• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chip & Pin Credit Card Woes

How has the chip and pin campaign been going in the UK? Apparently the older sign cards are still being accepted, but it is not clear for how long. Any US credit card users having trouble with the new system? As far as I know US cards are still, sign only for credit, though pin required for debit. If car cards are chipped, the significance of this addition is not clear.

The Guardian ran a story today focused on the difficulties the new system causes

for the elderly, but I don't know if it will also cause trouble for travellers.

http://www.chipandpin.co.uk/consumer/index.html

and

http://money.guardian.co.uk/creditanddebt/...1698115,00.html

I know that my British debit card dos not work on the Canadian debit card system Interac...so I'm guessing ours will not be compatible in the U.K.

Cheers,

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

You shouldn't have any problem coming from outside the UK and using a credit card that doesn't use a pin. It only applies to UK issued cards. The registered disabled will still have the option to sign if they want and the elderly may get away with it if they plead Alzheimers.

as far as I understand it, if your card has a chip then from 14th Feb you must use the PIN facility at the point of sale to use this card. If you don't know the PIN number then the merchant will no longer let you sign for it instead.

However, if your card doesn't have a chip then they should still swipe it for you.

I think most merchants will keep the swipe technology because, as you say, most US cards along with many other countries do not have C+P yet.

as far as I understand it, if your card has a chip then from 14th Feb you must use the PIN facility at the point of sale to use this card. If you don't know the PIN number then the merchant will no longer let you sign for it instead.

However, if your card doesn't have a chip then they should still swipe it for you.

I think most merchants will keep the swipe technology because, as you say, most US cards along with many other countries do not have C+P yet.

As postcode said above there will be those, such as some disabled people, whose cards will contain a marker that tells the merchant that the user must sign and not enter a PIN. So, yes, the merchants will have to be able to handle cards that are not chip & PIN.

When we were in France last year we found that their new machines have both a PIN slot and a place to swipe the magnetic stripe. Some places expected that non-French cards were not Chip&Pin, but the machines mostly told them to use the PIN slot when they swiped our cards. (There were still some French machines last year that were not compatible with UK cards).

I would expect that the UK machines will work in a similar way to the French ones and tell the merchant to use the correct slot if they get it wrong.

Edited by JudyB (log)

Our machine will still do both (swipe & chip) and we aren't expecting any changes with non chip cards (outside the uk banks), only you wont be able to get drunk and sign when you get the pin wrong anymore!

(Always plenty of washing up on hand though!)

http://www.allium.uk.net

http://alliumfood.wordpress.com/ the alliumfood blog

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming - Whey hey what a ride!!!, "

Sarah Poli, Firenze, Kibworth Beauchamp