• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast Casserole

Mssmltzr

My boyfriend has expressed interest in cooking and I am doing my best to encourage it. He wants his first project to be a breakfast casserole. It needs to be very, very basic. Nothing that includes too many "fru fru" ingredients that may intimidate him. I really just need a recipe that works well for throwing stuff into a dish and sticking it in the oven. A good recipe to build upon--so he can eventually make it his own.

Anyone have any tried-and-true recipes that they don't mind sharing?

Thanks for the help!

Very easy.. Take spinach and cook it in garlic and oil.. Add a little crushed red pepper.. Put that at the bottom of a circular pot, to cover the bottom.. Put slices of salami, ham, or any combination of italian meats.....The put a layer of mozzarella down.. Then crack eggs on top of everything.. Then put the eggs in then bake till eggs are cooked.

Edited by Daniel (log)

stupidly simple egg casserole:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put a tablespoon or so of butter in an ovenproof casserole (1 qt? i'm so bad at volume estimation...) , and stick it in the oven while it's preheating, so the butter melts and gets a bit nutty. Beat together 6 eggs. Stir in about a cup of grated cheese (your choice), 1/2 cup of creme fraiche or sour cream, 2 tablespoons flour. (from here, you can go nuts--i usually add slices on precooked sausage, like aidell's, sometimes roasted green chiles or salsa, etc.). Remove heated casserole from oven and pour mixture in. return to oven and bake until puffed and golden, about 35 minutes. Smells great, looks divine and tastes better.

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

I recommend a strata - mix together a few eggs - maybe 6 or so - with some cream (maybe a cup or a little more). Add a spoonful of dijon, some spices, maybe a teaspoon or so of salt...

Then line a casserole dish with sliced bread, top with half of desired fillings, already cooked (I like chorizo, potato, onions, peppers, and cheese), then top with more bread, then the remaining fillings, then pour the egg mixture over the top. Put it in the fridge overnight so the bread soaks up the egg, then bake. Mmmm!

Don't know what part of the country you are from, but even yankees are amazed and appreciative of this recipe for sausage cheese grits casserole:

http://www.marthawhite.com/recipes/recipeD...?recipeid=17444

Get up a little early, pop it in the oven, and let it go. I can't keep people out of it. Call it a polenta casserole if you like, and even use cooked polenta if you must be honest. No matter.

:biggrin:

Modifications? I add about an eighth of a teaspoon of dried mustard, and do so on a regular basis. Something about dried mustard and cheddar does an amazing thing. Ham or bacon could be substituded for the sausage, if you like. Some diced green pepper, onion and mushroom have all been used in my household to keep things interesting. Heck, you could even toss a handfull of spinach in there if you are feeling frisky, or maybe garlic. Garlic/cheddar/onion make a very good seasoning mix, to my taste.

Other than that, I would think a quiche. Deep dish, in a springform, tall and full of lovely things. You have to mess around with the pastry though, and it would be a bit trickier than the dump and bake casserole. All depends upon your taste, and what you like.

Good luck.

i recently made a makeshift huevos rancheros casserole for a brunch potluck, layered in a casserole dish as follows:

- corn tortillas, softened in oil

- refried beans

- enchilada sauce (we used the 'mesa red sauce' recipe from the rebar cookbook -- basically sauteed onions and garlic, cumin and straight chili powder, simmered with some stock and cilantro and tomato paste and masa flour to thicken, though there are probably good jarred sauces out there)

put the whole mess in the oven at 350 til bubbling, then add a layer of grated cheese, and crack a bunch of eggs over the top an put back in a slight warmer oven til set.

we served it with a dried chili salsa and some avocado and radishes.

it was kind of trashy and cheesy, but that's what i generally look for in a brunch food.

This is so easy it is embarrassing, but my ten year old can make it and people love it.

Butter a 9x12 baking dish. Crumble and saute one pound of pork breakfast sausage (like Jimmy Dean). Set aside. Tear into one inch-ish pieces a loaf of french bread and put into buttered pan. Toss in one of those bags of shredded sharp cheddar cheese (I think they are two cups) and the cooled sausages, combine well. In a seperate bowl beat eight eggs with one cup of milk; add a few dashes of hot sauce, some salt and pepper. Pour egg mixture over bread mixture. Cover tightly with foil. Refridgerate overnight (I have cooked it the same morning- just let the eggs soak into the bread). Bake at 350 until knife comes out clean (I think about an hour but check on it after 45 min.).

Good luck and good for you for teaching him.

:cool:

Don't know what part of the country you are from, but even yankees are amazed and appreciative of this recipe for sausage cheese grits casserole:

Get up a little early, pop it in the oven, and let it go. I can't keep people out of it. Call it a polenta casserole if you like, and even use cooked polenta if you must be honest. No matter.

Modifications? I add about an eighth of a teaspoon of dried mustard, and do so on a regular basis. Something about dried mustard and cheddar does an amazing thing. Ham or bacon could be substituded for the sausage, if you like. Some diced green pepper, onion and mushroom have all been used in my household to keep things interesting. Heck, you could even toss a handfull of spinach in there if you are feeling frisky, or maybe garlic. Garlic/cheddar/onion make a very good seasoning mix, to my taste.

Other than that, I would think a quiche. Deep dish, in a springform, tall and full of lovely things. You have to mess around with the pastry though, and it would be a bit trickier than the dump and bake casserole. All depends upon your taste, and what you like.

Good luck.

OK, I just printed this one off. Along with your modifications. That would be a great SuperBowl day breakfast while we are running around getting everything else ready. Thank you!

Chilaquiles. Any good Mexican cookbook should have several recipes. It's ubiquitous at breakfast buffets in Mexico, and extremely easy.

Some recipes will add chicken or other meat, but for breakfast, I just like them plain.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Other than that, I would think a quiche. Deep dish, in a springform, tall and full of lovely things. You have to mess around with the pastry though, and it would be a bit trickier than the dump and bake casserole. All depends upon your taste, and what y :biggrin: ou like.

Good luck.

OK, I just printed this one off. Along with your modifications. That would be a great SuperBowl day breakfast while we are running around getting everything else ready. Thank you!

No problem. It does make a great breakfast for a crowd.

Put on a pot of coffee, and have fun. Say hi to the guy for me, and bon apetit.

Annecros, grits are very trendy (in NYC right now, at any rate) so no need to pass as polenta. This casserole sounds great.

Annecros, grits are very trendy (in NYC right now, at any rate) so no need to pass as polenta. This casserole sounds great.

Good info to have and thanks for the update. Will inform my brother next time I see him. It is really an old recipe. An oldie but a goodie, as they say.

I love it!

edit: I have a very impressive collection of Martha White cookbooks. Some older than I am. They are my go to when I want something good, wholesome and homey. I also use the rolled dumpling recipe from a MW cookbook, and a fantastic sour cream pound cake recipe from these books. Sort of like a countrified King Arthur. Pillsbury bought them out about a decade ago, in order to compete in the Southern niche market. I am not sure what has happened with the company since Pillsbury sold out to General Foods, but I do know that Pillsbury kept most of it's shelf stable product line.

"MMM, MMM It's Good!"

Edited by annecros (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck.

I made this for breakfast Super Bowl Sunday. We both really, really liked it. I did add some dry mustard and will definately make again and try some other variations. I am having the last bit tonight for dinner with a fried egg and some toast. Thanks so much for posting!Country Grits Casserole

I recommend a strata - mix together a few eggs - maybe 6 or so - with some cream (maybe a cup or a little more).  Add a spoonful of dijon, some spices, maybe a teaspoon or so of salt...

Then line a casserole dish with sliced bread, top with half of  desired fillings, already cooked (I like chorizo, potato, onions, peppers, and cheese), then top with more bread, then the remaining fillings, then pour the egg mixture over the top.  Put it in the fridge overnight so the bread soaks up the egg, then bake.  Mmmm!

My family made this recipe for every Christmas, only "dumbed" down by just adding crumbed and browned Jimmy Dean sausage and plenty of grated cheese.

It remains a favorite part of holidays, especially when you want something to make ahead and just throw in the oven. Serve with some fruit, drinks of your choosing (think mimosas or bloody Marys)! Very easy and tasty.

"Anybody can make you enjoy the first bite of a dish, but only a real chef can make you enjoy the last.”

Francois Minot

I made this for breakfast Super Bowl Sunday.  We both really, really liked it.  I did add some dry mustard and will definately make again and try some other variations.  I am having the last bit tonight for dinner with a fried egg and some toast.  Thanks so much for posting!Country Grits Casserole

Glad it worked out for you. I will be making this again when my daughter comes home for spring break next month. There will be a lot more traffic through the house that first weekend. It's a bit much for me and hubby to finish off by ourselves, although I don't see any reason why it wouldn't freeze well.

a simple one if not quite a casserole, is to take all the ingredients of a full breakfast and slowly fry them in cooking order (sausage first, then mushrooms etc), then when everything comes together crack a couple of eggs into the pan (a non stick will help a lot here) the eggs should happily go around everything and you can turn the pan straight onto the plate, not great for large parties though unless you have a small army of omelette pans but very successful for a couple of you.

after all these years in a kitchen, I would have thought it would become 'just a job'

but not so, spending my time playing not working

www.e-senses.co.uk