• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anyone built a sugar warmer?

aidensnd2

So I've been thinking about building a sugar warming box but I can't settle on a design so I was hoping to find inspiration here...

Ideally I want something that fold flat or comes apart for easy storage as it won't be used too often. I was thinking about using hinged plexiglass for the 3 sides but I can't figure out how to make it fold flat.

Any tips?

Thanks in advance.

So I've been thinking about building a sugar warming box but I can't settle on a design so I was hoping to find inspiration here...

Ideally I want something that fold flat or comes apart for easy storage as it won't be used too often. I was thinking about using hinged plexiglass for the 3 sides but I can't figure out how to make it fold flat.

Any tips?

Thanks in advance.

This may be a dumb question, but what the hell is a sugar warmer?

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Any tips?

Thanks in advance.

This may be a dumb question, but what the hell is a sugar warmer?

I almost posted the same question; then I figured it must be a box for keeping pulled sugar work warm and pliable whilst working with it......... am I right?!

I bought one from a decorator in Kansas City who used acrylic piano hinges so it folds flat. It uses a 250 watt heat lamp from above and no heat needed from underneath. Now, if I could only find the time to play with it.

If you'd like, I can put it together and take some pictures of it. Maybe that will be the kick in the tush I need to make some time to play with it.

And yes, Ruth - you're right.

Edited by Kathyf (log)

I have almost finished building my sugar box. For the top and bottom, I used 3/4" wood, and the top has a groove cut into it to allow the lamp's cord to get through so it can hang down to the middle. It's also a 250Watt heat bulb. For the sides, I got 1 sheet of 1/8" plexiglass, and cut 13" widths, to make the 3 sides. To connect them together (this is the stage where I am now) I bought some long metal strips that are basically used as hinges, but they're way longer - they go the whole length of the 24" height of the plexiglass and what I am going to do is drill holes in the plexiglass that will match up with the metal holes and nut/bolt them together. Once the metal strip is attached to 2 pieces of plexi, they will then fold flat together. To attach a third side and have the whole thing collapsable, I am going to have to attach the metal strip on that piece to the opposite side of the plexi, so when the 3 pieces will fold down together, it will be in a Z shape. In other words, if the 1st flap of plexi folds "in" on the 2nd flap, then the 3rd flap will fold "out".

Now, to put the whole thing together, I screwed metal pieces with a 90º bend in them back to back on the pieces of wood, leaving about 1/8" space between them all around what will be the perimeter of where the plexi will sit. I screwed these metal pieces on the top and bottom pieces of wood, maybe 8 sets each. When the plexi is set into these gaps and the top wood is placed the same way, it really sits nice and sturdy. It's a breeze to put together and take apart, and the testing I have done was done with the plexi pieces not even attached to each other yet, so once that's done Im sure it'll be more stable.

I also bought some vinyl which I'm going to staple to a wooden crate that I have, for the sugar to sit upon when it's in the box.

I figured this probably cost me about $80.00 CND to put together, as opposed to the lovely sugar box from chefette's post that cost $391.00 USD, and still has to be shipped to you!

Once I finally get this put together, I can post pictures.

Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse