• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's it's name?

Kim Shook

What is the term for the really, really thin cake that is sometimes colored or textured by spreading out on a sheet of something (showing my vast ignorance here) and when baked, cut up to make a casing for things like mousse, etc.?? I cannot think of it and am trying to update my restaurant journal. Thank you.

Edited by Kim Shook (log)

What is the term for the really, really thin cake that is sometimes colored or textured by spreading out on a sheet of something (showing my vast ignorance here) and when baked, cut up to make a casing for things like mousse, etc.??  I cannot think of it and am trying to update my restaurant journal.  Thank you.

jaconde, biscuit, sponge

Whenever I've seen it, tuile is a very thin crispy cookie. Joconde is a very thin sponge cake usually used to wrap around a mousse/bavarian cream tye of filling to create a cake. Both can be colored/decorated/striped. I think somewhere on the site is a demo by Wendy showing how to do decorative joconde.