• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Arirang Catering Dumpling

Double 0

I noticed Jason's posting of the secret Deli in Englewood and it made me think of this place in Pal Park. Its all the way past the main strip of Broad on the east side of the block. Its a small store that you could easily pass by. When you go inside they have large steamers and women making Korean steamed buns. The buns look like their Chinese brothers but are totally different animal, not at all sweet like Chinese buns and much larger. Next to the steamer They have soups, that I haven't tried, and the station where they make the buns, the dumpling and the pancakes. The dumpling are my favorite, they come in three flavors and two sizes. There is Kimchee, shrimp and chive,and pork. They are perfect for "steamfrying" or adding to soups. The pancakes are vegetable, seafood, and kimchee. They have the usual selection of kimchee, most of it homemade, and the best part is that English is spoken and understood.

BTW Its only takeout.

ARIRANG CATERING DUMPLING

318 BROAD AVE

PALISADES PARK, NJ

TEL 201 585 1944

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

I second the high praise for this place. The dumplings are amazingly good, large, and have a very nice skin on them that is very tender and holds up in the fridge nicely for a day or two without getting dry. I usually don't do anything to them. I just eat them as is with maybe a little soy sauce or chili garlic sauce.

I love the steamed Kimchee buns.

Edited by cwhatley (log)

• 3 weeks later...
I noticed Jason's posting of the secret Deli in Englewood and it made me think of this place in Pal Park. Its all the way past the main strip of Broad on the east side of the block. Its a small store that you could easily pass by. When you go inside they have large steamers and women making Korean steamed buns. The buns look like their Chinese brothers but are totally different animal, not at all sweet like Chinese buns and much larger. Next to the steamer They have soups, that I haven't tried, and the station where they make the buns, the dumpling and the pancakes. The dumpling are my favorite, they come in three flavors and two sizes. There is Kimchee, shrimp and chive,and pork. They are perfect for "steamfrying" or adding to soups. The pancakes are vegetable, seafood, and kimchee. They have the usual selection of kimchee, most of it homemade, and the best part is that English is spoken and understood.

BTW Its only takeout.

ARIRANG CATERING DUMPLING

318 BROAD AVE

PALISADES PARK, NJ

TEL 201 585 1944

We went to this place today but it wasn't called arirang it had another name. 318 Broad Palisades Park etc...

Great stuff as you mentioned, as we came in they were making trays of golden goodness that I had no idea what it was but they offered me a try!

It tasted like fruit (I think it's banana's and apples?) & honey with almost a tea or ginger aftertaste of some sort delicious, not in a bad way or anything. :wub: Anyhow I got a small container of this freshly made stuff, hubby bought a big jar of kimchee (he can never find kimchee spicy enough, he adds red-pepper flakes and/or garlic etc too!) and we got 2 kimchee dumplings and 4 of the beef. (The beef, which had cellophane noodles and cabbage in them as well!) Anyhow, they are not sweet so I add a dollop of hoisin to make it more to my liking, you can add soy too! Also I got these things that resemble potato pancakes but they said there is brown sugar? or sugar? inside, we'll try all our goodies tomorrow breaking down a bit for his non-sugary, low carb plan. heh

If anyone knows that the fruit thingy is called or the "pancakes" please kindly let me know! Thanks. This place is a MUST to go to but they don't speak english there but a nice guy walking by told them what we wanted (though pointing works...really!) I know my numbers in Korean and a few words or so, and hubby can read it a bit.... hahn, dool, sed... etc. :wacko: but that didn't work too well here, it works better in places like Han ah reum.

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

I'm doing a run to Mandoo this weekend to restock (my girlfriend loves the shrimp dumplings) and these guys look like they're worth it. What time were you there when they had 'em fresh, Anonymouze? How was the kimchi as well? I suffer from the same affliction as your husband... even the fresh stuff at Han Ah Reum doesn't spice me out anymore. :-/

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

I'm doing a run to Mandoo this weekend to restock (my girlfriend loves the shrimp dumplings) and these guys look like they're worth it.  What time were you there when they had 'em fresh, Anonymouze?  How was the kimchi as well?  I suffer from the same affliction as your husband... even the fresh stuff at Han Ah Reum doesn't spice me out anymore.  :-/

The place on broad was a bit pricy for the kimchee but everything was hot and fresh and good! I love shrimp dumplings, actually at King Fong they have them in the frozen case pretty cheap so we warm em in broth and I put them in campbells shrimp bisque (tastes real good!) so it's wonton-bisque soup sorta.

He's a pure cabbage kimchee guy the scallion one didn't work for him... that being said I'll have to find a better place for him if he doesn't like the one from broad street. He'll be eating it tonight or tomorrow so I'll let you know if he likes it better! Enjoy! :laugh:

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

• 3 weeks later...

Pelicana is ALSO the name of the place where Arirang is (they also do FREE Delivery) at 318 Broad Avenue Palisades Park, New Jersey - (201) 585 1944 or 1945 may be their phone number as on window - there was no area code, but it's worth a try! A friend of ours Jennifer said there is ANOTHER like this on the block but we have yet to discover it - if anyone does please let us know the address! Also across the street is a good bakery called Palisades Park Bakery, it smelled like heaven today. :wub:

I am proud of myself I walked in but did not buy anything and trust me it was REAL hard to do that, however when we went to Hahn Ah Reum down the street I did have a late lunch or you could call it an early supper. It's ALL good!

I can even read the letters for you in Korean if you need any assistance. :biggrin:

Edited by Anonymouze (log)

Pelicana is the name of the place where Arirang is/was (they also do FREE Delivery) at 318 Broad Avenue Palisades Park, New Jersey - (201) 585 1944 or 1945 may be their phone number as on window - there was no area code, but it's worth a try! 

Also across the street is a good bakery called Palisades Park Bakery, it smelled like heaven today.  :wub:

I am proud of myself I walked in but did not buy anything and trust me it was REAL hard to do that, however when we went to Hahn Ah Reum down the street I did have a late lunch or you could call it an early supper. It's ALL good!

Arirang is the famous name on the awning. It threw me off since my Korean is not all that good, but it's improving - the terminal 'iang' was not in the subscript as it should be in the one on the right:

gallery_43627_2654_3528.jpg

Here is how it appears on the awning:

gallery_43627_2654_1442628.jpg

Incidentally, I do not recommend their homemade Kim-Chi. It's far too salty and not enough of a pepper bite - even the commercial Tobagi brand is better than this one. For homemade Kim-Chi, I have to agree with Jason on the little out-of-the-way deli in Englewood next door to the DMV and the local Han Ah Reum market.

Edited by DrNuke (log)

The only reason I knew the name of the place is because I asked for a business card. I've been trying the stores up and down the street and this is tops for dumplings, buns and pancakes (esp the kimchee).

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.