• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Caterers

Dining Diva

Hi guys, I thought this would be the best place to ask if anyone knows of a caterer that is good and reasonably priced (or is that too much to ask? :wink: )

Event is a luncheon for about 50 -ish people and the location would be in a downtown office. Not sure what I should be looking for so if anyone has any suggestions or recommendations they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi guys, I thought this would be the best place to ask if anyone knows of a caterer that is good and reasonably priced (or is that too much to ask?  :wink: )

Event is a luncheon for about 50 -ish  people and the location would be in a downtown office.  Not sure what I should be looking for so if anyone has any suggestions or recommendations they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Do you need catering staff to be passing hors d'oeuvres during the luncheon, or is it a buffet affair? Do you need a bartending service as well for (non)alcoholic drinks?

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

Hi guys, I thought this would be the best place to ask if anyone knows of a caterer that is good and reasonably priced (or is that too much to ask?  :wink: )

Event is a luncheon for about 50 -ish  people and the location would be in a downtown office.  Not sure what I should be looking for so if anyone has any suggestions or recommendations they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Check these folks out.

Culinary Capers

If you need extra servers, I can whip around a tray of canapes like nobody's business.

Another new but experienced caterer is Andrea the owner of Quince (former Lesley Stowe location). They do a fair amount of catering already from what I've heard.

Of course your desire for "reasonably priced" is pretty subjective so not sure if your idea of reasonable fits in with what is probably a pretty standard pricing scale in the city.

Absolutely Fabulous (whose owner, Lynn Dinwoodie (sp?) is an eGulleter) does my office Christmas party every year at one of the partner's houses (about the same number of people as you foresee, DD). Good stuff, including the best cheese puffs known to man :smile: not sure about pricing, but they will pass things around for you at the event if you like.

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

wow! thanks for the great suggestions! i'll check into these as quickly as possible as i'm sure i should book a caterer well before our event. i think it'll be a buffet event but servers are a great idea (depends on how much the boss is willing to shell out and exactly how 'high end' an event he wants to make this.) thanks again :biggrin:

-i

Do you need catering staff to be passing hors d'oeuvres during the luncheon, or is it a buffet affair? Do you need a bartending service as well for (non)alcoholic drinks?

The reason I asked about needing servers vs. a buffet feed-yourself event is that you might find certain restaurants whose food you enjoy will gladly prepare a selection of platters for pickup and the overall cost might be lower than a catering service if you provide your own napkins, plastic cutlery, etc. We've done this for our own in-office parties when we have limited - and I mean limited - budgets . . .

Let us know what you decide to do and how it turns out!!

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

that's great to know lauraf... i'm in the planning stages now and every little bit of advice from you guys is greatly needed! i need to get clarification of budget from my boss and at that point will know if we're going to use servers but i suspect that we're not... i think it's going to be a buffet-style affair and i think we're estimating about $10-$12 per head with about 50 people.... is that about right? should i be asking him for more $?

that's great to know lauraf... i'm in the planning stages now and every little bit of advice from you guys is greatly needed!  i need to get clarification of budget from my boss and at that point will know if we're going to use servers but i suspect that we're not... i think it's going to be a buffet-style affair and i think we're estimating about $10-$12 per head with about 50 people.... is that about right?  should i be asking him for more $?

We did a party with amazing sushi from Shijo for 100 people @$15/head. For less expensive fare, you're probably on track at $10-$12 for food from a restaurant, not sure about catering companies though . . .

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

Perfect Palette Catering (Christine Stoke, 604-983-8553) does Catering in lots of different formats. Unfortunately I couldn't find a website...

The belly rules the mind.

Just some contact info for a couple of recommendations above:

Quince http://www.quince.ca/index.html (as a side note, I've just completed a 9-day studio course with Chef / Sommelier, Andrea Jefferson, and it was fantastic.) Phone: 604-731-4645.

AbFab Foods http://www.abfabfoods.com/ (Lynn is a hoot, her food is great and her prices are extremely reasonable in comparison to some other caterers.) Phone: 604-733-5105. (Edit: I note that in the catering section of the website, lunches are not listed but I know for sure that she does this.... and, quite likely w/i (or very close to) your price range as well.)

Please do let us know who you decide to go with, and how it turns out. :biggrin:

Edited by appreciator (log)

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown