• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

BYOB London or Edinburgh?

Some do, but most don't - or at least don't advertise it. However, those that don't explicitly advertise themselves as BYOB may be open to persuasion if you call up in advance.

In Edinburgh the ones that do say they're BYOB tend to be at the cheaper (student) end of the market. It's been a while since I've been to one, but I think corkage used to be £2 or £3, or thereabouts.

PS

Edinburgh

there are plenty of places in London, if not most, that will accept BYO.

the conditions are that you have to organise it beforehand, but they won't advertise. and you can expect to pay a decent whack.

£10 - £12 would be about right.

though the point is that you have a bottle you really want to bring, then the charge is reasonable.

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

I think a £25 corkage charge is reasonable if the glasses are good-means no-one's trying to stiff the restaurant, but still good value if you drink really good bottles.

£25 is ONLY reasonable if the restaurant is up to it.

if it is an exclusive restaurant, like the square, or Pied a terre fine (both of which do charge just that); otherwise they're having a laugh.

I've seen places with housewine at £10 trying to charge £18 - 20. which is a joke.

the quality of my wine, or your glasses is irrelevant. Corkage should be the margin on a bottle of housewine, or a maybe a bit more if the restaurant is up to certain standards. I've had clowns try to tell me that I should be grateful for excessive corkages, because of what they would have charged if they stocked the bottle in question.

all of this said, most places are very reasonable and understanding, but some cowboys remain.

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?