• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crappiest Day EVERRR

Marmish

It occurs to me, on this cold Sunday morning, that homemade doughnuts, still warm, and a pot of really good coffee, would have to be another possibility for soothing a tromped-on soul.

As for the Valentine's Day stuff, it's a head game. It always, always depressed me when I was single. Now that I'm married, it's a rare year when we both remember to celebrate it. If it's on a weekday, we're screwed, because we work different shifts. If it's on a weekend, the restaurants are so crowded we don't want to go.

So this year, I've decided to be daring. I'm having a colonoscopy. :blink: And once back in the house, the love of my life will go off to work, and I'll spend some time with the lesser, but still very important loves of my life: the dog, the cats, and all the food I can find. :raz:

Diva!

Two things:

First, you are still young and should remember that when you date someone you either break up or you marry them. Think of all the reasons why you are grateful for the former.

Second--I've made chicken and dumplings and they have been met with cheers when I do it this way:

Take your whole chicken (~4 or so lbs) and cover it with water. Put any flavorings you like in there and poach/simmer it for about 40 minutes. Take the chicken out, dry it off a bit, and roast it in a medium hot oven to finish cooking--really, to brown and crisp up. Make your dumpling mix and 20 minutes before you want to eat you spoon the mix into the bubbling broth and simmer 10 minutes uncovered, then 10 minutes covered.

You get a juicy, tasty chicken (and prettily browned, too) and Yum O! (sorry) tender dumplings. The children request it, and they are good critics.

PS: The hard times I've had makes me aware and grateful of the good ones--shoot, even neutral ones look pretty enticing, too! Take care.

A

"I'm not looking at the panties, I'm looking at the vegetables!" --RJZ

Diva, repeat after me: "I am my own Valentine, I am my own Valentine" and then buy yourself something pretty to remind you how much better off you are with someone who couldn't appreciate your fabulousness. And make sure to include a great bottle of wine and some chocolate and maybe you'll get lucky with yourself :biggrin:

Diva!

Two things:

First, you are still young and should remember that when you date someone you either break up or you marry them.  Think of all the reasons why you are grateful for the former.

Second--I've made chicken and dumplings and they have been met with cheers when I do it this way:

Take your whole chicken (~4 or so lbs) and cover it with water.  Put any flavorings you like in there and poach/simmer it for about 40 minutes.  Take the chicken out, dry it off a bit, and roast it in a medium hot oven to finish cooking--really, to brown and crisp up.  Make your dumpling mix and 20 minutes before you want to eat you spoon the mix into the bubbling broth and simmer 10 minutes uncovered, then 10 minutes covered. 

You get a juicy, tasty chicken (and prettily browned, too) and Yum O! (sorry) tender dumplings.  The children request it, and they are good critics.

PS:  The hard times I've had makes me aware and grateful of the good ones--shoot, even neutral ones look pretty enticing, too!  Take care.

A

Thanks so much Angela for both the advice and the recipe. That sounds excellent and would probably duplicate those wonderful chicken and dumplings I had many years ago.

And you are so right: a grateful attitude will always pull you through. :smile:

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

Diva, repeat after me: "I am my own Valentine, I am my own Valentine" and then buy yourself something pretty to remind you how much better off you are with someone who couldn't appreciate your fabulousness.  And make sure to include a great bottle of wine and some chocolate and maybe you'll get lucky with yourself  :biggrin:

I AM MY OWN VALENTINE, :wub:

Whaddaya know Genny I think this is actually working. Thanks. Come to think of it, I am pretty damned fabulous. :rolleyes:

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

Fat Guy, that was hilarious!

Jason, I've used a similar method. Am also running out of 'candidates'.:raz:

Bad day first choice -

anything deep fried. Onion rings usually win because they are easy to get.

accompanied by vast volumes of Kahlua and milk.

A brainless book to read is a nice accompaniment.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.