diamond Crystal Kosher salt. It's on my deck. Stupid question of the day (ok, it's early. I may have others later). It's -6 C out there. Won't the water freeze?

Marlene

Don's gone to work and the boy is still asleep. (well of course he is. It's not even noon yet!)

While I wait for him to wake up so I can feed him something, I'm snacking on some raisin toast:

gallery_6080_2537_23574.jpg

Now for dinner tonight I have sirloin out for beef stroganoff. I also have a chicken out which I could roast. Which one should I make? Don is leaning towards the chicken and Ryan hasn't had a chance to vote yet.

Also on the list is a gingerbread pudding with carmel sauce, recipe courtesy of Neil, the owner of the Hamilton Street Grill in Vancouver.

Marlene

Breakfast! I personally think that eggs fried in bacon grease is one of the all-time great foods.

gallery_6263_35_737746.jpg

gallery_6263_35_188371.jpg

gallery_6263_35_438509.jpg

Washed down with strong coffee.

In a few minutes, I'm off to spend 4-5 hours sitting at a loud arena watching volleyball. I take my care package.

gallery_6263_35_545629.jpg

It's from the Philippines and made of recycled juice boxes or pouches. I love this bag. It's so bright I can't lose it.

To keep me occupied when I'm not rooting for the teen:

gallery_6263_35_1640905.jpg

Suduko, embroidery (day of the week dishtowels), and the dark blob is knitting. I'm knitting a hat. Peter got the little bags of chips at his school thing last night; I'll give those to the teen. And, a bottle of water (I reuse these bottles).

I'll leave the arena sometime between 2 and 3:00 pm, stop at the market and pick up my butt and come home. Paul will take over, and they will call as they leave the arena so I can get dinner rolling.

Thai tonight here.

I thought you were doing stroganoff! :blink:

(and you put your mushroom thingy in the picture just to taunt me, right?)

Marlene

Susan, Marlene, both those butter-braises look wonderful! I'm glad it worked and that the meat was tender!

Susan I really like the pictures you take with your new camera.. the fat bubbling up around the eggs.. that looks so good.. I'm looking for a new camera myself and I think I will keep this one in mind..

It's now sitting in my 12 quart stock pot covered in 4 quarts of water with 2 cups Diamond Crystal Kosher salt.  It's on  my deck.  Stupid question of the day (ok, it's early.  I may have others later).  It's -6 C out there.  Won't the water freeze?

I'd be a little concerned about having a huge pork-butt Popsicle. (that's got to be one of the oddest things I've ever typed.) How long is it supposed to chill for? Til tomorrow? Will it fit in your fridge? Garage?

I moved it to the garage. It was looking like it wanted to freeze. It won't fit in my fridge until I decide what I"m going to have for dinner and take that out. Then it can go into the fridge overnight.

Marlene

Okay, I'm slow catching up. For dinner last night, the emphasis was easy.

Chuck-eye steaks (note whiskey sour; I'm feeling sufficiently recovered to take up drinking again):

gallery_6393_2478_5201.jpg

Marinated in soy, brown sugar, orange and lime juice, and ancho for an hour at room temperature:

gallery_6393_2478_8430.jpg

The mac and cheese was left over from my absence. I suspect it's Stouffer's, but I didn't inquire. Better not knowing.

gallery_6393_2478_18722.jpg

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Nice braises, ladies. I'll have to try it.

Marlene, your fearlessness is an inspiration; the steak looks great. A couple of equipment notes:

• You're not the first person I've heard complain about the dullness of the Oxo blades. It might be worth taking back in exchange for a Benriner.
  • I know it's kind of cheating, but for "crushed" peppercorns, this is my tool of choice. It's also great for a half-dozen cloves of garlic at a time. The blade has a grinding side and a slicing edge; you flip it over to change.

My butt is in brine -- I added a half-part of sugar.

What's for tonight? Suggestions?

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Instead, after a few minutes, he slapped the computer shut and stood up. He reached into his pocket and tossed a slightly crumpled, almost empty pack of Marlboro Lights on the table between us. "You look like you need these more than me," he said, and walked away.

Bastard! Assuming he knew you were trying to quit, that was a sh**** thing to do!

He didn't know. He just assumed I was out of cigarettes, and stranded at the convention center as I was, it would be a while before I could get more. Marlene and Susan have talked about telling or not telling friends and colleagues. I suspect self-sabotage here. Had I said to him, "No thanks, I've quit; I just lapsed for this one," he'd have snatched them back up and apologized.

Dave, this sounds just like something out of a cheesy detective novel!

I've actually been doing very well, and am heading into day three or four cigarette-less.  I just keep saying I'll have one later.  Paul has still been smoking, but I keep challenging myself to go one more day.  I've been occupying my evenings (my tough time) by doing stuff like playing scrabble with the kids.  I've got my fingers crossed.  The patch is helping, but I think more in a mental way than physical.  Sort of like not drinking when you've taken some vicodan.

Thanks! My writing skills must be improving.

I'm back on the wagon this morning, and my main strategy continues to be: simply don't have them around. But after the last five days, I'm more than ever convinced that group support (say, 15,000 Society members) is a huge help. Had I been able to participate during the week, I might never have slipped. For a committed loner like me, that's a big admission.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.