• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Flavored Cordial Syrups

KatieLoeb

I just received a box of flavored cordial syrups I ordered from Fee Brothers. I'm hoping to fool around and make some new and interesting cocktails with these. In my assortment I have Falernum (please remember I live in PA and have no access whatsover to the real deal), Orgeat, American Beauty Grenadine, Orange Flower, and Golden Passion Fruit syrups. I realize there are recipes on the Fee Brothers site, but I have greater faith in the brain trust right here in the Cocktails forum.

So have at it. What should I try?

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Well with the orgeat, you can make one of those classic Trader Vic thingies.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Well with the orgeat, you can make one of those classic Trader Vic thingies.

I kind of did this as the warning shot over the bow. I mixed:

2 oz. Coconut rum

1 oz. Stroh 80

.75 oz. Triple Sec

.5 oz. Orgeat syrup

2 oz Orange juice

Juice of one fresh lemon

Two dashes Orange bitters

Shake over ice and dump into highball glass. Top with 2 oz. club soda and stir.

It was delicious but too sweet and tropical, especially for January. But it was definitely the Trader Vic's vibe. All I needed was the cheesy plastic Tiki highball cup. :rolleyes:

Round two of this was made with the juice of one fresh lime and was far better balanced. Less sweet and more flavors coming through, instead of tasting like the latest flavor of "Tropical Life Savers".

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

If you want to go a little simplier try.

2.0 oz aged rum

.75 oz fresh lime

.50 curacao

One barspoon Orgeat

Shake strain over fresh cracked ice. garnish with an orange slice. This is rather dry. You may need to add a splash of simple. Don't overwelm it with the almond, the orgeat should be the subtle breeze swaying your hammock, not a gale capsizing your rum runner. Best stuff on earth.

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

I just received a box of flavored cordial syrups I ordered from Fee Brothers.  I'm hoping to fool around and make some new and interesting cocktails with these.  In my assortment I have Falernum (please remember I live in PA and have no access whatsover to the real deal), Orgeat, American Beauty Grenadine, Orange Flower, and Golden Passion Fruit syrups.  I realize there are recipes on the Fee Brothers site, but I have greater faith in the brain trust right here in the Cocktails forum.

So have at it.  What should I try?

Try recipes from Beachbum Berry's Grog Log and Intoxica! When I feel up to it I'll pull a few.

The recipe Alchemist sent is more or less the classic Mai Tai, without 0.25 oz. simple syrup.

Personally, I would lay off combining a flavored rum with the syrups: too many fruity flavors at once.

How about a modified Aviation:

1.5 oz. gin

0.75 oz. orange flower syrup

and 0.75 oz. lemon juice?

All good ideas so far - thanks! Keep 'em coming.

I think I'm going to try the orange flower in some of my herbal tea infused cachaca and see how that works. The tea has some orange peel in it so I'm hoping it'll pick up that note and carry it through the drink a bit more.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

For some reason, it doesn't seem like Monin sells their Orgeat syrup in the US.

They do sell a cloudy "almond" syrup.

Same stuff, different name? Or do I need to add orange or rose flower water to drinks made with it?

-Erik

edit - for some reason there are more typos on wednesday than any other day.

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I also picked up the fee bros. concoctions. I have a question, however...are these syrups made with ACTUAL nuts and ginger? I almost feel I have to put a nut allergy allert on my cocktail list.

On a side note, how do you use orange blossom and rose water? I picked up some bottles from whole foods, but they seem very perfumy, or am I just using too much?

I also picked up the fee bros. concoctions.  I have a question, however...are these syrups made with ACTUAL nuts and ginger?  I almost feel I have to put a nut allergy allert on my cocktail list.

On a side note, how do you use orange blossom and rose water?  I picked up some bottles from whole foods, but they seem very perfumy, or am I just using too much?

The orange and rose flower water you bought at Whole Foods is probably the full strength Middle Eastern variety. Quite strong and a very little bit goes an awfully long way. The Fee Brothers Orange Flower Cordial syrup is exactly that - a syrup that seems as if it's been sweetened up a bit and comes with a shaker top like on a bottle of bitters, so you can add a "dash". Definitely less like drinking cologne and more like tasting a perfumey orange.

A little tiny hint orange flower water in a gin martini might be quite tasty. Many folks are swearing by a bit of orange bitters in their martinis, so why not? The rose flower I'd have to think about what I'd do with it, although I'm thinking something with vanilla vodka, a tiny splash of limoncello and a whisper of rose might be nice.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I know this an undertaking of Herculean effort, but nothing sublime is ever easy. The Ramos gin fizz. Described by C.H.B. Jr. requires eight to twelve earnest, buff gentlemen to shake this cocktail till their arms are tired and they must grudgingly pass the nectar to the next, for further shaking.

I would do it a little like this.

Twenty four hours before you are planning to make this cocktail, get your freezer as cold as possible, and then put filtered water in vessels that can easily be sculpted to fit into your favored shaking apparatus. then find the best of...

2.0 oz strongly backboned gin (beefeater is the favorite of my favorite mixologist.)

.50 oz lemon juice

.50 oz lime juice

.50 oz simple (I am teasing this since you are working with a syrup, not a water)

1.0 oz cream

1 large egg white (put in first if there is the merest plume of yolk start over.)

1 barspoon orange flower syrup (or better, go get a bottle of French-made orange flower water because it is less oily than the orange flower water made in the Middle East. Then bump the simple syrup up to .75 oz and put in 2-10 drops of orange flower water depending on your palate instead of the syrup.)

Merest hint of soda

Shake all ingredients except for the soda until your arms ache. Then shake a little further. Strain into a chilled highball glass. Put lip of freshly opened soda bottle on rim of glass. Turning glass 360 degrees, dribble soda in until you have reached positive miniscus. The first sip of this cocktail should leave a whisper of espuma on your nose.

edited to correct typos

Edited by Alchemist (log)

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

• 4 weeks later...
Katie,

I've been thinking about ordering myself a box of cordial syrups from Fees too.  Have you been pleased with the quality of the products?

-Rick

Rick:

The ones I've gotten - Orgeat, Falernum, Orange Flower, Passionfruit and American Beauty Grenadine have all been top notch. Granted if I could find a bottle of real Falernum I'd be happier, but the cordial syrup works pretty well. The orgeat is great too. The grenadine is stronger and less sweet than the commercial brands like Rose's. I haven't fooled with the Passionfruit much yet, but I did taste it and it's quite flavorful. Orange Flower is subtle and very nice. Not nearly as overwhelming as those Middle Eastern ones that are used to scent desserts or couscous.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Granted if I could find a bottle of real Falernum I'd be happier, but the cordial syrup works pretty well.

If you're willing to mak e a trip down to DC, several of the liquor stores here carry Vlevet Falernum. Very different from the Fee's: less syrupy and different aromatics.

I think this is the store where I buy mine:

Circle Liquors of Chevy Chase

5501 Connecticut Ave NW

Washington, DC 20015

(202) 966-0600

Katie!

Next time you're in NYC I MUST take you to LeNelll's Not only do they have Vlevet Falernum, they also have tons of bitters and the largest selection of Burbon in NYC. Anyway Saturday I was hanging out there and they were having a Creme de Banana taste off! (just for fun) 1st Place - Hiram Walker, 2nd Place Marrie Blizzard, 3rd place Bol's, 4th place Dekuyper.

I even shot a video of it but it's too huge to put online.

Katie!

Next time you're in NYC I MUST take you to LeNelll's Not only do they have Vlevet Falernum, they also have tons of bitters and the largest selection of Burbon in NYC.  Anyway Saturday I was hanging out there and they were having a Creme de Banana taste off! (just for fun)  1st Place - Hiram Walker, 2nd Place Marrie Blizzard, 3rd place Bol's, 4th place Dekuyper.

I even shot a video of it but it's too huge to put online.

Thanks Dave! I'll take you up on that kind offer next time I'm around for any extended time...

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Katie,

i also got some stuff from Fee Bros. What a pleasure they are to deal with. Very reasonable shipping prices as well, unlike the rip off shipping from Buffalo Trace to get Peychauds bitters.

Anyway, we made the Cardinal Cocktail last night to try the orgeat

Shake in iced cocktail shaker & strain

1 1/2 oz light rum (4.5 cl, 3/8 gills)

1 oz fresh lime juice (3 cl, 1/4 gills)

1/4 oz grenadine (6 dashes, 1/16 gills)

1/4 oz triple sec (6 dashes, 1/16 gills)

1/4 oz orgeat (6 dashes, 1/16 gills)

Serve in a cocktail glass

receipe from the Cocktail DB.

This was very bright, the lime was the first taste with the almond of the orgeat on the finish. I like the lime. Maggie thought that it may be better with a little less lime juice. She may be right, but it was a tasty and refreshing cocktail.

Also used the Peach Bitters we got to make a Flying Fish

Stir in mixing glass with ice & strain

1 3/4 oz gin (5 cl, 7/16 gills)

3/4 oz orange curacao (2 cl, 3/16 gills)

1/4 oz maraschino liqueur (6 dashes, 1/16 gills)

1 dash peach bitters

(Substitute: Cordial Medoc for curacao & bitters)

Serve in a cocktail glass

again very nice, used the Luxardo orange which is another cool item

Nice work Mike! Those both sound delicious.

Aren't the folks at Fee's the best? A real old family company providing real customer service. Gotta love it.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...

I received my Fee Brothers order this past month and have had a bit of time to test them out. I picked up some 4/5 pint bottles of pineapple, raspberry, orgeat, falernum, and American Beauty grenadine syrups and some small bottles of old-fashioned, orange, and peach bitters.

I wrote up my initial impressions (which haven't changed much, if at all) a few weeks ago on my blog, so I won't just paste them all. You can find them here: Fee Brothers: Syrup and Bitter Tasting

I checked the rules to see if I was allowed to post links to content that I had created, but I found nothing, so please chide me ruthelessly if such a link is inappropriate. :)

Edited by stickyii (log)

Rick

Pennsylvania

Kaiser Penguin

I received my Fee Brothers order this past month and have had a bit of time to test them out.  I picked up some 4/5 pint bottles of pineapple, raspberry, orgeat, falernum, and American Beauty grenadine syrups and some small bottles of old-fashioned, orange, and peach bitters.

I wrote up my initial impressions (which haven't changed much, if at all) a few weeks ago on my blog, so I won't just paste them all.  You can find them here: Fee Brothers: Syrup and Bitter Tasting

I checked the rules to see if I was allowed to post links to content that I had created, but I found nothing, so please chide me ruthelessly if such a link is inappropriate. :)

You're always welcome to post links to content you've created. However, your link doesn't seem to be working and I'd be quite interested in seeing your impressions. You would do us all a favor by posting the info here. Is cutting and pasting too much trouble? Pretty please? :smile:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I double-checked, and the link should be working fine... someone found their way over to post not long after I posted here.

Give this puppy a copy/paste: http://www.kaiserpenguin.com/?p=18

That should take you right there.  Let me know if not, and I'll investigate/give up and paste the info.

-Rick

OK - now it seems to be working.

I really enjoyed the American Beauty Grenadine, since I don't have any homemade to compare it to. A little goes a long way and it really provides a lot of color in my latest drink of choice, the Red Feather Boa, a rye and maraschino based concoction of my own making.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I definitely didn't hate the American Beauty like I did the raspberry syrup. If you feel like making it yourself sometime to compare, it's super easy.

Buy yourself some 100% pomegranate juice (the POM brand is what I use).

2c pomegranate juice

2c sugar

1oz vodka

Heat the sugar and pomegranate juice until the sugar dissolves. Cool to at least room temperature, add the vodka (its sole purpose is as a preservative), and bottle. Done!

It's definitely not as potent as manufactured grenadines, but it's so delicious. To adjust, you usually double to triple the quantity asked for by a recipe. I usually just do it to taste.

Edited by stickyii (log)

Rick

Pennsylvania

Kaiser Penguin

Katie,

I have a bottle of John D Taylors Velvet Falernum that I brought back from Barbados a couple of years back. The folks we rented from there used to serve drinks in the yard overlooking the water every evening and one of their favorites was 'Corn and Oil' which the way they made it is good barbados rum layered on falernum. So in keeping with my tendency to bring back bottles of everything from everywhere, along with the 8 bottles of Cockspur VSOR, I brought back 1 litre of falernum.

A few minutes ago a had a little taste and found it quite lovely, but sweet. It tastes quite gingery to me.

Now what shall I use it for?

Katie,

I have a bottle of John D Taylors Velvet Falernum that I brought back from Barbados a couple of years back.  The folks we rented from there used to serve drinks in the yard overlooking the water every evening and one of their favorites was 'Corn and Oil' which the way they made it is good barbados rum layered on falernum.  So in keeping with my tendency to bring back bottles of everything from everywhere, along with the 8 bottles of Cockspur VSOR, I brought back 1 litre of falernum. 

A few minutes ago a had a little taste and found it quite lovely, but sweet.  It tastes quite gingery to me. 

Now what shall I use it for?

My favorite falernum drink was created by Murray Stenson at Zig Zag Cafe in Seattle. I believe he calls it the Nightwatch.

Build in an ice-filled glass:

2 oz Cruzan Blackstrap Rum (or another dark, rich navy rum)

1/4 oz Velvet Falernum

1/2 oz fresh lime juice

Stir & enjoy.

Paul Clarke

Seattle

The Cocktail Chronicles