• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crappiest Day EVERRR

Marmish

So sorry the bad days abound.

My annual review is tomorrow and I'm always incredibly anxious and angry before hand (my boss and I don't always get along and my reviews are always contentious - because she's a stupid beyotch) writing my pre-review for her to rip and tell me I'm nothing special. So yesterday I cooked up some sugar and dropped some pecans into it and then added chocolate chips... salty, sweet and did the job.

What do I really want??? Doritos (original) and Cold Stone ice-cream. I was good last night. I didn't get the Cold Stone, I just drank 1/2 bottle of wine :biggrin:

We'll have to see what kind of mood I'm in after the meeting tomorrow. I'll be back here to vent if need be. :hmmm:

So sorry the bad days abound. 

My annual review is tomorrow and I'm always incredibly anxious and angry before hand (my boss and I don't always get along and my reviews are always contentious - because she's a stupid beyotch) writing my pre-review for her to rip and tell me I'm nothing special. So yesterday I cooked up some sugar and dropped some pecans into it and then added chocolate chips... salty, sweet and did the job.

What do I really want??? Doritos (original) and Cold Stone ice-cream.  I was good last night.  I didn't get the Cold Stone, I just drank 1/2 bottle of wine :biggrin:

We'll have to see what kind of mood I'm in after the meeting tomorrow.  I'll be back here to vent if need be.  :hmmm:

Thanks Genny! BTW, are you sure that we don't work for the same beyotch? Your meeting sounds vaguely familiar. :blink:

Oops, forgot to add that a glass of something "soothing" like Cruzan Dark 2 year old rum neat (will definitely check out the older stuff when I get more money), or a nice frosty beer of whatever brand appeals to me at the moment. :rolleyes:

BTW, wine always seems to be a celebratory/feeling pretty good beverage and, at least for me, not suitable to "The World is Sho'nuff Kicking My Ass" Blues. :wink:

Edited because of anal-retentive correction of grammar.

Edited by divalasvegas (log)

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

Aaaaaargh! Just received my reminder email from Open Table to make sure that I make my reservations FOR VALENTINE'S DAY!!!:angry:

Uh bartender, make that a DOUBLE Cruzan Dark................... :hmmm:

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

Aaaaaargh!  Just received my reminder email from Open Table to make sure that I make my reservations FOR VALENTINE'S DAY!!!:angry:

OH NO! A**holes.

Today was much better. I didn't go to work, for starters. The dog's trip to the vet and related sample catching was easy, quick, and painless (for me anyways - he hates the vet). Then I met with someone who does the job I want to do. She was very nice and gave me some good advice. Then I ate a Costco cheese slice and soda for lunch. Dress shopping didn't go too well. I'm sure it's not related to all the sugar, carbs and alcohol I've eaten due to stress. No, not related at all.

But the best thing was the visit to the dr. I got not one, but two bear hugs from a grizzly old orthopedic surgeon who is tickled pink I'm showing improvement. :biggrin:

So dinner tonight will be roasted chicken with some sort of veggie and cookies for dessert. I need to bake for work tomorrow. We're having fried chicken, mac & cheese and green beans from the soul food place. Yum. I love being in charge of ordering inservice lunches. So if tomorrow sucks again, I'm in good shape for lunch!

When I have especially crappy days, I like to make voodoo dolls out of hamburger meat, cocktail olives, bacon, and tater tots, and deep fry them. Then I eat them according to ancient Satanic ritual while standing over a pentagram, while watching Rachael Ray on Food Network -- although if Rachael is not avaliable, I'll settle for one of my archived Tivo episodes of Sandra Lee. Then I'll make a nice big Haagen Daz strawberry and Percocet milkshake, and finish it off with a nice tall snifter of small batch bourbon or aged rum.

The problem is, I've now run out of friends and family and eGullet staff to kill in effigy and my cholestorol count is now at like 600,  I am currently enrolled in a twelve step program and am under constant psychiatric observation.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Jason do you know how many times I have had liquid shoot all over my screen and keyboard* from my nose and mouth due to your posts.

Steve that needs to be your new sig. Salad :rolleyes:

Me steak, potatoes, and Bourbon neat. Maybe some marrow on top.

Edit:* what the hell is a "keepboard" :wacko:

Edited by M.X.Hassett (log)

One day, years ago, I called my husband repeatedly from work starting at 10AM because my day was just sucking that much. When I got home, I pulled into the garage and there was a sign on the door leading into the house that said BEER --->, I walked in and on the stairs (multi-level house) there was another sign that said BEER --->. So, no dummy me, I followed the signs. Through the dining room where there was another sign on the floor that said BEER---> I get to the kitchen and on the refrigerator there was a sign that said TEQUILIA --->. I opened the fridge and he had a shot waiting on ice for me next to a six pack of beer. :wub: What a guy. I have absolutley no recollection of what the meal that night was though :blink:

FWIW, the moderately crappy day I had Tuesday turned out not to be so crappy after all...

The managing editor at the resume service reinstated me into the work queue after I explained why I "appeared not to care when I finished a request" to an administrative staffer who called me, and the editor at the Inquirer told me that I should just remember to give a heads-up if I was going to have a problem turning something in (I lost it a bit after she called wondering where my essay was; blowing a deadline in this business is just below outright fabrication on the list of mortal sins).

So I'm munching on Cheese Nips as I work on more resumes and take a break by putzing around here. The new job starts Monday. Things aren't so crappy after all.

We now return you to the continuing crisis already in progress.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I love to go to the Tap Room at Rutt's Hut, have more than a few beers, then order a couple of well done deep fried hot dogs topped with their unique relish. On the way home I stop for an ice cream cone, then straight to bed for a nap. I wake up feeling better (and worse).

John the hot dog guy

Fat and Starch. Preferably together. Double cheese pizza with a side of breadsticks. A loaf of sourdough slathered with butter, or better yet, chicken fat. A hot tub of bubbly noodles with heavy cream and parmesan cheese waiting.

And diva - I just made chicken & dumplings! Somehow I've never figured out how to adjust to serve 1 (ok, 2 counting the dog), so I (we) will be eating it for the next few days :smile:

No one can be exactly like me. Even I have trouble doing it. - T. Bankhead

I had a royal nightmare of a day at work yesterday too. Don't you love it when you really #@*& something up good and, try as you may, can't even begin to blame anyone else for it? Nope, all my fault. Anyway... I went home, informed my husband that I would not be cooking and ordered Chinese. Shrimp eggroll, wonton soup, and steamed dumplings. I stuffed my face, apologized to my husband and daughter for being such an evil snag, and went to bed.

Today is a new day and I have leftovers for breakfast. Sweet.

Fat and Starch.  Preferably together.  Double cheese pizza with a side of breadsticks.  A loaf of sourdough slathered with butter, or better yet, chicken fat.  A hot tub of bubbly noodles with heavy cream and parmesan cheese waiting.

And diva - I just made chicken & dumplings!  Somehow I've never figured out how to adjust to serve 1 (ok, 2 counting the dog), so I (we) will be eating it for the next few days  :smile:

Thanks bjones9942. Please eat an extra helping or two or three for me! :smile: Like I said, my rendition is just so-so and really wouldn't go very far in providing much comfort. :hmmm:

Diva -

Will do! And other than simmering two rather fatty chickens for 9 hours to make my stock (and not de-fatting afterwards), my chicken & dumplings are purpously bland. Since I expect to dine on it for a while, I generally add spices, flavourings, vegetable tidbits, etc. to each bowl - thus providing a parade of variation. Today's selection was chipotle tabasco sauce.

No one can be exactly like me. Even I have trouble doing it. - T. Bankhead

Dealing with a spouse's addiction and hospitalization, and pending divorce, while raising 2 daughters, what seems to give me comfort is Roasted chicken and buttered egg noodles. We all love it and I get sandwiches and soup out of it. Sushi also seems to give me moments of respite,(or is it the sake?)

Aaaaaargh!  Just received my reminder email from Open Table to make sure that I make my reservations FOR VALENTINE'S DAY!!!:angry:

yeah, you don't really notice all the valentine's dinner bullshit until you are without a valentine, eh?

stupid open table.

Cruzan dark is on my list of things to buy - seems like a good thing to have around the house.

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

Yeah. What's the deal with that? Assholes.

Want to come to my place for LOTS of wine and chocolate, Diva? :wink:

ETA: You're invited, too, Danielle. It's a PARTY.

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Yeah. What's the deal with that? Assholes.

Want to come to my place for LOTS of wine and chocolate, Diva? :wink:

ETA: You're invited, too, Danielle. It's a PARTY.

Oh, I'd love that!! I'm in NY in April - maybe we need to have an Easter party, LOL.

OK, back on topic.

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

OK, back on topic.

Indeed!

Hmmm...when I've had a truly horrible day, I'm most likely to order in Vietnamese food and crack open a bottle of wine.

Sometimes, though, I bake - chocolate chip cookies, most of the time, since I can do it with my eyes closed and won't mess up if I'm imbibing at the same time. :laugh:

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Thanks for the support/cheering up everybody.

Danielle, you are so right: I never paid attention to that Valentine stuff before, but now it seems that I can't not notice it no matter how hard I try. Oh well I just keep telling myself that it's just another commercially driven/created holiday to benefit the greeting card, candy and florist industries. Oh yeah, that makes it all better now. :rolleyes:

Wine and chocolate sounds like a good offer to me Megan. And New York really isn't that far away now, is it?

As for your variations on chicken and dumplings bjones9942 it never occurred to me to take your approach and create variations; great idea. As usual, I always learn something new here. :smile:

Chris, are you just letting the sammich do the talking? Or was it such a crappy day that words failed you? :biggrin:

Edited to add: yummy-looking steak sandwich, by the way. Very eloquent. :smile:

Edited by mizducky (log)

I'm having a terrible time, and that sandwich IS talking, to me, at least. And, to top things off, kiddle, who is 16, for goodness sake, just put the pasta into a 3 quart pot, AND left it sticking out of the top! urrrggghhh. I need a break, and it isn't happening. I've sent to her to her room, to read her Gourmet collection, and report back on the requirements of basic cooking of pasta, which Mommy goes to such trouble to make! :hmmm:

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Sorry -- I had a sentence in the post but accidentally deleted it when I pasted in that photo from my foodblog. Them's NY system weiners, my food of choice on really, really crappy days. Today wasn't one of them, I'm glad to say! :biggrin:

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Sorry -- I had a sentence in the post but accidentally deleted it when I pasted in that photo from my foodblog. Them's NY system weiners, my food of choice on really, really crappy days. Today wasn't one of them,  I'm glad to say! :biggrin:

Oh that's right, you explained about those in your blog. I could see how those would be really soothing on a crappy day.

Someone up a ways mentioned sushi. Even though my traditional crappy-day foods tend to be much heavier, there's a certain kind of crappy day for which I find sushi the perfect antidote--one in which confusion and jangled nerves is the major component. Then it's really nice to eat something so aethetically harmonious--if the world can't be in harmony, at least my dinner can be so. Not to mention that it's damn tasty. And sensual.

If you're having a crappy day you eat cheese grits. It's as simple as that. Make a big pot of them, stir in the cheese, and eat by the stove with a big wooden spoon. Best anti-depressent every, in my opinion. Hope things are going better now.

Melissa