• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog Tag Team IV: Marlene, Dave, snowangel - Cold Turkey, Three Ways

Think of it this way Dave.  You're going out of town.  The ones left behind won't have you to cook for them for a couple of days.  Leftovers.  You'd be doing them a kindness.

Wise words, coming from Marlene? :hmmm::shock:

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Think of it this way Dave.  You're going out of town.  The ones left behind won't have you to cook for them for a couple of days.  Leftovers.  You'd be doing them a kindness.

Wise words, coming from Marlene? :hmmm::shock:

Is that any way to talk about your partner? This should make you very happy Susan. I've got a 10 lb Prime Rib for three people. I'm going to have to think leftovers! :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

It's been snowing here, so a bit of baking was in order. First we made chocolate chip and chocolate chunk cookies:

gallery_6080_2488_39782.jpg

I forgot to take pics of the cookie dough making process. Besides I had to work quickly or Ryan would have eaten all the dough raw.

And then raspberry jam filled muffins with a strusel topping:

gallery_6080_2488_40765.jpg

gallery_6080_2488_56847.jpg

gallery_6080_2488_8766.jpg

gallery_6080_2488_48745.jpg

(Ok, maybe I overfilled them)

gallery_6080_2488_9191.jpg

Time for a coffee and a smoke. Oh all right. I'll just have coffee. :sad:

Then it's on to blanching the broccoli (It figures, I've never blanched in my life, and now I'm doing it every time I turn around), and make the topping for the gratin. I'd like to make Janet's nuts as well, but that may have to wait until tomorrow.

The roast will take about 3 hours so it needs to go on around 4:30 ish and I need to make the batter for the yorkshire pudding so it can rest.

I really want a cigarette.

Marlene

I'm thinking pancakes for breakfast this morning. 
I still have no interest in breakfast.

Dave - I still don't eat breakfast until 4 hours after I've been awake - a leftover I think from my smoking days. I also had to give up my morning coffee and replace it with green tea because coffee made me want a smoke (thankfully I have gotten past that association).

To all - I don't want to sound corny, but I think that you are all doing so great! And I love all the bacon - I ate an entire plateful of procuitto de parma today for lunch because of it! :raz:

Eating pizza with a fork and knife is like making love through an interpreter.

Dave, hope you feel better soon.  A couple of friends who have quit noticed that they got colds right away.  Maybe the body cleansing itself?

That may be the case I have had a nasal discharge of what I can only imagine to be tar and I have heard this is common from others I have known who have stopped.

All the food looks great as do the cocktail, Dave the Monkey Gland is an awesome drink great to see you attempt it, and yes one must be careful with the green fairy. Marlene if you attempt the Sazerac as suggested up thread I started a thread here on it.

My eating has been endless pretty much I have been eating a lot of pate, sausage, and game. For some reason I have eaten almost nothing sweet I just dont seem to be drawn to it. I crave charcuterie. I am thinking China 46 tonight for dinner tonight. Well no slips today.

I love all the bacon - I ate an entire plateful of procuitto de parma today for lunch because of it! :raz:

Yes, at the end of this, the smokers will have quit smoking, and all the rest of us will be addicted to bacon.

I'm back from the volleyball thing, and am tag-teaming with Paul, who will leave in a few minutes to do the parental thing. He's going to call when they leave, and I'll start dinner (if anyone in the family is interested in eating at almost 10:00 tonight). If I don't roast tonight, I'll roast Monday. Promise.

The volleyball thing is really screwing up my life. They announced that Saturday is an all day tournament, which should make smoking butts fun! But, I have a plan, so a week from today, I'll be smoking butt.

And, I could almost kill for a cigarette. This is awful. And, I'm still feeling unbelievably disorganized.

I'm starving because I haven't had anything since lunch. Better go scrounge and then do a bit of house cleaning, since I am having guests. And, do some more planning for food tomorrow. BTW, my mom has come through. She called and said "tomorrow, I'm bringing boiled shrimmp, coctail sauce, guac, hummus, chips and veg." Phew. Saved once again.

Our power just came back on after being out all day (causing Seahawks fans to call their cardiologists) and right away I had to come see how you all are doing. It's so cool to watch you winning out, moment by moment. You each have so many victories every day, how awesome is that?

Dave, that dinner looked seriously excellent!

Just don't stop! You are all doing great! Once you get over the cravings, you will be amazed by the freedom that you feel. You will no longer be trapped by the impossible drives that rule your life.

Keep on, keeping on! You all rock!

"Anybody can make you enjoy the first bite of a dish, but only a real chef can make you enjoy the last.”

Francois Minot

Diinner tonight was a feast fit for a king, or queen in my case.

We started off with cocktails which I did not take pics of. Another Manhattan for me, this time with Regans bitters (absolutely perfect) and more scotch for Don.

I ended up with a ridiculously large roast for three people. We were supposed to have company, but since the weather all around is is awful, they couldn't make it.

gallery_6080_2488_19669.jpg

gallery_6080_2488_4584.jpg

In deference to my husband's recent dental surgery, we ended up with mashed potatoes, but oh my this dinner was awesome.

Prime Rib:

gallery_6080_2488_27399.jpg

gallery_6080_2488_5176.jpg

gallery_6080_2488_58358.jpg

Broccoli au gratin. I used the mustard struesel for this, and a cheese sauce that comibine cheddar, montery jack and parmesan cheeses. I also used panko crumbs for the topping.

gallery_6080_2488_6234.jpg

gallery_6080_2488_13677.jpg

gallery_6080_2488_23724.jpg

yorkshire Puddings. I am so in love with my popover pans for these:

gallery_6080_2488_61768.jpg

gallery_6080_2488_57936.jpg

Mashed potatoes and gravy. Plated:

gallery_6080_2488_26035.jpg

gallery_6080_2488_10012.jpg

Ryan enjoyed a Rob Roy (or shirley temple) for dinner

gallery_6080_2488_31739.jpg

While we had a gorgeous Amarone:

gallery_6080_2488_16223.jpg

I also need to confess, that I not only slipped today, I fell off the wagon with a crash. Half a pack later I was wondering WTF I was doing. Dont' despair folks. I'm not done. It ain't over till the fat lady sings and I'm getting right back on that wagon. Sn no one needs to beat me up for it. I did a fine job of that all by myself.

Marlene

gallery_6080_2488_10012.jpg

Holy crap, Batman! I would kill to have that bit of prime rib with the fat. It looks absolutely amazing! :wub: The gratin made me actually want to eat broccoli, too, and I don't even like that kind of broccoli!

I also need to confess, that I not only slipped today, I fell off the wagon with a crash.  Half a pack later I was wondering WTF I was doing.  Dont' despair folks.  I'm not done. It ain't over till the fat lady sings and I'm getting right back on that wagon.  Sn no one needs to beat me up for it.  I did a fine job of that all by myself.

I don't think anyone here would ever beat you up for it. We all have our addictions (as I crack into another Costco-sized bag of Tim's Sea Salt and Vinegar potato chips). I'm just impressed that you admitted it! And being able to get back on the wagon the second time, is just as important a skill as getting on the first time. (That didn't really make sense, did it? :huh: )

I know I’ve been a bit wordy on this subject, but I feel so intense about it. After quitting, I had a relapse.

I decided it was too tough. I drove to the closest convenience store, I bought a pack of my “favorite” brand. I waited until I was home to complete the ritual.

I located an ashtray, a lighter, and got out the pack. I carefully “packed” the container, opened it up, and took a cigarette out.

I lighted up.

First thing I noticed was how nasty it smelled. It also seemed so strange to be doing this inside my house. Sort of like sh*ting in the corner of the living room. (Sorry to be so graphic.)

I tried to smoke. I lasted about half a cigarette.

With the doors wide open, I put the cigarette out. I then washed my face. I changed my clothes. I still felt dirty. I ended up taking a shower.

I actually kept the cigs for almost a year. Somehow having them near me, while not touching them, made me feel strong and in control.

It’s the hardest thing I’ve ever done. Don’t underestimate your accomplishment – and don’t be proud of anything else.

Go guys!!! You can do it!!

"Anybody can make you enjoy the first bite of a dish, but only a real chef can make you enjoy the last.”

Francois Minot

I lapsed, too, today. I was at the volleyball game. Another mother which whom I have become pals was there, too. She's also a smoker. It's not uncommon for us to go for a walk. So, she offered me a cigarette and I smoked it. It should have been pleasurable but I felt guilty. So, after Paul left to do the volleyball duty, I did penance. I mopped the laundry room floor. Yikes. So, I pick myself up and dust myself off and keep going and keep trying.

Just don't stop!  You are all doing great! Once you get over the cravings, you will be amazed by the freedom that you feel.  You will no longer be trapped by the impossible drives that rule your life.

Plus the extra benefit of all those better functioning taste buds! :biggrin:

It seems a bit weird to say that reading a blog like this has been enjoyable, but it has been.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I lapsed, too, today.  I was at the volleyball game.  Another mother which whom I have become pals was there, too.  She's also a smoker.  It's not uncommon for us to go for a walk.  So, she offered me a cigarette and I smoked it.  It should have been pleasurable but I felt guilty.  So, after Paul left to do the volleyball duty, I did penance.  I mopped the laundry room floor.  Yikes.  So, I pick myself up and dust myself off and keep going and keep trying.

Susan, I have been smoke free for six years.... DON'T stop trying! you can do it!!!

Francois Minot

That may be the case I have had a nasal discharge of what I can only imagine to be tar and I have heard this is common from others I have known who have stopped.

Yum. :wink:

Go, guys! You're all doing a great job. Two steps forward, one step back - you're still ahead of the game.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Quite frankly, I didn't think that dinner was going to materialize tonight, but Diana called just before they left the volleyball place and said that yes, both of them wanted dinner. Most often when we get home at 9:30 after v-ball, it's just grazing.

So, I got the oven going (400 degrees) and got that bag of new potatoes that needed to be used. Quarterered, drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled lightly with Goya Adobo.

gallery_6263_35_23356.jpg

This is the venison. Two backstraps (they weighed just over 3/4 lb). Since I was worried this wouldn't be enough, I also removed this little package of "venison" chops that I had espied. This was from the professionally butchered deer, so I haven't a clue what part of the deer they came from. Rubbed with a little olive oil and salt and peppered.

gallery_6263_35_42920.jpg

Paul and Diana got home about 15 minutes after I started, and the potatoes were in a very hot (450) oven to get them going. I reduced the heat to 400, and the potatoes were doing very nicely, so I heated up a pan and seared the tenderloins.

gallery_6263_35_34780.jpg

Peter thought they looked like strange thick bacon at this point. After fully-seared, onto the pan in the oven with the potatoes.

I seared the chops.

gallery_6263_35_1196.jpg

They look sort of like scallops, don't they? I had intended to just do these in the pan, but as the pan started getting black and things started to get a little smokey, I added them to the pan in the oven.

Promptly when the tenderloins reached 120 at the thickest portion, out they came for a foil-tented rest.

Meantime, Diana started on salad. A clean it out salad. A bag of mixed greens. That handful of dried cranberries that was rolling around. The half a handful of chopped almonds (I always wonder why I save those little bits, and tonight I was reminded why). A simple vinegarette of dijon, cider vinegar, a bit of apple juice and olive oil.

gallery_6263_35_5570.jpg

And, the meat.

gallery_6263_35_7393.jpg

This is wonderful venison. Tender, with none of that gamey quality that is so often associated with venison. The chops were like butter, and the tenderloin had a bit more tooth. Sort of like a a porterhouse, if you will.

This was an absolutely fab meal, and, since the meat was defrosted, was on the table in about 40 minutes. Peter had eaten (ramen noodles) earlier because he couldn't wait, and Heidi had eaten at her PCA's, so it was a delightful meal with Paul, Diana and I. An adult meal. Volleyball went very well, so she was in a great mood. The meal was absolutely divine. The salad was a perfect foil for the meat. We didn't feel like wine, so it was gin and tonic with tons of lime for me, and beer for Paul. Diana opted for her normal post-volleyball water.

Dinner was so late, and I can't sleep right after eating that I'm losing my resolve to get to church in the morning (plus I have a ton of stuff to do to get ready for the party), so there may be a breakfast in my future tomorrow.

Susan, how about making some hummus? Or is that too adventurous for the kids?

Hummus is very popular with my kids, and I even have some frozen mashed chickpeas in the freezer.

Thanks, Rachel, for the suggestions!

Susan, just as a reminder, my name is Russell, not Rachel. I understand ...

You can call me whatever you want, but don't call me late for dinner. I wouldn't mind trying some of that venison.

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

Susan, how about making some hummus? Or is that too adventurous for the kids?

Hummus is very popular with my kids, and I even have some frozen mashed chickpeas in the freezer.

Thanks, Rachel, for the suggestions!

Susan, just as a reminder, my name is Russell, not Rachel. I understand ...

You can call me whatever you want, but don't call me late for dinner. I wouldn't mind trying some of that venison.

Russell, I'm not quite that fuzzy. What I should have said was "and Rachel, thanks for all of the suggestions you made"!

But, I need more help for tomorrow. Diana has declared that she wants two kinds of wings. Buffalo and honey garlic.

So, for the former, I think I need to just bake the wings (in deference to my dad) and then toss them with some Frank's hot sauce (mixed with butter????). For the honey garlic, do I just mix together some honey and garlic? Add some soy? Bake them ahead of time and use the stuff as a glaze? Marinade them in something? Add some soy? Time for a tag team recipe!

Would you rather make soy sauce chicken wings with honey & garlic? You keep mentioning soy.

1 cup soy sauce

2-3 cloves of minced garlic

1-2 Tablespoon(s) of honey

1 stalk of scallions (green onions, chopped in 1/2 inch sections)

2-3 slices of fresh ginger root (not the powdered stuff), if available

2 Tablespoon(s) of sherry, if available

marinade the wings for about an hour & bake.

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

Despite the pleas for those I'm leaving behind as I go out of town, I couldn't bring myself to fire up a big solid chunk of flesh. Still, I wanted to be in the spirit of subjecting a relatively dense mass of meat to heat. Plus, the overwhelming consensus in the house was for beef. So I compromised.

First, tonight's (first) cocktail:

gallery_6393_2478_25927.jpg

This is a Last Word, modified. At Pegu Club, they make it with equal parts gin, green Chartreuse, Maraschino and lime juice -- one of those equal-parts drinks. I doubled the gin in proportion to the other ingredients, and I liked it better. I'm still not sure it's going to be a favorite, though. It's quite sweet, though the herbal note of the Chartreuse is still apparent. To cooking.

I trimmed three artichokes. They've turned up in volume here lately, and they're almost affordable.

gallery_6393_2478_7718.jpg

They went into this ridiculously large saucepan, which, because it's big and round and sort of good for a lot of things but not particularly great at anything, my daughter calls "Mr. Shaw."

gallery_6393_2478_16236.jpg

I found a slab of flank steak that could almost be called cute -- a little over a pound:

gallery_6393_2478_28047.jpg

I butterflied it:

gallery_6393_2478_20688.jpg

Then laid it on a sheet of plastic wrap and layered it with roasted peppers, ricotta cheese, spinach and reconstituted dried shitakes:

gallery_6393_2478_27865.jpg

The plastic helps when rolling it up:

gallery_6393_2478_20684.jpg

gallery_6393_2478_13830.jpg

Then I tied, and tidied up:

gallery_6393_2478_3494.jpg

I filtered the mushroom liquid

gallery_6393_2478_6064.jpg

then reduced it, added some brown sauce and a lump of tomato paste.

gallery_6393_2478_9018.jpg

Later, just before serving, I stirred in a teaspoon of Dijon mustard and a tablespoon of butter -- sort of a Shitake Sauce Robert.

When the artichokes were done, I stripped the leaves and arranged them with a lemon-crab mayonnaise for an appetizer.

gallery_6393_2478_27325.jpg

Time for another cocktail, a Bee's Knees: applejack, lemon juice and honey.

gallery_6393_2478_28088.jpg

In honor of Marlene, I used Canadian honey:

gallery_6393_2478_17418.jpg

When the roast was almost done (125F), I pulled it, brushed on some mustard, and sprinkled it with sesame seeds. I put in back in the oven to let the sesame seeds toast.

gallery_6393_2478_28050.jpg

I did a quick slice of the artichoke bottoms, and crisped them in olive oil.

gallery_6393_2478_14748.jpg

White and wild rice with toasted pine nuts finished the plate:

gallery_6393_2478_32228.jpg

Considering it was all made up this afternoon, I was pretty pleased. Next time, I'd leave out the ricotta, and use duxelles instead of the shitakes. The rice needed something, but I feel like I'm operating on half a brain, and can't figure it out. Shallots, maybe?

I'm exhausted.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.