• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jackal10

Demo: Proving Bread

33 posts in this topic

Are there any methods to check the state of the dough while proving: is it under- over- or just proved - beyond the well known finger poke test?

I just made a coarse ground 100% wholemeal loaf, (including a wholemeal preferment) that I was pretty happy with. It used 50% of the total flour as preferment, that is the dough step has 200% preferment. Overall hydration was about 80%. Proof time was, of course much shorter - about half. Good wheaty flavour and crumb texture.

gallery_7620_135_5543.jpg

Edited by jackal10 (log)

Jackal: What a fabulous learning opportunity you have given everyone, with your comprehensive posts and photos that illustrate each point so well! Thank you so much. I baked 24 oz. "fat baguettes" this weekend, and found that the last ones I placed in the oven "sprung" so much higher than the first, those being about 1 hour later than the first batch (I baked three batches of two breads each -- that's all that fit on my teeny home baking stone). After consulting my glass jug with a bit of dough, I realized it was just over doubled. And I noted that the grignes were more developed, and the crusts were darker. Now I know why, thanks to you! Thanks again.:biggrin:

Lizz

---

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take"

-Wayne Gretzky

Greetings! This demo was awesome . . . but I have a question. The first set of pictures show the boules of bread, and the glass jug with the dough inside. Is this done right after mixing, or after a bulk rise, and with or without a "rest"? I'm wondering why, if it's after bulk rise and rest, it needs a full 4 hours to prove -- is it in a cooler condition? And is there a need for a "rest", if you're baking round breads? I'm doing so in mass quantity, and wonder if I can skip this step, going right from bulk rise to shaped loaves.

I wanted to send this as a PM, but Jackal10 seems to have a full mailbox! Can someone answer . . . Jackal10, are you out there? Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge!

Lizz

---

-Wayne Gretzky

This was an intensively mixed sourdough (natural yeast) with 30% ripe preferment.

I was experimenting with "no time" (Chorleywood style)doughs at the time, so no bulk fermentation and no rest.

You get a slightly more open result with a short bulk fermentation, but for my starter 4 hours from mixer to oven is about right

Great! I'll have to google "Chorleywood bread" to find out more. Fascinating! Now I'm guessing the 30% refers to your starter as a portion of the flour weight? What was the hydration percentage? Thanks, Jackal10!

Lizz

---

-Wayne Gretzky

From my notes

Sponge

200g flour

200g water

10g mother starter

Ferment overnight warm (12h to 24h)(90F)

Dough

All the sponge (33% by weight compared to flour in this step)

1Kg flour

600g water

20g salt

1g Vitamin C

Total flour: 1200g

Total water: 800g

Mix intensively (food processor) for 2 mins.

(I would now let it rest 15 mins)

Edited by jackal10 (log)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By borgr
      I want to leave my sourdough (itself, not baked loaves of sourdough bread) for a while (going abroad) but I do not want it to die, can I leave it in the freezer? do you have other ideas?
    • By hazardnc
      Having no local Arabic bakery, I have long hoped to learn to make good khoubz at home. Every time I try, however, my bread is too stiff and tough. I have been successfully making other breads using The Bread Baker's Apprentice, and now wonder if my bread woule benefit from an overnight ferment in the refrigerator.
      FoodMan (and anyone) can you help me?
    • By FrogPrincesse
      San Diego has a small number of artisanal bread bakeries. Bread & Cie has been my favorite for years, and their breads are now available in many supermarkets, which is very convenient. But it's nice to have some variety. So I was excited to spot a new bakery this weekend in Linda Vista. It's called Pacific Time and it is also a sandwich place with a small market with things like small-batch preserves, local beers, a cheese counter, charcuterie platters, and wine. It's located within a recently renovated strip mall that also hosts Brew Mart & Ballast Point.

The bread I bought was a French-type rustic boule, dark, a bit reminiscent of Poilane but less dense. The crust could have been a little more crispy (it felt like the bread had sat around a little bit and softened in the paper bag), but the flavor was wonderful.

Here is the bread:

• By Lisa Shock
      The team over at Modernist Cuisine announced today that their next project will be an in-depth exploration of bread. I personally am very excited about this, I had been hoping their next project would be in the baking and pastry realm. Additionally, Francisco Migoya will be head chef and Peter Reinhart will assignments editor for this project which is expected to be a multi-volume affair.
    • By Chris Hennes
      The folks behind Modernist Cuisine have announced a projected publication date of March 2017 for their new five-volume set on bread (previously discussed here). Start saving up now!