• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Quince

dvs

Zeemanb included it in his elaborate, envy-evoking Heartlander's Report.

It's one of my favorite places to dine. Lindsay and staff will make you feel right at home.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

dinner was wonderful! the pastas were some of the best i've ever had. service was flawless and the room was very romantic.

i'll post the menu as soon as i get it faxed to me :smile:

dinner was wonderful! the pastas were some of the best i've ever had. service was flawless and the room was very romantic.

i'll post the menu as soon as i get it faxed to me  :smile:

Glad to hear they're still on their game. There's just something I love about that room and the people - that certain j'ne sais quois - that keeps me coming back. Looking forward to the full 4-1-1 when your schedule permits.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Last night we enjoyed an excellent meal and evening at Quince Restaurant. There were six of us so we were able to order an assortment of dishes. Since the menu changes almost every day, a listing of dishes is rather useless, but every one was based on fine ingredients handled with thought and care. Among standouts were a scallop and cauliflower starter, no surprises there but my husband who is a scallop maven was delighted with the quality; a pristine halibut carpaccio; stuffed squash blossoms that brought raves; a light and tender octopus salad. A sea bass was declared the best our guest from Beijing had ever tasted, and her gusto indicated that she wasn't just being polite. The rest of us ordered pastas, and they were every one excellent. My pappardelli with giblet ragu was a knockout. After a sparkling wine, we drank a very reasonable Saumur Champigny. A small wine service misunderstanding caused the removal of a bottle before it was entirely finished, and Mrs. Tusk insisted on providing us a lovely sparkling muscat with dessert. By dessert I lost track of what people had ordered, but they were wowed by their sorbets, gelati combinations, crespelle with sorbet, etc..

Quince is often mentioned in the same sentence as Delfina and Incanto: its food has the same roots and its chefs have the same dedication to integrity. But there is a palpable difference in the ambiance and the orchestration of service. At the latter two restaurants I feel that I am well served and well fed, but I don't sense the specialness that Quince provides. Last night, as at all of our previous visits, we were cossetted, made to feel a sense of occasion, that Mrs. Tusk and her crew were co-conspiritors with us to create a special evening, and I use the French word généreux, which has much more nuance than its English counterpart, to describe the hospitality we felt.

eGullet member #80.

• 8 months later...

My school and I are taking a trip up to SF and the wine country. I've heard a lot about Quince and was wondering if it would be a good place to hit up when we're up there. I looked the menu and it fits some of the style that a couple of us are looking for to eat.

Can anyone comment on their current quality or if it's a still a good place to go to? We're also looking to go to AME, Cyrus when we're up in the sonoma/napa area, The Girl and the Fig.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Any thoughts, opinions or recent visits to Quince?

Yes. I went about 6 months ago. The service was excellent, but the food was middling-good and the markup on the wine is pretty high. Mostly: good, but more expensive than good.

If you go anyway, stay away from the tasting menu. I shouldn't have let myself get talked into that by my tablemates. Some of the items were downright inedible.

I'd suggest Clementine, Delfina, Foreign Cinema, or Farallon before you go to Quince.

Edited by TheFuzzy (log)

The Fuzzy Chef

www.fuzzychef.org

Think globally, eat globally

San Francisco

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...