• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Member Introduction

Mister Hand

I've been lurking on the board for a while now getting great information from the folks here. After not seeing the questions I had asked specifically I figured I'd sign up and ask them myself.

I was a long-time beer drinker since it was less expensive than the hard stuff for a college student to afford and you normally knew exactly what you were getting.

A few years back a weekly poker game started up and I found that beer wasn't cutting it anymore. The issue was less the taste and more the after-effects; one or two I was ready for a nap.

Mixed drinks didn't have the same effect. The LIT being my favorite. Eventually mixing it with so many ingredients became a pain. I also thought that I was short-changing myself by not actually tasting any of the individual ingredients.

The first rum I tried was plain ol' Captain Morgan, which I've come to understand is the tap water of rum world, not too surprising I guess since it's so ubiquitous. Bacardi 'Superior' was also available but neither was particularly good without Coke in it.

I wanted something I could drink neat or on the rocks. After reading the recommendations found here I was able to track down some Mount Gay Extra Old, which I will keep at the poker haven. I cracked it open and tried it for the first time last night.

In anticipation of Super Bowl parties this weekend I found another liquor store that carried Cruzan Estate Diamond (which I'm enjoying as I type this).

I did have a few question though; when drinking the Extra Old I immediately realized it was much more 'potent' than the CM and Bacardi I had been drinking (the guy next to me told me he was getting a contact high from my glass). I was afraid that adding water would take away from the flavour but I eventually added some ice to it. Do most of you enjoy drinking yours neat or do you add water or ice to it? If you do add to it do you feel you're diluting the flavour or are you tasting it as it was intended by doing that?

Also, if you are drinking it on the rocks, do you worry about any taste the ice might impart to it as it melts?

And how often do you enjoy a glass?

That's about it. Thanks for reading!

I enjoy Extra Old neat, I haven't even tried it with ice or anything else, since I like it the way it is. Mostly, I try rums neat first and only if they taste a bit harsh to me, I may add some ice or water.

I only enjoy rum about twice-thrice per month, one drink only at a time. In unusual occasions (like if we are having a gathering of friends or such), I may drink a bit more (if the guests are people to whom I'm likely to offer some rum to).

I don't usually get drunk on rum or anything else.

I sometimes drink on the rocks and add water rather than neat depending on the rum and my mood.

For exampl, Cruzan Single Barrel is (a little overly) oaky and for me is a neat one. Mount Gay XO has a little more of a bite and if I have had a bit to drink before hand then it is fine neat (as the previous booze takes the edge off) otherwise a bit of ice.

The ice never really has a chance to impart any flavour as I have finished my glass!!

I don't drink as much these days as I used to. At my worst, a crappy job in a bottle shop, seemed to drink 3 bottles of Mount Gay Eclipse a week.

First off, LOVE your user name :smile:

Though I very much like a Dark & Stormy (Gosling's Black Seal and [preferably Barritt's Bermuda] Ginger Beer), I also like to sip a glass of Gosling's neat now and then, maybe a couple of times a month. I might have a Dark & Stormy two or three times a week.

I'll also sip a glass of Havana Club Anejo Reserva or 7 Year Old a few times a month as well.

Thanks,

kevin

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

Hello,

As far as adding ice or water - it really depends on my mood. Adding water doesn't dilute the flavor (unless you overdo it) but on the contrary often brings out additional flavors. Especially stuff like Rhum Barbancourt really benefits from a little ice or water. Some people claim that using ice is bad since your taste buds are less effective on cold drinks. This may be true to some extent but I am not that religious about rum drinking so if it's hot out I often use ice. The only sin in rum drinking is mixing with coke so go right ahead and use ice. For the most part you should try your rums both neat and on the rocks and enjoy the differences.

As far as quantity goes I usually enjoy a few classes with friends two days a week, amounting to a bottle or so a month. I currently enjoy Havana Club Cuban Barrel Proof, Plantation rum Barbados and a Barbancourt 8-year.

Thanks so much for the replies. Tonight I was out visiting my daughter at college and went to a very nice restaurant which I was pleased to see had more than just CM and Bacardi. I tried the Mount Gay Eclipse and rather liked it. Was delicious before and during the pasta.

Thanks so much for the replies.  Tonight I was out visiting my daughter at college and went to a very nice restaurant which I was pleased to see had more than just CM and Bacardi.  I tried the Mount Gay Eclipse and rather liked it.  Was delicious before and during the pasta.

Welcome to the world of rum! Mount Gay, after I visited Barbados in 2004, was the rum that led me to look at the finer rums beyond Barcardi Silver and Malibu although I did a triple take at MG's name. Eclipse, Appleton Special Gold, or a Cruzan Estate 2yo is my faithful standby I always have on hand in addition to Mount Gay XO, Appleton 12yo, Gosling Black Seal, and Cruzan Coconut. Mount Gay XO I found to be very oaky almost as oaky as whiskey (of which I also have fondness). For softer oak, I would recommend Cruzan Single Barrel or Cruzan Estate Diamond. The former has a vanilla and slight sugar cookie taste to it. If you like dark rums, I would recommend Gosling's Black Seal, which has a mild sweet spice note to it. If you travel outside of the US, I would also recommend the older Havana Club rums (which are difficult and officially illegal to get in the US due to the Cuban Embargo), which I first tried in Madrid and like a lot.

Regarding how to drink your rum, the others have made very good recommendations. Good rums and whiskeys are meant to be drunk neat unless they are a little harsh. For the little harsher one, I chill them in the refrigerator or freezer so that they are not diluted by water or melting ice. I try not to add water or ice to them. For the general rums, I would recommend chilling them, watering them, or mixing them.

Another lesson that I learned from my also enjoying wine: drink what you like as the arbiter of taste is yourself, but it is good to learn more to better serve your guests who may or may not like the same rums as you do.

I've not had MG Eclipse with pasta, but since you enjoyed it, I will give it a go sometime. What pasta were you enjoying?

Elixir,

you say that the Cruzan Single Barrel is much smoother on the oak front than the Mount Gay XO. I agree with you there (I think that they use American Oak) but do you find it too soft? I think that I possibly did but I do enjoy it.

Welcome to the world of rum!  Mount Gay, after I visited Barbados in 2004, was the rum that led me to look at the finer rums beyond Barcardi Silver and Malibu although I did a triple take at MG's name.  Eclipse, Appleton Special Gold, or a Cruzan Estate 2yo is my faithful standby I always have on hand in addition to Mount Gay XO, Appleton 12yo, Gosling Black Seal, and Cruzan Coconut.  Mount Gay XO I found to be very oaky almost as oaky as whiskey (of which I also have fondness).  For softer oak, I would recommend Cruzan Single Barrel or Cruzan Estate Diamond.  The former has a vanilla and slight sugar cookie taste to it.  If you like dark rums, I would recommend Gosling's Black Seal, which has a mild sweet spice note to it.  If you travel outside of the US, I would also recommend the older Havana Club rums (which are difficult and officially illegal to get in the US due to the Cuban Embargo), which I first tried in Madrid and like a lot.

It's ironic you mention that about the taste of MG XO, because when I tried it the first thing that came to mind was how 'whiskey-like' the taste was. I've seen the Gosling Black Seal around in a number of local stores so I'll be able to pick that up. I very much liked the Estate Diamond I tried the other night as well. I found the taste less 'sharp' (if that's the term) than the XO. I have relatives in Canada so perhaps those Cuban rums will be available up there.

Regarding how to drink your rum, the others have made very good recommendations.  Good rums and whiskeys are meant to be drunk neat unless they are a little harsh.  For the little harsher one, I chill them in the refrigerator or freezer so that they are not diluted by water or melting ice.  I try not to add water or ice to them.  For the general rums, I would recommend chilling them, watering them,  or mixing them.

I haven't heard of chilling them. I do tend to enjoy drinks cold, but read somewhere that the cold doesn't release the full flavour. I'll be sure to first try them neat before adding water or ice.

Another lesson that I learned from my also enjoying wine:  drink what you like as the arbiter of taste is yourself, but it is good to learn more to better serve your guests who may or may not like the same rums as you do.

I've not had MG Eclipse with pasta, but since you enjoyed it, I will give it a go sometime.  What pasta were you enjoying?

It was a delicious fetuccini with diced chicken, gorgonzola, roasted red peppers, in a white wine and garlic sauce. They served my rum in a snifter which was the first time I'd tried it like that. I thought it made the aroma more concentrated. I quite liked it.

I've followed this thread with interest as I have a nascent but growing interest in rum inspired by a recent run-in with a rum called Pyrat XO. None of the other rums mentioned in this thread seem to be available in my country of residence and I'm curious to know how Pyrat XO compares to the likes of Mount Gay Extra Old and Cruzan Estate Diamond. Has anyone else come across the Pyrat XO?

I've followed this thread with interest as I have a nascent but growing interest in rum inspired by a recent run-in with a rum called Pyrat XO.  None of the other rums mentioned in this thread seem to be available in my country of residence and I'm curious to know how Pyrat XO compares to the likes of Mount Gay Extra Old and Cruzan Estate Diamond.  Has anyone else come across the Pyrat XO?

I actually found Pyrat XO in a local store. It was side-by-side with Barbancourt 15 for around the same price (low $30s). I went with the Barbancourt. Next time I'll grab the Pyrat.

Do try Santa Teresa 1796 if you can get it. My current favorite.

I've visited five or six different stores around my area but haven't been able to find it.

I did find Zaya, but haven't picked it up yet. They had it on the top shelf, costing about $45.

Spent some 40 years fishing with Eclipse/Coke/Lime and still remember the "tight lines" when I smell the scent.

These days a glass out of the freezer and some chilled Ron Zacapa Centenario on a hot Florida day does the trick.

Seems like I see quite a bit of Ron Matusalem Gran Reserva on boats these days.

Do try Santa Teresa 1796 if you can get it. My current favorite.

I've visited five or six different stores around my area but haven't been able to find it.

I did find Zaya, but haven't picked it up yet. They had it on the top shelf, costing about $45.

One of the first top shelf rums I tried was Barrow's Grand Reserve Cigar Blend Rum from Trinidad since I enjoy the occasional cigar. It was about $45-50, but the rum didn't impress me with or without an accompanying cigar. In addition to Cruzan Single Barrel Rum, the 2 other best non-General rums I've tried so far are Pampero Anniversario Ron Añejo and Demarara El Dorado Special Reserve 15yo. The latter reminds me of Pusser's, only finer, much smoother, and well-married taste. Pampero was a little lighter on the body and drier with a definite oak but still a very good rum.

Thanks Kristian, there was a wealth of information in the links you indicated including boo-hoo :shock:  how cheap Pyrat XO is in the US compared to Asia where it retails in the region of US$165...  :sad:

Seems like there's an opportunity to arbitrage.....

There are several different Pyrat rums being sold and some are quite expensive in the US as well. You need to make sure you're looking at the same rums. Pyrat Pistol, XO or Cask 23.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

Thanks Kristian, there was a wealth of information in the links you indicated including boo-hoo :shock:  how cheap Pyrat XO is in the US compared to Asia where it retails in the region of US$165...  :sad:

There are several different Pyrat rums being sold and some are quite expensive in the US as well. You need to make sure you're looking at the same rums. Pyrat Pistol, XO or Cask 23.

I am not sure if this orange-like Pyrat XO is still being made to the same recipe or not. There seemed to be a lot of dumping it on the market, as I was led to believe that the blend was to be changed. I have some quite cheaply if anyone interested (but the only drawback is that you would need to order a pallet and be able to clear it through Customs).

Yup, just checked the bottle, Pyrat XO Planter's Reserve 750 ml retails for approx US$ 165 in Asia...if you can find it. Steep.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow :blink:

I just Bought a Case last week of six for $175 including tax in Michigan.

Wonder why it's getting dumped on the market right now ?

The last case I bought was $50 more,

Very Good RUM :)

Ordering the Pistol and more XO soon. :biggrin:

-------------------------------------Freedom is Not Free-----------------------------------------

----------------------- Blues Bruthas & Sistahs Stealth Society (BBSSS) -----------------------

Love my S2K, Just Point & GO, But watch out for Da BEARS and keep her rubber side down!

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it still make a noise ?????

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Founder and Member #001-03-06-06