• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Molecular Gastronomy

Woods

The above mentioned book is a wonderful addition to any cooks library..not only does it shed some light onto the much misguided ideas into what molecular gastronomy is truly about, but it forces the reader to question everything within cooking, and to experiement on their own to come to their own conclusions about many of the "rules of cooking"...a great book

Well... Herve This is the "father" of molecular gastronomy. Probably no other individual has been as involved in the subject as he has. I've read quite a few of the articles he wrote, and it's not particularly easy reading. It is, however, enlightning. I guess it would depend on how good the translation is. If my french was any better, I would've definetly bought the original. In any case, I'm ordering it through amazon. I'm trusting it won't be terribly dense.

Follow me @chefcgarcia

Fábula, my restaurant in Santiago, Chile

My Blog, en Español

The late Nicholas Kurti, a physicist at Oxford University is probably the better father figure. In 1992 he organized the International Workshop on Molecular and Physical Gastronomy, but I'd like to offer a quote that appears in the Introduction to the revised edition of Hal McGee's On Food and Cooking that dates from 1969.

I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus, we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés.
I don't believe any of This' work has been published in English before.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

There's a site with links to a lot of molecular gastronomy resources in many languages. You can find some stuff from This in engish here. Hiowever, you're right, most of what he's done has been translated to german, but for some reason, not english.

And you're right about Kurti. He was, as far as I know, the person who coined the term "molecular gastronomy". The role of Herve This was (is) making it popular.

Follow me @chefcgarcia

Fábula, my restaurant in Santiago, Chile

My Blog, en Español

Speaking of links, this has been one of the most promising on the subject of molecular gastronomy - http://www.inicon.net/ . Unfortunately, it seems to have promised more than it's delivered, but it's still a worthwhile site to check and a jump off place to linked sites.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I hear stephen hawking is working on his first cook book entitled anti molecular anti gastronomy for anti matterised homosapiens that exist in singularities through spaces no larger than the head of a needle.

Future Food - our new television show airing 3/30 @ 9pm cst:

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/tv/future-food/

Hope you enjoy the show! Homaro Cantu

Chef/Owner of Moto Restaurant

www.motorestaurant.com