• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crappiest Day EVERRR

Marmish

I just had the WORST day ever. Not only were things at work bad, bad, bad, but the dress I planned on wearing to a wedding doesn't fit (and I already bought new shoes for it), two people close to me have health issues (one life threatening) and I have PMS.

So what did I have for lunch? A big fat greasy cheeseburger and fries, thats what. Now that I'm home, I'm contemplating a few selections from the liquor cabinet, tempered only by the fact that I have to be at work early to get yelled at some more.

What do you eat on the most horrible, very bad, no good days? And more importantly, what should I be drinking. You have until the meatloaf comes out of the oven. No beer need apply.

Bourbon or whiskey, the good stuff, straight up or on the rocks your preference. Or if you don't like it straight, in a Manhattan - hint of bitters, light on the Vermouth, bourbon (good stuff), dab of maraschino cherry juice and add the cherry and consider it as a serving of fruit.

This one never worked for me, but I had good luck with it when I had friends crying on my shoulder and very upset. Couvossier VSOP, straight up.

Oh, and mac & cheese instead of meatloaf.

Good luck, feel better.

Edited by kalypso (log)

I prefer something that involves lots of chopping and yields up something with a high cholestoral count -- steak frites or something. We'll need some music in the kitchen, too, and a martini. And the wife and kids can just stay away tonight. It's not just the food, it's the process.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Bourbon or whiskey, the good stuff, straight up or on the rocks your preference.  Or if you don't like it straight, in a Manhattan - hint of bitters, light on the Vermouth, bourbon (good stuff), dab of maraschino cherry juice and add the cherry and consider it as a serving of fruit. 

This one never worked for me, but I had good luck with it when I had friends crying on my shoulder and very upset.  Couvossier VSOP, straight up.

Good luck, feel better.

We had mac & cheese this weekend, no pasta left. :angry: Tater tots will be accompanying the meatloaf so that's some consolation.

Bourbon or whiskey, the good stuff, straight up or on the rocks your preference.  Or if you don't like it straight, in a Manhattan - hint of bitters, light on the Vermouth, bourbon (good stuff), dab of maraschino cherry juice and add the cherry and consider it as a serving of fruit. 

This one never worked for me, but I had good luck with it when I had friends crying on my shoulder and very upset.  Couvossier VSOP, straight up.

Good luck, feel better.

We had mac & cheese this weekend, no pasta left. :angry: Tater tots will be accompanying the meatloaf so that's some consolation.

Edited to add - OOOOH bubble bath. Good call.

CHOCOLATE! It always works for me. Not only does it taste great, but it makes one feel better:

" Like other palatable sweet foods, consumption of chocolate triggers the release of endorphins, the body's endogenous opiates. Enhanced endorphin-release reduces the chocolate-eater's sensitivity to pain. Endorphins probably contribute to the warm inner glow induced in susceptible chocoholics."

--chocolate.org

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

Personally, I'd add a vat of mashed potatoes to go with the cheesy meatloaf, and mix up a pitcher of vodka martinis if beer were not an option. And take it all to the bubble bath. (And yeah, my bathtub already has a big ol' jar of chocolates on the adjacent shelf. And a basket of stupid paperback books. Plus a jumbo-sized bucket of aspirin. Necessary supplies for hormonal/emotional emergencies.)

"Enchant, stay beautiful and graceful, but do this, eat well. Bring the same consideration to the preparation of your food as you devote to your appearance. Let your dinner be a poem, like your dress."

Charles Pierre Monselet, Letters to Emily

How do you keep the chocolates from melting if they're near the bath?

I would like to prescribe myself an evening of beer, cheeseburgers, fries, and a milkshake (uh... maybe not all together) but I don't even have the time for it.

To piggyback on this thread: What do you do when you'd love to cook for stress relief, but don't have the time? What do you eat when you're ticked off and operating under the World's Worst Schedule?

Jennie

I like to have small salad of organic baby lettuces and mixed sprouts with a light vinaigrette, plus some multigrain bread and a glass of carrot juice with ginger and wheatgrass.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I would first start with a very large campari, straight up, maybe with some ice, depends on if it's in the freezer or not. Then I would proceed to open either the most expensive bottle of wine I have or something else relatively expensive. If it was really really bad, I wouldn't cook. It would be Thai food from the restaurant down the street, as hot as I can possible handle it. I would then proceed to finish the bottle of wine and any chocolate that was in the house.

And maybe some more wine......

I always head for a jumbo Ketel One Dirty Martini - jalapeno olives. And I don't even bother shaking. Stirred - on the rocks.

ETA: I'm sorry for your crappy day. I've been there, a lot lately, and it truly sucks. I'm toasting to you with my wine. :-) (my very expensive wine from the wine cooler that my soon to be ex husband left b/c his new apartment has no room. heee)

Edited by daniellewiley (log)

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

Good luck, feel better.

We're on the same wavelength, kalypso. My first thought for food was mac and cheese and first thought for booze was Manhattan(s)...

Meatloaf and tatertots (or mashed potatoes) sounds good too, Marmish.

Some Haagen Daz for dessert might be nice as well or else some other ice cream with chocolate sauce. Add a salad if you have some greens at home. Later, bubble bath and/or fun movie. Drink some water before going to bed. Hope you feel better soon.

Pretty funny, FatGuy... :smile:

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

How do you keep the chocolates from melting if they're near the bath?

By eating them quickly, silly! :biggrin: No, normally I keep individually wrapped candies in the jar, and chocolates are primarily for cooler months. I stockpile Tootsie Roll midgies for warmer weather carbohydrate emergencies. (And I'm fortunate to have a really big bathroom of my very own, so it's not hard to keep the candy jar at a bit of distance from the soaking tub.)

I would like to prescribe myself an evening of beer, cheeseburgers, fries, and a milkshake (uh... maybe not all together) but I don't even have the time for it.

I dunno, sounds pretty good all together... under the "right" (wrong?) circumstances.

"Enchant, stay beautiful and graceful, but do this, eat well. Bring the same consideration to the preparation of your food as you devote to your appearance. Let your dinner be a poem, like your dress."

Charles Pierre Monselet, Letters to Emily

I like to have small salad of organic baby lettuces and mixed sprouts with a light vinaigrette, plus some multigrain bread and a glass of carrot juice with ginger and wheatgrass.

Bullshit! :laugh:

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Ooooh poor thing. You've come to the right place to find plenty of commiserators. You may want to pop onto the PMS thread for inspiration.

The doctor here orders you to "maggies and bean food" Margaritas heavy on the tequila with beans and rice and chips with some salsa. Its good for the soul and nothing but carbs. :biggrin:

Of course, ice cream and chocolate may be needed if you have a sweet tooth.

Buck up, it'll get better. Call in sick tomorrow :raz: and tell your boss to take a leap! Something I've done more often than I care to admit is I write horrible bitchy scathing letters on the computer and then delete them. Venting is goooood.

You'll let us know if tomorrow gets better?

(danielle- you GO girl! sorry to hear about the break-up tho :sad: )

Carbs definitely soothe the soul of the savage or beaten down beast. Lunar cycle issues just make it worse.

I feel your pain. I've been there. Mashed potatoes or pasta are good easy and soothing foods. The Manhattans are de rigeur for a rotten day. If I'm too aggravated to even cook for myself, good Chinese takeout usually helps. Beef and Broccoli with Satay sauce is comforting.

Instant pudding for dessert is easy and makes me feel like a kid again. Chocolate fudge pudding with a nice shot of Grand Marnier replacing a bit of the milk in the preparation is even better. :smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Liar, liar, pants on fire. :raz:

But back to the question....may I suggest the heart of the person most directly responsible for your bad day (assuming he/she has one)? Maybe that's a dish best served cold, though. :wink:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

When I have especially crappy days, I like to make voodoo dolls out of hamburger meat, cocktail olives, bacon, and tater tots, and deep fry them. Then I eat them according to ancient Satanic ritual while standing over a pentagram, while watching Rachael Ray on Food Network -- although if Rachael is not avaliable, I'll settle for one of my archived Tivo episodes of Sandra Lee. Then I'll make a nice big Haagen Daz strawberry and Percocet milkshake, and finish it off with a nice tall snifter of small batch bourbon or aged rum.

The problem is, I've now run out of friends and family and eGullet staff to kill in effigy and my cholestorol count is now at like 600, I am currently enrolled in a twelve step program and am under constant psychiatric observation.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I was going to ask, "Then why are you fat, Guy?" but I didn't want to be rude.... glad others exposed the joke. :smile:

For me, when I'm upset, it always poutine. Roasted fries & curd cheese swimming in a nice port gravy, perhaps with a little bacon tossed in there to bastardize it up good. And of course a nice bottle of merlot.... you should always put alcohol on your wounds.

Bread pudding, warm, with cold spiced and sweetened cream.

Or cornbread with lots of butter and a glass of cold buttermilk.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

God, I love commiseration. Cheeseburger, fries, meatloaf, tater tots, lots of chocolate with almonds, lots of red wine, coffee, and headed for the bath shortly.

Fortunately, the boss was the best part of the day. She's fantastic. I hate getting bombarded on all sides when I'm trying to do the right thing by everyone. I know you can't please everyone, and I certainly have a don't-give-a-shit attitude when I know I'm right 100%. Unfortunately, today was a day of compromises and grey areas.

Jason and Fat Guy, you sure know how to cheer a girl up. :smile: Salad, my ass. Now frying in effigy, that has promise.

Thanks everybody. I feel a lot more prepared to face tomorrow. And I'm already taking Thursday off. Although Thursday I have to collect a urine sample from my DOG, and shop for a dress, so I may be back in this thread anyways.