• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog Tag Team IV: Marlene, Dave, snowangel - Cold Turkey, Three Ways

If you're looking for spicy and something to do with your hands :biggrin: you should try Tinga. You can adjust the level of heat by increasing or decreasing the amount of chipotle (the real heat is in the sauce in the can, a little dab will do ya!) Just put the brisket on the night before or in the morning. The only real sticker to this recipe to make it ^perfect^ is to use Mexican chorizo if you can find it. Farmer Johns works fine but it is lacking a little something. The veggies are the onions and the tomatoes unless you want to garnish with some avocado, which is a delicious addition. (Oh, the "hands" part comes with shredding the brisket.)

I'll post pix tonight for the braised beef shanks. They are almost done but I'm running out to work out shortly and will finish the sauce when I get back.

Wow great blog. Inspiring, so much so that I just ran my pack under the kitchen sink (so I wont go digging for them in the garbage later)and am going to give this a shot. I am curious to see how long it will take our palates to start coming back and to what degree. Cheers

Matt welcome! I'll have more to say on the patch later, right now I'm in the middle of dinner prep. I especially like the fact that you're joining us because you've got a lot of years ahead of you that I'd hate to see impacted. Besides, just think, you'll be able to have an extra drink at Pegu, instead of running out for a smoke. :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Susan, I thought you were roasting venision on Saturday?  Speaking of Saturday, I want to make a broccoli gratin to go along with my roast (gee guess what the roast will be?).  I'm searching about, but haven't found a decent gratin recipe yet.  What are the chances of a tag team Brocoli Gratin recipe?

I use Ina garten's spinach gratinand its really delicious. I dont see why you couldn't sub broccoli for the spinach.

Edited by CaliPoutine (log)

Another question.  When I was digging in the freezer, I spotted some pork.  Then, when I was rummaging in the cupboard, I found some char sui sauce.  So, the pork strips are marinating.  How long should they marinate?  I know I bake the strips.  Should I wipe of the marinate (it's pretty "gloppy" stuff).  Did I read somewhere about baking these strips on racks?  Temp?

If the strips aren't too long, I usually put a foil covered insulated cookie sheet on the bottom-most shelf and using coathangar "S" hooks, hang the pork from the top rack at the highest position. I leave the "goop" on and although about half of it slithers off to hit the foil--- what remains is a great crust. I prefer to do this in a low slow oven for a long time, rather than jet thru it an have a chance of burning it. Besides, what's better than char-shu sliced with fresh veggies in steamed rice paper wraps? Or left over and crepe-ed in the morning with a bowl of jook?

"Cogito Ergo Dim Sum; Therefore I think these are Pork Buns"

hvrobinson@sbcglobal.net

I'm going to roast venison on Saturday, but that doesn't preclude venison tomorrow night also!

I recommend home-made venison chili. You can make it nice and spicy, and it won't seem too similar to Saturday's roast venison.

April

One cantaloupe is ripe and lush/Another's green, another's mush/I'd buy a lot more cantaloupe/ If I possessed a fluoroscope. Ogden Nash

I'd been avoiding this thread till just now because the "cold turkey" in the thread title made me think it was all about, uh, cold turkey (turkey salad, poached turkey etc.), and I don't particularly like cold turkey.

Wasn't it Mark Twain that said, "Quitting smoking is easy - I've done it hundreds of times"? Yeah, I've been finding it easy, too. :sad:

Add me to the cheering section. Thanks for doing this.

Whew. That was exhausting, but fun, and good. Lots of little prep.

First, I toasted the schezuan peppercorns. Then, into my trusty mortar and pestle for pulverizing. It felt really good to smash away.

gallery_6263_35_41258.jpg

Our cook gave that mortar and pestle to me when we left Thailand. Please also note that I have put it on the floor which I mopped and waxed just for you! I hate this floor, but we are waiting to replace it until we tear up the carpet in the living room, since it is an open area. There are hardwood floors under the carpet and I want to see them before I choose a kitchen floor.

Next, I put the ground peppercorns through a sieve. There was a lot of debris (twigs primarily).

gallery_6263_35_22580.jpg

The house was beautifully perfumed after the toasting and grinding. This really is a wonderful spice.

These are the greens I used for the Hong Kong noodles (which I served over rice, as noted above topic). Aren't they beautiful? What are they? Peter thought the flowers were cute.

gallery_6263_35_43502.jpg

Prep is done. I'm ready for a drink and then to cook.

gallery_6263_35_14131.jpg

I just love custard cups. I saw them in a store recently marked as prep bowls. I'm old enough that they are custard cups.

As soon as my camera is charged up, I'll post about dinner!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Looking good Susan! Dinner was amazing. I only hope Ah Leung thinks I did it justice.

I had a bunch of garlic to peel, which I hate doing. We found this little gaget a few weeks ago and it seemed a good time to try it out. I'm here to tell you that it works like a charm:

gallery_6080_2479_39487.jpg

Mis for the Honey Garlic Pork ( funny story about the garlic in a minute)

gallery_6080_2479_15517.jpg

I bought a centre cut pork loin because I failed to note that the instructions said rib portion. Oh well:

gallery_6080_2479_26629.jpg

gallery_6080_2479_56845.jpg

gallery_6080_2479_46260.jpg

I failed to take any pictures of the asparagus process except the shocking in cold water after blanching:

gallery_6080_2479_14196.jpg

The finished dish:

gallery_6080_2479_45377.jpg

gallery_6080_2479_11486.jpg

This was awesome and the Tag Team Asparagus was terrific. Next time I'd add a litle ginger to it I think.

Ryan decided that popcorn would be a good dessert, which he promptly took downstairs to watch Survivor. Ugh.

gallery_6080_2479_63222.jpg

I'm pleased to say the rice cooker worked just fine. I used long grain rice tonight and again used the one to one ratio using the rice cooker cup. I did not wash the rice this time. I did check on the water level and it was pretty close to the water line. Not right on but close.

As for the garlic, well. I needed 6 or 7 cloves for the pork dish and 3 cloves for the asparagus. I dilligently chopped and minced and put them in separate bowls. However in my funk, I grabbed the smaller bowl for the pork dish without noticing. It wasn't until I dumped the garlic into the wok for the aspargus that my befuddled brain determined that it was an awful lot of garlic in there and I realized what I had done. So I had really garlicy asparagus (no real hardship) and less garlicky honey garlic pork.

But it was damn good all the same. I think I will now have a drink.

Marlene

.  Besides, just think, you'll be able to have an extra drink at Pegu, instead of running out for a smoke.  :biggrin:

That I fear will be the biggest problem I tend to chain smoke when drinking :shock: WILLPOWER :smile:

For me, this was the godsend of the smoking ban in NYC. Say what you will about it, but it got me to quit smoking by making me feel guilty for leaving my friends at the bar.

Congrats, Matt!

ETA: That dinner looks delicious, Marlene...hope you're enjoying that cocktail. :wink:

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Here's my dinner, plated.

gallery_6263_35_28230.jpg

This was absolutely wonderful. The only thing I would have done differently was added a few more chili peppers to the Ma Po Tofu, along with more of the chili bean sauce. But, as I mentioned above, I'm way into spicy right now.

My only warning with these two recipes is that it makes enough for an army. I have more than 1/2 of each dish left over, but I'm seeing my cousin tomorrow, and he loves my leftovers. I'll keep some and share some!

So, I think you can plan on seeing the Ma Po Tofu on my breakfast plate.

I had a bunch of garlic to peel, which I hate doing. We found this little gaget a few weeks ago and it seemed a good time to try it out. I'm here to tell you that it works like a charm
That is one of the most simple/efficent tools I have.
First, I toasted the schezuan peppercorns. Then, into my trusty mortar and pestle for pulverizing. It felt really good to smash away.

Next, I put the ground peppercorns through a sieve. There was a lot of debris (twigs primarily).

The house was beautifully perfumed after the toasting and grinding. This really is a wonderful spice.

I was doing the same thing an hour ago for a schezuan tincture I have been working on.

Edited by M.X.Hassett (log)

I know how hard it is to quit. I tried three times. First I stopped on my birthday. I went 8 months. When I started again, I was in full denial – bought a single pack, told myself I would only smoke ONE a night. That lasted about three nights.

The next try was with an ex-husband. We were both highly addicted smokers. We decided trying together made sense. I remember standing in a grocery store, he held up a bunch of broccoli, and asking “Is this broccoli?” I answered, “I think so”. What we really were saying is “Do you want broccoli for dinner?” and “Yes”. Can you imagine what our fellow shoppers were thinking?

That time, after the marriage failed, I made no mistake about going back. I bought a full carton.

The last time, I did everything wrong: I did it on a three day weekend, I told no one (no one to admit defeat to…) I made no plans (no one to support me), I sat alone in a smoking hotel room (full of smoking smell and ash trays) , I was amazed when I didn’t think about smoking for two minutes.

When I returned to work the day after the weekend, I announced to my boss that I’d found the way to make a three day weekend feel like a two week vacation… quit smoking! (I meant it was the longest three days of my life!!!)

I used the gum. I then became hopelessly addicted to the gum. I planned it just like I used to plan cigarettes – did I have enough, would last until tomorrow?

I was now a slave to the gum. I quit smoking on Jan. 1st, 1999 (so my first anniversary would be 1/1/00). ! finally quit the gum 16 months later. One day of withdrawals, in hindsight, it was easy.

I amazed that I am now six years smoke-free. If I can do it, anyone can. I was the smoker that woke up two to three times a night for a smoke, had one lit before my feet ever hit the carpet.

Good luck and best wishes to all of you. It’s the best gift you can give yourselves and all around you. GO FREEDOM!!!!!!

"Anybody can make you enjoy the first bite of a dish, but only a real chef can make you enjoy the last.”

Francois Minot

OK, so I already confessed to Marlene, so I might as well fess up here. This morning as the boys were getting ready for school and I was calmly walking out to get the paper, I found myself searching my car, including under the mats, for a delicious and satisfying tube of tobacco. No dice, though. I went back in, made some more coffee, ate a couple of handfuls of trail mix and an apple, and I was OK-or at least I didn't smoke.

I would have though. Like a stack, I tell you. Like a big puffing stack.

Things are better now, though.

We had marinated, grilled flank steak tonight with fresh tortillas, avacadoes, grilled peppers and onions, and black beans. Really good and the boys actually came back and said thanks twice. High praise, believe me.

Tomorrow is another day.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

It's the best when kids ask for more. Ryan actually wanted more asparagus tonight!

Marlene

Way to go, Brooks! Matt, Maggie and Dave, how are you doing?

I, quite frankly, am a wreck. I was so spacey today that I didn't really forget to buy the damned noodles, rather I forgot a whole bag of groceries at the market. Fortunately, I paid by check, so they called me. Since I'm going back on Sunday (kids were coming home, so I couldn't just up and leave), they put everything away, made a list, and I can pick the stuff up on Sunday. They know me there.

Not only am I spacey, I have been somewhat clumsy. I can't recall the last time I cut myself while working in the kitchen. Well, my left index finger is sporting two cuts and one burn. Right index finger a cut on the tip. Inside of right thumb has a nice slice from a piece of paper. I should have spent a lot of time today working on a drywalling project but I don't want to wreck it.

I'm not even sleeping well.

Tomorrow night just might be take-out or delivery.

I've decided I can't even allow myself to think I might want a cigarette.

It's the best when kids ask for more.  Ryan actually wanted more asparagus tonight!

So the extra garlic worked out well.

After a steak with marrow tonight it was torture not to smoke if it where not for the fact that I have no cigs in the house I think I may have folded. Like Brooks I also found myself looking under the couch for one. Marlene how is the patch working for you, I was in the hospital once for a two week stint and the patch did not help much. I have chewed up a pen and a chopstick. Cold turkey from a pack and a half a day WILLPOWER :smile: .

Edited by M.X.Hassett (log)

Here's the thing I'm finding with the patch and I think it's mostly mental which is what I was having a problem with. You can't smoke with the patch because of possible nicotine overdose. The one thing I've never had a problem with is in areas I can't smoke. My brain or urges just seem to go to sleep. So it seems to be with the patch. Since I know I can't, I'm not. And it's not as hard.

The one thing I'm going to go look for tomorrow is a box of those plastic coffee stir sticks!

Marlene

This is great my new tenant just decided to quit with us. He likes food also.

The more, the merrier!

Marlene

A bedtime converstation with Ryan on dinner tomorrow.

Ryan: What's for dinner tomorrow?

Me: I'm not sure yet.

Ryan: KFC?

Me: During a blog? I think not!

Ryan: Why, don't the people on your website eat KFC?

Me: Not so's they'd admit it. :biggrin:

So what should we have for dinner?

Marlene

I was all set for venison tomorrow night. Then, I had thoughts that perhaps I am dangerous to my health in the kitchen (no trips to the ER for stitches this week, please).

But, I have ground venison. I have ground elk.

I think elk burgers on the grill tomorrow night.

Marlene, listen to Matt. Steak. Or, you and I could both do burgers...