• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anaheim / Disneyland Restaurant Recs

Muffin210

Chris Cognac and I were talking about Club 33 at Disneyland:

http://www.disneylandclub33.com/

Has anyone ever actually been inside? What's it like? Is anyone a member?

Are there other "secret" restaurants like this around that you've been to (or even just heard about)? If so, how did you get to be a member or extended an invitation? (I'm not talking about hidden trendy nightclubs and bars, but actual restaurants.)

There hasn't been much activity lately on the CA board (is it still the lingering effects of too much turkey?), but hopefully we'll get some input on this topic. I've always thought it would be pretty cool to check out Club 33, but I don't know anyone who's a member!

I was there years ago for a media party. (I was still in advertising.) It was quite nice, but it's been so long that I can't remember details or even which publishing company threw the party. I must say though that it wasn't nearly as nice as sailing around Boston Harbor on the Highlander II with Malcolm Forbes. :wub:

edited to say that I meant I was at Club 33--not the Japanese place.

Edited by Maison Rustique (log)

Deb

Liberty, MO

I was there about a dozen years ago, a guest of a member. Back then only members could get in and guests had to be accompanied by a member. By all accounts, the ability to get it can now be auctioned off on eBay.

When I was there, they had just started a really cool water/fireworks show on Tom Sawyer's Island. Being in Club 33, we were absolutely guaranteed the BEST vantage point for the show. (This was when the dragon from Fantasia was recreated in fireworks -- very, very cool).

The interior then was rather posh red velvet, circa 1880 bordello. The food was surprisingly good then. I remember the most exquisitely constructed petit fours on the dessert buffet, all decorated with Disneyesque characters.

Another one to add to your members-only list, however, would be the Magic Castle. Isn't it still members only or has it gone public?

Edited by Carolyn Tillie (log)

I think Magic Castle is still members only. I haven't been in a million years. I don't remember the food as being anything but ordinary but that's not really why you go, right?

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Well I have eaten at the Magic Castle on a number of occasions and while hardly exceptional, I have certainly had worse food in similar establishments. The Sunday buffet is like most other Sunday buffets on a scale with those that have a carving station, a chocolate display, an omelet bar, etc. The regular dinner menu is a bit high priced but the real attraction is the Houdini Seance, upstairs.

12 of your closest friends have a sit down dinner of five courses (give or take). It is funny that the part of the meal I remember was a fruit plate that included sliced star fruit and lychees -- surprisingly innovative considering it was almost 8 years ago. After the meal, there is a "seance" to call the spirit of Houdini -- he is the 13th guest. Kinda fun in a campy sort of way.

I miss the Castle. No, I didn't go there for the food, but the drinks are great and the atmosphere cannot be surpassed!

Well I have eaten at the Magic Castle on a number of occasions and while hardly exceptional, I have certainly had worse food in similar establishments.

I'd second that. I've been there twice before and the food is not memorable. However, you don't go there for the food, so the magic makes up for it!

My brother has been to Club 33. He was very impressed with the food and the fine dining experience. Very chi-chi. When he was there, they had a buffet with lobster tails.

I believe it is the only place within Disneyland that serves alcohol. You have to be a member or be a guest of a member in order to dine there. There's a waiting list to become a member and I've heard through second-hand (or third-hand) info that the membership fee is something like five thousand a year. :shock: Of course, a lot of major companies are members as well as some political big wigs, too.

The elevator entrance to Club 33 is just down the "street" from the entrance to the Pirates of the Caribbean restaurant, the Blue Bayou.

Whatta ya know...Here's an unofficial website dedicated to Club 33...with photos, too!

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I've been to Club 33 several years ago at a family event. My cousin was getting married and invited the wedding party to dinner the night before. The food was quite good, the atmosphere rather like a bordello as Carolyn Tillie mentioned. I've always wanted to go to the Magic Castle, but haven't had a chance to go. Not a place I'd go for the food, but more for the overall feel and the magic being showed there.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

By all accounts, the ability to get it can now be auctioned off on eBay.

I attended a friend's retirement party a couple years back; had Club 33's wonderful buffet lunch.

Because it was a company membership, a company representative (authorized manager) had to pick up the passes at guest services, the day of the lunch.

Private members have to pick up theirs.

The manager didn't dine with us, but I doubt it would be worth someones time, let alone risking their job or membership, to pick up and hand off passes.

I would be very leary of any "Club 33 passes" being sold on eBay.

For Bangkok eats, check out my Cheap Eats Bangkok

• 3 months later...

eGads... you are going to a Natural Foods expo and I'm sorry to say that there isn't really any decent places to eat within walking distance. But if shouldn't you be getting your fill of Natural Foods at the show? The whole area is somewhat nightmarish with McD's and Burger Kings and KFCs...

There's a fairly famous restaurant around the corner on Harbor called Belisles. It has steadfastly preserved a 50s family restaurant atmosphere. Their distinction is copious amounts of food for not too much money. Whatever you do, don't eat there.

--

ID

--

There's a fairly famous restaurant around the corner on Harbor called Belisles. It has steadfastly preserved a 50s family restaurant atmosphere. Their distinction is copious amounts of food for not too much money. Whatever you do, don't eat there.

:laugh: I'll second that one!! Someone took me there the first time I was in Anaheim. :wacko:

Deb

Liberty, MO

I forgot the Natural Foods expo is coming up. I wonder if our friend Michelle is coming out from Kentucky. I'll have to give her a call. Anyway, you're in a tough spot if your are limited to walking distance. Will you be visiting any other natural foods grocers in the area? Mother's is an institution of sorts and I always remember a mecca for my fellow employees from Squash Blossom. During the expo they always wanted to stop and check the place out. If you make it to Costa Mesa, make sure you DO NOT miss Native Foods. It's the best vegan around. Truly fantastic. Otherwise, maybe the Edensoy booth will keep you nourished. :raz:

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

:laugh: I'll second that one!! Someone took me there the first time I was in Anaheim. :wacko:

Yeah, that is how I got introduced to Anaheim as well, IIRC.

However, as someone pointed out here (andiesenji) Belisles is now closed. Anyway, I don't know if there was such a thing as a quick lunch at Belisle's. :wink:

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

• 3 months later...

Are there any local restaurants you recommend within walking distance from main entrance to DL? We don't have access to a car but would like to eat properly without resorting to big chain fast food. We have a 2yo with an 45 min attention span.

TIA, Keith

Are there any local restaurants you recommend within walking distance from main entrance to DL? We don't have access to a car but would like to eat properly without resorting to big chain fast food. We have a 2yo with an 45 min attention span.

TIA, Keith

THIS is a good start. Mostly on Harbor which I beleive is where the main gate is located.

HERE is a few more mostly on Katella.

Have fun,

Bob

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

Here's the challenge -- the "main" entrance to Disneyland is surrounded by an ocean of parking. If you're already in the park, I don't know why you'd want to walk across that vast expanse to stuff that's not so great. If you don't want to eat at the park, there are two options. First, we've often taken the monorail over to the hotel area and eaten there. It gets you out of the high noise, high energy environment of the park and gives you a chance to sit down and catch your breath. Or, you can head over to Disney's California Adventure. Either way, your money still goes to the mouse but . . .

So long and thanks for all the fish.

TIA, Keith

Have you looked at the Downtown Disney Restaurants? Naples & Catal would be good, and are still kid-oriented. They may be park concessions, but with Patina Group doing the food, it's quite good.

With kids in mind,.....

Outside the resort, Marri's, at Katella and Walnut (SW corner of the park), does good pizza/Italian.

They will also deliver to area hotels.

There are various family restaurant chains on Harbor, across the street from the parks.

Mimi's, at the north end, near Howard Johson's, is a good breakfast spot.

In Downtown Disney, the Rainforest Cafe will have plenty to occupy a short attention span.

I've never been, but I've heard good things about Tortilla Joe's.

Downtown Disney is accessible from the Monorail.

Although not dining "destinations", these places offer more than burgers and fries:

In Disneyland, Pizza Port, in Tomorrowland, has some variety (pizza, pasta and salads).

The French Market, New Orleans Square, isn't too bad.

Rancho de Zocalo, Frontierland, has a following, with a variety of Mexican dishes.

In California Adventure, Pacific Wharf Cafe offers soups, salads and "deli" sandwiches.

If you decide to give in to a junkfood Jones, try a smoked turkey leg, or corn dog from one of the carts.

The turkey legs will feed 2 and the corn dogs have a huge following (my favorite corn dog).

The Corn Dog Truck:

dog.jpg

Edited by Stupid_American (log)

For Bangkok eats, check out my Cheap Eats Bangkok