• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Concentrating Flavor in Vegetables

Robert Schonfeld

One reads often of chefs having the ability to "get the most from" or "concentrate" or "intensify" the flavor of an ingredient.

My interest in this right now applies to vegetables.

Can anyone offer ideas about how to achieve such results? For example, in making a puree of peas, what method or technique might one use to get the deepest, richest flavor? Does it involve a particular treatment of the ingredient itself, or perhaps the addition of another ingredient which brings out the flavor of the principal ingredient? For example, Bugialli points out that basil is added to a basic tomato sauce not for its own flavor, but to bring out the fuller flavor of the tomatoes.

All comments, advice, suggestions welcomed.

Who said "There are no three star restaurants, only three star meals"?

There's no one way to do it. It depends on the vegetable. In general, yes, roasting. Using reduced vegetable stocks (made with roasted vegetables). Adding particular herbs or other ingredients.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I've made the French Laundry carrot soup a number of times; this has about the most concentrated flavour you can imagine. You juice around 20 carrots, then you simmer another 20 carrots (cut up) in this juice, then you puree the whole. It's delicious, but the flavour is so pure and strong that an espresso cupful of this is plenty.

Jonathan Day

"La cuisine, c'est quand les choses ont le go�t de ce qu'elles sont."

Right, juicing is a great method. Vegetable waters (like cucumber, tomato, and so on) too.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

All of you are ofcoure correct, different techniques should be used for different ingredients. The bottom line is to concentrate the natural sugars the exist in your product

Extraction and reduction of natural flavores is the best way to go about your procedure. Ofcourse with fresh English pea's a touch a raw sugar and fluer de sel with highlight it's natural flavor,but if you let's say caralize a shallot or two in butter and add your pea's (that have been blached in salted water) to the sweetened shallots you will naturally highlight the sweetness of the pea's Carrots,unlike pea's do not loose there brillient color when cooked,so you need to be aware when preparing greens as to not destroy there fresh,bright apperence.

I believe in cooking as much as humanly possible with the seasons,hence,less manipulation needs to take place to the ingredient because it is already at it's flavor peek.less is more in this situation. For those of you whom insist on strawberries in December,well that's another story.

Also, taste and learn as much as you can about fresh herbs..there flavor profile can work magic in your dishes

Turnip Greens are Better than Nothing. Ask the people who have tried both.