• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anaheim / Disneyland Restaurant Recs

Muffin210

The "main" entrance I meant is the pedestrian entrance (from hotel info), sorry for the confusion.

Thanks for the replies, I will keep them in mind. We'll probably be eating outside of DL as he'll be napping in hotel in the afternoon.

Keith

The "main" entrance I meant is the pedestrian entrance (from hotel info), sorry for the confusion.

Thanks for the replies, I will keep them in mind. We'll probably be eating outside of DL as he'll be napping in hotel in the afternoon.

Keith

My map, Disney Perimeter Hotels, will show you where your hotel is located, relative to that entrance.

There are a couple outdated features, but the hotels are correct.

For Bangkok eats, check out my Cheap Eats Bangkok

I spent five days in Disneyland, and the place we kept returning to was in New Orlean town. Or whatever you call it. Didn't hurt that Pirates of the Carribean was nearby.

It was either the French Market or the Cafe Orleans. The beef stew was the best food we found in the park, and it was slightly off the beaten path, so it was quiet (well, as quiet as Disneyland gets!). Seem to recall the jambalaya being good, too.

Neither are fancy restaurants, but they were good values, and a big step up from hot dogs and churros.

No idea about CA Adventures. I live here! Why would I go to a themepark about where I live? It would just disappoint me once I got home...

isn't there a wine related restaurant in california adventure??

Thanks, all for the suggestions.

The Vineyard Room, at Disney's California Adventure, is only open for dinner Friday to Sunday. (I'm going to dinner at Napa Rose, at the Grand Californian).

There's a more casual Bistro near The Vineyard Room, but I don't believe it's open anymore. There's only fast food available now at DCA.

Another option is to go to Ralph Brennan's at Downtown Disney, but this may take too much time out of our busy day. We're going to Catal, at Downtown Disney, the day before for lunch.

Looks like I'll have to find fast food at DCA - we'll be there at lunchtime and won't want to walk all the way over to Disneyland for lunch.

I'm not sure I've ever heard of someone planning their meals at D'land before. Fun.

Anyway, you've got plenty of good meals already planned, grab a hot dog, a pepsi, and a churro....when in rome....

isn't there a wine related restaurant in california adventure??

Looks like I'll have to find fast food at DCA - we'll be there at lunchtime and won't want to walk all the way over to Disneyland for lunch.

Pacific Wharf Cafe isn't too bad.

They put chowders in great Boudin sourdough bread bowls.

You can also opt for a salad in said bowl.

If you're a fan, DCA does good corn dogs.

In the Grand Californian, there's also Whitewater Snacks.

They do pretty good sandwiches and such.

Be sure to take in Tower of Terror after lunch! :wacko:

I go to a two-day seminar every year at the Disneyland Hotel. Catal has always been very good, both the outside Uva Bar and the inside more formal restaurant, but it was taken over by private parties the last two years we were there. Last year, we tried to get into Napa Rose, and they were full. We were able to make a nice dinner out of some very good appetizers in the bar, where no reservations are needed. They also had live music. We had been to Brennan's Jazz Kitchen 3 or 4 years, and thought it was so bad we vowed not to return. This year, we decided to give another try, and I thought it was even worse than before.

The Vineyard was run by the Robert Mondavi folks when it opened, and we had a really good and very interesting meal there about 3 or 4 years ago. However, I think Mondavi pulled out after a short time, and we haven't been back.

Pacific Wharf Cafe isn't too bad.

They put chowders in great Boudin sourdough bread bowls.

You can also opt for a salad in said bowl.

Ah, yes, it's all coming back. The place (whichever it is) in New Orleans town also offered the beef stew in a sourdough bread bowl. That was what made it fantastic. And the bread bowls really were amazing. One would not think Disneyland would have great bread, but it really tasted as though it had been recently baked...

• 4 months later...

Just yesterday we had the pleasure of dining @ Club 33 and spending a day at the Magic Kingdom with our kids.

The "secret" door is just down the way from Pirates of the Caribbean, on the little New Orleans/Mardi Gras street. There is a little gold latch that you lift and then ring the doorbell. The hostess then opens the door and leads you inside. It's all very ornate and velvet-covered. Lots of dark wood and black iron. We then boarded the "lift" and very ceremoniously raised to the 2nd floor.

The dining room is posh and full of tall curtains and formally-set tables. We sat in a beautiful spot in the furthest corner, overlooking Tom Sawyer Island & New Orleans square. Later, our waiter informed us that this was Mrs. Disney's table and my little daughter was sitting in her chair. She was thrilled, to say the least. The waiter also told us that the one time Michael Jackson came in, he also sat in the same chair...

There is a buffet for lunch with an accompanying main course. The buffet consisted of cracked crab, lobster tails, jumbo (gigantor) shrimp, seared tuna, a variety of cheeses, and about four different salads. Very nice choices.

For entrees we ordered the Halibut w/ Lobster. Halibut was cooked nicely... tender and mild. Lobster was pretty dry. The lobster at the buffet was much better. The other entree was the Pasta done 3 different ways: Cream sauce, Pesto sauce and Bolognese sauce (which was nothing like a Bolognese). I would compare the pasta entree to something you'd find at an Olive Garden.

The kids had the "Mickey-roni & Cheese" - $46 a pop! (drinks not included). Granted, they had access to the buffet, but they just didn't understand the lure of crab, lobster, giant shrimp or tuna when they could eat Mickey Mouse shaped pasta...

Dessert was also buffet style. They seemed like selections that might have come from a "main" dessert kitchen somewhere in the park. Included were cheesecakes, torte/spongecakes, little glass cups of chocolate pudding, blueberry/lemon trifle, etc.

And of course, we took advantage of being able to order from the bar...

raquel

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe -Roy Batty

Dined there a few years back with a work associate.

Pacific Bell / SBC is a corporate member.

The buffet was great!

Served some of the best roast lamb I have ever had.

Disney desserts are fantastic too.

It is a members only proposition.

Anyone offering to sell a "pass", will have to accompany you.

For the same, or better, view of Fantasmic, you can reserve a dessert buffet seat in the balcony adjacent to the Disney Gallery.

It runs about $50 and must be booked a month before your visit at 08:00 sharp; it books in minutes!

• 2 months later...

Aloha! What did you like to eat there (in the Park/hotels/nearby area). I have not been in

10 years so any information would be great! a hui hou :smile:

Oh my....I just read the title.....Any been.....should say Anyone Been Recently......Must be

this bronchitis is now affecting my ability to type :sad:

Edited by oneidaone (log)

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

We were there in Nov., right before Thanksgiving. The Bengal BBQ serves some pretty good BBQ chicken on a skewer with asparagus spears. The Dole Whips are a really great, in front of the Tiki Room.

We did dine at Blue Bayou and had a waterfront table. It's really all about the ambiance here, but one of the better places to dine in the park. Make ressies by calling Dine Disney well in advance for this place.

I would recommend the Storyteller's Cafe at the Grand Californian for their breakfast buffet. It's great food and a few of the characters walk around for photo shoots, lots of fun.

I really want to try Napa Rose at the Grand Californian and will plan for a dinner there next time we visit the park. Have fun! :)

I go to the Disneyland Hotel every year for a two-day, work-related seminar thing. It's not the place to go for food, but I've had some good meals. Napa Rose is very good, and expensive, and you need reservations ahead, at least in the warmer months. Without reservations, you can eat in the bar, where they have live music, a nice setting and a good list of fairly expensive small plates. Everything I have had there has been very good. Catal is probably my favorite place in Downtown Disney. We've had maybe 4 or 5 dinners there, and all have been good to excellent. The more informal Uva bar outside it is a very nice place for more good, casual food if it's warm. I have tried Brennan's Jazz Kitchen twice, several years apart, and it was really awful both times.

Edited for typos.

Edited by Carlsbad (log)

Aloha! Thanks so far for your replies! Unfortunately the Blue Bayou will be closed in May :sad:

We did enjoy a nice lunch for my mom's 70th (our reason for the last trip). I appreciate your

time and keep the info. coming! A hui hou! :wink:

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

I agree that Brennens stinks....Most of the food around Disney is not very good, but the atmosphere is neat...There is a place in the California Adventure park that serves wine and what appeared to be some decent pasta...

and you know what...the corn dogs are pretty darn good as well.....as good as a 5 dollar corn dog can be..

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

Disney food pretty much sucks, but that's okay. It's fun eating around the park and since I never expect much anyway, I'm never really dissapointed. The corn dogs are indeed good though. The cornmeal coating is fresh, and taken to a dark roasted brown color. Not too bad, and a great re-fueler at the "Happiest Place on Earth". Also, who can resist a churro? The pizza place in Downtown Disney isn't too bad. I think that's a Joachim Splichal property, isn't it? I know he has Catal, the outside bar, and Tortilla Joe's. That is, the company he ended up selling off does and I think his name is still on most of the menus.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

• 1 month later...

Heading down to Anaheim tomorrow and will be staying across the street from Disenyland. Like to get some solid food suggestions over there. We'll be spending a lot of time at Disneyland, so would like to dine closed by. We'll have a car but prefer places within a few miles and not having to go on the freeway.

As for cuisince, prices, etc., we're not picky. Just want good food.

TIA :raz: