• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pumpkin/Squash Flavored Cocktails

Pumpkin Lover

I surround myself with like-minded people, and some of my friends and I are going to try a pumpkin/squash-inspired dinner in the next couple weeks. I'd like to try some pumpkin cocktails and I'm brainstormin' like a little freak here, not just about liquors to use, but about the veg juice itself:

1) (I should ask this in the cooking forums but whatevs)--pumpkin juice or pumpkin water. I don't have a juicer. What do I do to get this liquid? Should I cook down pumpkin and try to make a very thin puree and strain it? One friend suggested cooking cubes of pumpkin in water and using the stock, but I don't know how flavorful that will be. Are there any fruit juice sources that you guys recommend in case I don't have a viable homemade juice option?

2) Is pumpkin even the best squash/gourd/whatever to use for these drinks? I usually cook with butternut squash. What are the sweetest squashes out there--maybe kabocha? I have easy access to that, living in a Latino nabe.

3) Thinking about liquors to use.

The only pumpkin-flavored cocktail I've ever had was at Kitchen 25 (23?) here in NYC. It was a pumpkin margarita as I recall, rimmed with cinnamon. NOW. I feel like there's a lot more that can go on here, but I need your advice. I'm thinking about using a spiced rum, or flavored vodkas (maybe mango? Berry?)

Spiced rum--what else could I add to the pumpkin juice and rum? A little simple syrup, maybe? Rim of cinnamon sugar?

Should I think about not using a spiced rum and instead go with a milder tasting rum? Ed? :smile:

Vodka--here, I was thinking about what flavors go with squash in cooking. Herbs like sage, maybe mint. Maple syrup. Maybe I could infuse some maple syrup with mint? Maybe throw in an egg white for frothiness a la Audrey Sanders?

Kahlua--would Kahlua and pumpkin even work?

Tequila--I don't know tequilas at all, so any advice would be awesome about which ones would go with pumpkin.

Spices--besides cinnamon, what kinds of spices or flavorings would work well in liquid form? Would it be cool to make a few infused syrups and try them out?

My ideas are very scattered about what will and will not work. But I think this might be a lot of fun. Help?

Edited by Pumpkin Lover (log)

I think you'll have to cook your squash or it will taste more like cucumber than pumpkin.

Convert some of those starches into sugars.

(Also, raw squash juice irritates the skin of some people. I'm one of them, so I don't think I'd want to drink it.)

Kabochas are pretty dry squashes when they are cooked, I don't know if they would be the best, if you're interested in getting them liquidified. Tasty, though. Always remind me a bit of chestnuts.

I know bourbon, cream, and pumpkin are a great combo from my thanksgiving pies, so something like a pumpkin Eggnog or pumpkin Tom and Jerry seems appealing. Kind of taking the easy way out, though.

edit - added raw squash juice comment.

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

One of my more frequent watering holes here in Philly had featured a house-infused Pumpkin Pie flavored vodka for Halloween. I suspect they used fresh pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice and then strained after infusing. In early November it was still up on the blackboard and they were trying desperately to get rid of it. I ordered it with Ginger Ale and they thought I was a freakin' genius! :wacko:

It was good in ginger ale. I can't really imagine any other application for it. They said everyone else had ordered it as a shot. Mercifully, it was gone by the next time I'd stopped in.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol