• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Menu help

Daniel

Having people over for the Super Bowl aka the Supper Bowl.. My girl will be out of town for the weekend, so its a guy only event.. So making it healthy is not an option..

Here are some of my thoughts :

Buffalo Style Quail:

I will deep fry a bunch of whole quail stuffed with blue cheese and serve them with wing sauce and blue cheese sauce with carrot, celery..

Potato Skins:

I want to use a blend of cheeses.. Gruyere is in there.. And of course a big slap of Schaller and Weber Double Smoked.. Served with creme fraiche and chive..

Mini Bacon Cheese Burgers:

Served on mini potato rolls.. Fried with onions, served with blue cheese and bacon...

Mini Lamb Burgers:

Goat cheese and rosemary mustard..

Mini Tea Smoked Duck Sandwiches:

Buying the smoked duck from a local place and making sandwiches using toasted white bread..Havent really worked this one out yet..

Maryland Style Peel and Eat Shrimp:

Large shrimp seasoned with Obryck's..

Chili:

Will have in a hot pot.. With condiments on the side.. So this will also be a build your own nacho station..

Ok so what am I missing.. To me the menu seems really predictable.. But thats kind of what I was going for.. Just a better versions of typical dishes.. Also do all the dishes match.. For me the shrimp just seems out of place.. But hey who has complained about a place having too much shrimp..

Also for some resaon I want to scrap the mini burgers and just make foot long subs.. A lot less work for me..The more I look at the menu the more it bores me..

Edit to add:

Quail will be stuffed with blue cheese. Then fried and hot wing sauce will be put on.

Edited by Daniel (log)

I have very little idea on what this Super Bowl is about. It seems to be very different to a grand final here and I won't be able to say without crossing my fingers behind my back that I find American football to be in anyway interesting...

BUT, that being said I like your menu. It is incredibly blokey sounding and well cheesy. I hope there are no lactose intolerants in the group. :laugh:

Could you alter one of the mini burgers so it is less boring to you? I really like the lamb combo BTW. I was thinking the cheeseburger but stuffed into a wonton wrapper cup. You could bake them in mini muffin tray.

Or, could you make a stuffed meatball instead? I have an overused recipe for meatballs that are stuffed with a pinenut and parsley mixture.

The woman in me also needs to tell you that you should add some vegetables or fruit. Please feel free to ignore that part.

I can only assume there will be beer and that is the beverage taken care of.

No dessert?

I find my guy friends usually like the really basic stuff. Cheesecake. Apple pie. Brownies. Sticky toffee pudding.

But to eat dessert they would have to stop drinking beer.. that was my thinking anyway.

My boy actually had his bi-annual rendition of man weekend this past weekend, and I have to say, your menu looks much, much better than what they ate (which was essentially tons of beer and bbq). And fried pickles. And for some reason, fried calamari.

Anyway, I think the bacon blue burgers are too much of a repeat of the stuffed hot quail.

Following up on jackal's response, why not make a pizza?

As well, fried, greasy, cheesy food certainly does soak up the beer well - fried pickles? I'm on a fried pickle kick, I guess.

Eating pizza with a fork and knife is like making love through an interpreter.

No dessert?

I find my guy friends usually like the really basic stuff. Cheesecake. Apple pie. Brownies. Sticky toffee pudding.

But to eat dessert they would have to stop drinking beer.. that was my thinking anyway.

now that's just not true...

Blueberry beer? Anyone, anyone? :wink:

Eating pizza with a fork and knife is like making love through an interpreter.

Nice.. I have the chili.. Which I was thinking could be a dip.. But I like the crab dip.. And yeh, I am still deciding between subs and mini burgers.. Subs just seem easier and can be premade.. No need to worry about having them hot..

Also I have three pannini makers.. I was thinking of making the duck into a panini..

So, do you think i need to make chili and crab dip? I figured nachos would be pretty popular.. So I was going to arrange chips, onion, jalepenos, shredded cheese blend, sour cream, scallions around a pot of chili being heated via sterno in a pot on a side table.. Like a nacho station, if you will.. :biggrin: But the crap dip would then go well with the shrimp too. So I could put the crab dip arrange with a multi grain baked cracker and the shrimp next to them.. Now I have a little MD situation going on.. :biggrin:

For subs I could do a marinated skirt steak with blue cheese.. I could do Italian Hot or Cold, or just a typical Jersey Subshop version..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Please be sure to serve FRITOS with the chili, Daniel!!! :wub:

One other thought...mac 'n cheese! I'm very fond of the Saveur recipe, which uses gruyere, parmesan AND cheddar. Feel free to PM me for the recipe--it's always a huge hit, and easy for the chef--make it a day or two before, then just heat and serve.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

3 panini grills...how about mini Cubans, although duck panini does sound pretty good...

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

No dessert?

Sorry.. I was allowing my female side to creep in. Return to your scheduled prgram. :laugh:

No dessert?

Blueberry beer? Anyone, anyone? :wink:

Bellevue Kriek (a cherry beer) is great with dessert! :smile:

Hey Daniel,

Instead of hamburgers and lamb-burgers, how about themed sandwiches- so for Seattle do a smoked salmon, red onion panini and for Pittsburgh, ?? Sorry I came up short, would have suggested a variation on Philly cheesesteak but that is probably sacreligeous (sorry people of Pittsburgh). How about the Pittsburger then? I'm sure I read about such a thing somewhere. Oh wait that was a Rothles-burger with Heinz (Ward) ketchup.

Okay I just re-read the thread in Special Occasions (link) and apparently people from Pittsburgh eat something called "chipped ham", and one of the local specialties when it comes to sandwiches is to stuff them with fries (which I thought was a Jersey thing). So chipped ham and chips sandwiches it is. ??

Grocery List.. I was toying with some dishes today.. We made potato skins with bacon, montery, cheddar, feta, bacon creme fraiche and chives.. Bacon wrapped scallops, black pepper shrimp, and blue cheese stuffed wings.. Everything looks ready to go for tomorrow..

Cheese

0.75/0.79 lb Boerenkaas, Extra Aged

1.5/ lCrumbled Domestic Gorgonzola

2 lb La Fourme d'Ambert

3/3 Vermont Butter and Cheese Company Crème Fraîche (8oz)

Dairy

2/2 Dodoni Greek Feta (7oz)

1/1 Farmland 36% Heavy Cream (1 quart)

2/2 Kraft Natural Shredded Cheddar and Monterey Jack (8oz)

1/1 Kraft Natural Shredded Mild Cheddar (8oz)

1/1 Lambeth Groves Fresh Orange Juice (1 quart)

2/2 Richfood Shredded Cheddar Cheese (16oz)

1/1 Richfood Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese (8oz)

1/1 Ronnybrook Antibiotic-Free Creamline Milk (64oz)

Deli

1.03 lb Cerignola Green Olives

1.02 lb Finlandia Swiss, Sliced (Thin Slices)

1/1 FreshDirect Plain Cream Cheese (8oz)

2.6 lb Half-Sour Kosher Pickles (Lg)

1.14 lb Provolone Cheese, Sliced (Thick Slices)

Fruit

1/1 Hass Avocados Value Pack (6pk)

15/15 Lemons (Farm Fresh, Med)

15 Limes (Farm Fresh)

Grocery

3 Goya Kidney Beans (15.5oz)

2 Goya Red Beans (15oz)

2 Keebler Low-Fat Wheatables (9oz)

1 Nabisco Wheat Thins Low Salt Snack Crackers (10oz)

1 Tostitos Gold (12oz)

2 Tostitos Restaurant Style Hint of Lime Tortilla Chips (13.5oz)

1 Tostitos Restaurant Style Tortilla Chips (13.5oz)

1/1 Tostitos Salsa con Queso - Medium (15.5oz jar)

Meat

4.06 lb Bone-In Center-Cut Pork Loin Special Roast (Standard Pack)

22.11 lb Chicken Wings, Bulk Pack (Bag of 35)

16 Quail, Frozen (Grade A Frozen)

4.05 lb Schaller & Weber Double Smoked Bacon Slab (about 10 - 12oz)

3.62 lb Skirt Steak (USDA Choice, Ginger Soy, Standard Pack)

Seafood

18 Farm-Raised Cherrystone Clams

1.56 lb lb Large Wild Sea Scallops

2.46 lb Live Wild Lobsters (1.25 lb)

2.02 lb Shell-On Colossal Farm-Raised Shrimp

3.08 lb Shell-On Medium Farm-Raised Shrimp

3.0 lb Whole Wild Snapper (2 - 3 lb, Fillets:Whole)

Vegetables & Herbs

4 Celery (Farm Fresh, Med)

2 Cilantro (Farm Fresh)

2 Curly Parsley (Farm Fresh)

5 Garlic (Farm Fresh, Med)

1.14 lb

3 Italian Parsley (Farm Fresh)

7 Jumbo Carrots (Farm Fresh)

3.3 lb $

3 Oregano (Farm Fresh)

7 Red Onion (Farm Fresh, Lg)

3.88 lb

3 Russet Potato, Bag (Farm Fresh, 5lb bag)

3 Scallions (Farm Fresh)

2 Shallots (Farm Fresh, 10oz bag)

2 Yellow Onion, Bag (Farm Fresh, 2lb bag)

Edited by Daniel (log)

So here are the pictures of the blue cheese stuffed wings. They came out great.. No need for blue cheese dressing.. (But I am making a classic blue cheese and a feta cheese dressing)Soaked the wings in milk.. Stuffed, floured and fried.. Awesome'

gallery_15057_2395_56939.jpg

gallery_15057_2395_46134.jpg

gallery_15057_2395_11394.jpg

Notice the cheese oozing.. It melted through out the meat.. Covered the wings with the Anchor Bar Wing Sauce.. Pretty much Franks and Butter..

gallery_15057_2395_75621.jpg

Bite:

Sometimes when I make wings, I like to do my nails pretty.. Please take a moment to take respect the blue cheese chicken jus goodness..

gallery_15057_2395_30155.jpg

Edited by Daniel (log)

I NEED HELP!!!!!!!!! EEEEK!!!!

Ok, now that I hopefully have your attention...

I have everything planned for tonight (not as lavish as your menu, Daniel) but I am serving Chilli, BBQ Wings, Nachos, and Micro Brews...

Only thing is, I want to make a dipping sauce for the BBQ wings, but it cannot include sour cream!

This is something I have never made before...Help!

PLEASE!

I thought beer, take out Pizza , beer and maybe nachos and more beer was traditional. Maybe buffalo wings. More beer. Food is kinda...secondary...and there to soak up the beer.

If you're from New Jersey, its sausage and peppers and onions over Italian bread. Overstuffed Italian cold cut hoagies are an acceptable substitute. With meatballs over pasta or subs as a second course.

Of course, since these are both teams anyone from Joisey couldn't care less about, the full treatment is hardly worth the effort, so take out Pizza and Wings, yeah.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host