• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crappiest Day EVERRR

Marmish

Gin & tonic, easy on the tonic. Very easy. Like maybe just a splash, but it doesn't really need to be there at all, really.

Macademia nuts are good. They're luxurious, self-indulgent, and delicious, and you can contemplate that marvelous crunch, which is a great way of getting your mind off the other stuff. :rolleyes: And dark-chocolate-covered macademica nuts, well, what more need be said?

I do hope the worst is past, and never returns!

a great big cocktail, involving gin and whatever.

then another one.

then some goddamned Ben & Jerry's.

Or maybe a bacon cheeseburger

or fried dumplings, 5 for $1, so at least I can compliment myself on being frugal.

then another cocktail or two or five.

yeah, I drink when I'm pissy. So?

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

I long for the days to drink (alot) when I'm pissy. Dang, I do miss it. But when I turned 40 my body said "forget about it." and that was that. I can't complain, I was on the road for 4 straight years and had plenty of hooch in a variety of intereting places in this country. heh heh

I find that during bad days, it helps to go to a nice restaurant, one with good silver, real napkins and great service. It just feels good to be taken care of, even if only for an hour during lunch. Especially on frustrating work days, it helps to take that break, step back, breathe a little, eat something that is high quality and well prepared, and gather yourself for the rest of the day.

On really, really bad days, I buy the following:

one pint of Ben and Jerry's Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ice cream

one individually sized bag of Cool Ranch Doritos

one small can of Caffeine Free Diet Coke

one trashy magazine (think alien babies on the cover)

Then I read the magazine while crunching on the Doritos and grabbing sips of Coke. The pint of ice cream sits out at room temperature all the while, thus getting just soft enough by the time I get to eating it. By the end of this whole ritual, things usually feel much better. Of course, my pants fit much more tightly as a result as well, but there's always a price to pay :rolleyes:

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Life threatening family illness that I have no control over...that calls for insanely hot thai food. And hugs and kisses from my small nephew and his new puppy. Just really crappy day stuff...Stoli and cran/raz. World is kickin' me and I don't deserve it, definately calls from rum straight up. Rum makes me happy. Thai food gets me through. :cool:

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

Todd the Younger would turn to The Holy Triumverate: scotch, a full pack of Marly Reds, and range balls hit into the setting sun. Now that I'm 28 and have primary hypertension, I have to deal with things like an adult. Being an adult is terrible.

So I cook more and use a hint of booze in whatever I'm making just for some of the same flavors. Amazing what a healthy glug of Jim Beam will do in soup, jambalya, gumbo, whatever. Make it, stick it in the fridge to come together a little bit more, and go hit balls or work out or do something, anything physical. Come back and eat and smile. Just a test smile. See if it still works.

And then, late at night when nobody's looking...indulge myself in a solitary Marly Red. :wub:

Todd McGillivray

"I still throw a few back, talk a little smack, when I'm feelin' bulletproof..."

Crappy day #2. One meeting better than expected, one way worse than expected. And I managed to piss off the best boss ever. Called the Mister and said we could have leftovers or go out to dinner. Genius picked leftovers. So I left him to his precious leftovers and fried up some tater tots - no baked in the oven crap - smothered them in chili, cheese and sour cream. Rum and coke on the side, followed by Eli's chocolate cheesecake from the freezer (a Christmas gift) and coffee.

I like to have small salad of organic baby lettuces and mixed sprouts with a light vinaigrette, plus some multigrain bread and a glass of carrot juice with ginger and wheatgrass.

Bullshit! :laugh:

Oh thank god cause I read that and I was pretty sure I was going insane!

Crappy day #2.  One meeting better than expected, one way worse than expected.  And I managed to piss off the best boss ever.  Called the Mister and said we could have leftovers or go out to dinner.  Genius picked leftovers.  So I left him to his precious leftovers and fried up some tater tots - no baked in the oven crap - smothered them in chili, cheese and sour cream.  Rum and coke on the side, followed by Eli's chocolate cheesecake from the freezer (a Christmas gift) and coffee.

Oh dear. I'm so sorry things are still sucking ...

My favorite comfort foods, like several posters preceding me, all seem to involve grease, sugar, and booze in various configurations. Grease: at the very least a humongous overloaded cheeseburger, or some nice tacky Chinese takeout, or a delivery pizza with way too many toppings; ideally it would be a big honkin' slab of prime rib, though when I'm feeling really crappy I'd rather just hunker down in my cave than be required to face fellow humans in a restaurant, or even to cook, for that matter. Sugar: either a pint of Cherry Garcia or a package of Brach's Bridge Mix (I dunno why, but I find the latter really soothing). Booze: good bourbon, straight up, no screwing around. Sometimes Southern Comfort if I'm really feeling the urge for oblivion. And of course, Zappa is an especially appropriate soundtrack: nothing can cheer me up in such moments quite like a few rousing verses of "Broken Hearts Are For A**holes".

(Heh. There's something eeeeeeevil about me writing about these foods when I'm on day 8 of a diet ... fortunately the diet is not sucking ... at least so far ... and also, fortunately, there's no calories in just *writing* about food ... :biggrin: )

QUOTE(Fat Guy @ Jan 31 2006, 02:43 AM)

I like to have small salad of organic baby lettuces and mixed sprouts with a light vinaigrette, plus some multigrain bread and a glass of carrot juice with ginger and wheatgrass.

:cool: This sounds like an autopsy taken from a person who just jumped off a tall building.

After reading the many ideas I say give bergerka a call and hang out with her-doesn't torrid barbecuing have a nice ring to it?

A fluffernutter sandwich (the peanut butter MUST be Jif, not crunchy) with Frito's and ice cold milk on the side, then some red red wine, a fluffy comforter, and 24 on DVD.

What is a fluffernutter sandwich??

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria

A fluffernutter sandwich (the peanut butter MUST be Jif, not crunchy) with Frito's and ice cold milk on the side, then some red red wine, a fluffy comforter, and 24 on DVD.

What is a fluffernutter sandwich??

Behold, the Fluffernutter.

Strangely, I have never had one. Ever. Not even as a kid. I didn't even care for peanut butter and jelly sandwiches all that much. I greatly preferred sardine sandwiches. Maybe that's why I turned out this way. :laugh:

Although I am far from immune from the charms of soothing a crappy day by eating peanut butter straight from the jar ...

Damn Marmish so sorry to hear that your week continues to suck and well I'm decloaking my own crappy couple of weeks due to:

a) A series of crap at work, and

b) A broken heart (sniff) :sad:, where all the cliches just aren't cutting it: "you're better off without that *@!," "there are other fish in the sea," yadda, yadda, yadda

c) crazy family drama................. so for me, soothing my broken heart, crazy family stuff and workplace blues involves:

1) Eating anything delicious and dairy that concentrates as many calories per square inch as possible such as cheesecake, tapioca, flan, creme brulee, double-scoop Turtle ice cream sundae (vanilla ice cream with hot fudge, hot caramel sauce and salty pecans, plenty of whipped cream), pudding of any flavor, especially Kozy Shack or homemade if someone volunteers to make me some, frozen vanilla custard with strawberry sauce from Dickey's, and Ben and Jerry's definitely.

2) For savory foods, I tend to fixate on one savory dish at a time and the one I'm fixated on at the moment is chicken and dumplings. My version is okay, but not as good as one I remembered eating years ago at this total hole in the wall. Unlike any chicken and dumplings I've ever seen, she (the hole's cook) would prepare her's on the bone which I prefer. This stuff was so good I think I always used my bread to sop up every last drop of the sauce/gravy off my plate.

Marmish may I make another comfort food suggestion: serving the offending person(s) head-on-a-stick, with the appropriate garnishes, after being cooked "Set it and Forget it" style in a Ronco Rotisserie. Not that I would actually ever do that. :hmmm:

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!