• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

This may sound crazy but...

misspiggy

Hi all, I'm planning a trip to India, and I always make a point of trying out sushi in countries where you just aren't expecting it. I would love to know if there's any "Indian take" on this craft, or just where to find Sushi when I'm there. I haven't made any final decisions yet on what areas to visit, so any ideas are welcome!

Thanks,

I only know what's available in Delhi (though I would be mighty surprised if you COULDN'T get sushi in Mumbai (i.e. Bombay)).

In Delhi, you can get sushi at the Oberoi Hotel, located at Dr. Zakir Hussein Marg

Also at the Shangri-La Hotel, in Ashoka Road

I haven't eaten it. When I was living full time in Delhi, there was no sushi available. However:

Each to their own, and all that, but it will be probably be very expensive compared to other Indian food options (you are also paying for novelty and snob value as well as mostly imported ingredients).

IMO, even though you want to eat sushi all round the world, it would still not be particularly worthwhile in India as there is no 'Indian take' on it that I can think of, unless referring to probably a larger selection of vegetarian options to cater to the large number of vegetarians in India. Rice is imported, wasabi is imported, quite a lot of the fish would be imported.

Heck, even MacDonalds in India will have more Indianized options than sushi will provide you. Or, if you really want an 'Indian take' on Asian food, go for Indian Chinese, such as for example 'chicken manchurian' or it's vegetarian counterpart 'gobi (cauliflower) manchurian'.

But there is so much delicious food in India, with so many regional specialties, that to me it seems like a wasted opportunity - eating sushi means forgoing a meal that offers other dishes and ingredients you'd probably never get a chance to eat elsewhere.

If I were just visiting India for the purposes of eating well, and without the family obligations etc. that make me stay in one place, I think I'd start in Tamil Nadu, in Chennai (i.e. Madras) then across to Kerala, and work (i.e. eat) my way up the coast to Goa...

That would also be lots of rice, lots of seafood. No sushi.

But that's just me (and just a dream, alas).

Thanks, I get where you're coming from...it's just a little challenge I have given myself, and I'm determined to find some really cool takes on sushi.

Of course I love Indian cuisine and can't wait for everything else.

Surely there must be something cool over there - anyone?

Not India but there may be a possiblity of finding some crossover inMantra Restaurant & Bar - Pattaya, Thailand.

Exotic combinations from the menu, offer diners a host of sublime taste sensations.  In each of the open kitchens, the chefs take centre stage, expertly preparing the cuisine in a well-orchestrated display of their craft.  Highlights include tandoori, fresh from the oven and sushi that is prepared as you watch at the sushi bar.

I havent come across any Indian take on Sushi but maybe... :rolleyes:

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

Not quite India... but there are at least 5 decent Japanese Restuarants in Colombo, Sri Lanka. There is a lot of fresh tuna, and a big serving of sashimi is around $5.00. Nothing artistic or innovative, just authentic simple food.

If you are travelling from the Americas stop in Tokyo on your way to India and go to the central fish market and have the world's best sashimi right there.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd agree with everything that's been said here regarding the lack of a specific Indian take on sushi. However, if you absolutely insist on sushi in India, one of the best places to eat it in Delhi would be The Nikko Metropolitan hotel. The hotel is run by a Japanese company, and a lot of their clientele are Japanese businessmen. Their restaurant Sakura is known as arguably the best sushi restaurant in town. Here's a review:

http://www.uppercrustindia.com/6crust/six/restaurant1.htm

There's a pretty good Japanese restaurant in Chennai (Madras) that serves sushi. It is mostly frequented by Japanese businessmen and expats and is tough to find if you're not looking for it. It's behind Jayanthy theatre on L B Road (a main road in the city). You'll have to take a small lane that leads literally behind the theatre. Almost couldn't believe it when we first went there.

There's a pretty good Japanese restaurant in Chennai (Madras) that serves sushi. It is mostly frequented by Japanese businessmen and expats and is tough to find if you're not looking for it. It's behind Jayanthy theatre on L B Road (a main road in the city). You'll have to take a small lane that leads literally behind the theatre. Almost couldn't believe it when we first went there.

Just returned from Chennai yesterday--there's a new restaurant in the Taj Connemara hotel that features a Japanese teppanyaki grill and Thai, Vietnamese and Indonesian food. We had the Thai--very good, and a palate cleanser after eating dosais and "meals" for two weeks.

• 3 years later...

Just returned from Chennai yesterday--there's a new restaurant in the Taj Connemara hotel that features a Japanese teppanyaki grill and Thai, Vietnamese and Indonesian food. We had the Thai--very good, and a palate cleanser after eating dosais and "meals" for two weeks.

Eaten there , when they had a tepayanki festival .It was the first time for me , so it was a novel experience .

As far as Sushi places go , in Bangalore there are now around 4 to 5 places which serve Sushi and Sashimi ....