• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Deals around town

Thought it might be useful to have one central thread where we can post news on sales and bargain-priced items available in the Lower Mainland.

I'll start off with this quote from today's issue of The Daily Cityfood (Dine & Dash).

Les Amis du Fromage have a slick sale. For the month of February, all olive oils are 15% off advertised prices. All California "Salute" grapeseed oils are also 15% off. Sale limited to stock on hand. Sorry, no rainchecks.

Check their website at www.buycheese.com for a list of the labels in stock.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

• 2 weeks later...

There is a sale on all books at The Book Guy in City Square mall...20% off all stock and most of the stock is discounted to begin with. I didn't get a good look at the selection of food and beverage books because I had my hands full, but it is probably worth a visit. Off the top of my head I remember seeing La Regalade Cookbook and The Wineries of British Columbia.

Caban was blowing out chocolate bars from Xocoa of Barcelona. At $7.95 a bar it is cheaper here than in Spain. There were very few left yesterday.

Cheers,

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Wow, Xocoa bars sell for like $13.99 at Urban Fare! My friends got me a bar as part of my birthday present (green tea sounded so yummy!) but I was really disappointed by it. No discernible green tea flavour... The texture was bad too, but I think it's because it was on the shelf for such a long time :sad: That's what it tasted like, anyway - stale, chalky chocolate.

Paderno products at 40% off at Home Hardware (of all places) 10th and Sasamat area. Not everything is on sale but they sure have a lot of Paderno stuff like steel martini glasses and shaker...great steak knives at $4.75 each or a set of 6 for under $25. These knives have a beautiful wood handle.

BTW, excellent thread!

I was told that lamb is a good deal at a couple of butchers on 52nd and Fraser. One of these shops also sells East Indian videos.

This person buys a whole leg of lamb for $18 because it supposedly has the lowest fat. Anyone know of these two shops? I plan to look for it on my next free day.

Great idea Mooshmouse!

Jumbo lobster - $7.99!!! a pound at the Osaka Supermarket, Yoahan Centre, No. 3 Rd. They had a couple of behemoths there that would tip the scales at around 15 lb. Heeeuge!

John.

"Venite omnes qui stomacho laboratis et ego restaurabo vos"

Well, quite a number of items at the Cambie Street liquor store appear to be on sale at the moment....

Right you are, Ducky. As noted in this blurb from the Georgia Straight, BC liquor stores are offering significant markdowns on older or discontinued stock in order to make room for the new.

Selection varies greatly from store to store, but with low prices—plenty under $10—adventures and untried treasures await.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

I didn’t want to create a new thread, so I’m putting this here.

Hell has officially frozen. LDB has finally decided to put on its website what we’ve all been desperately wanting since the dawn of time. A real-time stock inventory for their products.

For example, lets say you want 2004 Calona Opal. You can see which store has it and how many.

YAY!!!!!!! Best thing since slice bread I tells ya.

Edited by eugene (log)

"Since when do you have to be hungry to eat?"

Give a man a fish and you’ll feed him for a day. Teach a man how to fish andhe’ll open up his own place right across the street from yours, steal your sous-chef, talk shit about you, haggle with suppliers, undercut your prices, kiss critics’ ass, steal your clients and you’ll eventually curse the day you taught him how to fish.

Great idea Mooshmouse!

Jumbo lobster - $7.99!!! a pound at the Osaka Supermarket, Yoahan Centre, No. 3 Rd. They had a couple of behemoths there that would tip the scales at around 15 lb. Heeeuge!

John.

Wow. Sounds like you would need to strap him in a baby car-seat to get him home. hee hee! Can you imagine driving along and seeing someone with a giant lobster in their car-seat? Even with the sale, $120 lobster...I'd make sure he was strapped in and comfy!

I didn’t want to create a new thread, so I’m putting this here.

Hell has officially frozen.  LDB has finally decided to put on its website what we’ve all been desperately wanting since the dawn of time.  A real-time stock inventory for their products.

For example, lets say you want 2004 Calona Opal. You can see which store has it and how many.

YAY!!!!!!! Best thing since slice bread I tells ya.

Thanks for the heads up. In addition, if the store lists one or two items being in stock, call to confirm. Sometimes their inventory is out due to miscount, theft, etc. This will save you a lot of frustration. Also, pick up their monthly list guide. In the first page you will see symbols denoting which products are limited, on sale, new, etc. I find that in Feb and March they reduce their Christmas overstock.

Also, the Dunbar store on 16th and Dunbar seem to have some great deals. Don (wine consultant) and Tom (assistant manager) at the store are continually clearing shelves for new stock so you may net a 25% savings on some good stuff.

Today's edition of The Daily CityFood mentions the inventory sale on now through Tuesday, February 28 at Les Amis du Fromage.

All dry goods (not cheese or frozen items) will be discounted by 15% Save 15% on all vinegars, mustards, dips, antipasto's, salts, jams, honeys, griottines, masi risotto, truffle items, etc.

-sale prices do not apply to crackers, biscuits, walkers, duchy, raincoast crisps, etc. These items have great everyday prices.

The following items will be discounted by 20%

-Olive oils

-Salute grapeseed oils

-Masi olive oil and balsamic vinegar gift sets (with or without cruet)

-D.O.P. Balsamic vinegars (12 yr & 25 yr)

This sale will last from Sunday Feb 26 2006 up to and including Tuesday Feb 28 2006

Sale limited to supplies on hand. Sorry, no rain cheques.

Joie Alvaro Kent

Anyone been to Les Amis du Fromage recently? Did they have much left, I was planning on dropping by on Saturday and seeing if there was any good deals to pick up (salt/grape oil/truffle products)

Good afternoon Costco shoppers ...

6 Riedels (Vinum Series) - White or Red (sorry forget the exact model) - $99.

I haven't priced Riedels out in a while, but it seems like a pretty good deal!

A.

Anyone been to Les Amis du Fromage recently? Did they have much left, I was planning on dropping by on Saturday and seeing if there was any good deals to pick up (salt/grape oil/truffle products)

Judging by mooshmouse's post, I believe the sale has ended.

Good afternoon Costco shoppers ...

6 Riedels (Vinum Series) - White or Red (sorry forget the exact model) - $99.

I haven't priced Riedels out in a while, but it seems like a pretty good deal!

A.

That's a great price Arne! Depending on the specific designation, the Vinum series is mid $30's retail, per stem.

Sounds like a good stop pre-Wine Festival.

John

"Venite omnes qui stomacho laboratis et ego restaurabo vos"

Today's issue of The Daily CityFood notes that:

UBC Farms will be selling UBC Farm Fresh Free-Range Eggs in front of the Macmillan building today (Tuesday) from noon-1pm. Get there early as they sell out fast!!

MacMillan Building (MCML)

2357 Main Mall, UBC

Joie Alvaro Kent

Today at the new "H Mart" just off Robson, we saw whole HUGE fresh dungeness crab for $5.98 per lb. Was very tempted to get some for dinner.

They also had fresh Monkfish, Sole, Oysters and Abalone. I wonder who they get all this from.

Was also tempted to get the quickie soup set up they had....Beef Noodle, with all the veggies cut, shaved beef, Noodles, spice pkg, sausage...etc for $12. It looked good and could possibly feed 4-6 people. Also had a set up for a fish soup and a vegetable/tofu soup.

Interesting shop. Could see myself there in the future. :biggrin:

If you are a fan of the Baxter's soups form the U.K. Army and Navy are selling them for $1.69 a tin. :blink: They have the Cream of Scottish Smoked Salmon, Butternut squash and red pepper, Autumn vegetables, and tomato and basil. I've paid anywhere from $3.25 to $4.50 for these soups at Urban Fare or Meinharts. Helen and I stocked up on a mixed case for those late night snacks after a wine tasting.

Cheers,

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

• 2 weeks later...

Found some cream cheese at Save On Meat on Hastings. The brand is "Alexis de Portneuf". It's a soft unripened cow and goat milk cream cheese. For $1 you get a 125g round (55% moisture, 24% m.f.) They also have a 250g size for $2.

I like the creamy texture and it doesn't crumble when spread on melba toast. Also, the round package is easier to scoop out from than the tubes.

I also see that they have fresh lamb shoulder roast for $2.69 a pound.

• 3 weeks later...

Organic blue gouda cheese (Dutch imported) is on sale this week at Save-on Foods, locally anyway. I can't claim to be a connoisseur of fine cheese, but I found this to be very delicious, I wish I bought more, and I will! Highly recommend it if you are interested. (don't know how it compares price wise, but is $3.79/100 g until Saturday midnight.) :smile:

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon