• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

London Indian Restaurants

Anyone got any recommendations for Southall - whenever we go there we always seem to end up at Giftos.

Giftos is fine but I would like to know if anyone rates any of the other restaurants there. There are lots of them! I don't mind a different cuisine from Giftos.

Cheers,

Harry

Memories of India on Gloucester Road is reliable and pretty good (though the service is heartbreakingly slow, so you'll need to formulate a story about how you're in a hurry), and I second Haandi.

I don't think Masala Zone is that great.

I second Tayyab's.

Also, I know some people here don't like it, but I've only ever had amazing food at Rasoi (Vineet Bhatia) and the lunch menu isn't that expensive, it's also close to Harrod's. The chef is also often kind enough to come out and talk to you and guide you through the food.

Edited by gingerbeer (log)

Memories of India on Gloucester Road is reliable and pretty good (though the service is heartbreakingly slow, so you'll need to formulate a story about how you're in a hurry), and I second Haandi.

I don't think Masala Zone is that great.

I second Tayyab's.

Also, I know some people here don't like it, but I've only ever had amazing food at Rasoi (Vineet Bhatia) and the lunch menu isn't that expensive, it's also close to Harrod's.

Thanks for the recommendations (agreed about Tayyab!), but I'm specifically interested in Southall. I'm meeting some friends there tonight - so it's going to be hard to get back into town.

Cheers,

Harry

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Can anyone recommend authentic Indian Restaurants in Kent?

the indian princess is good by any normal standards, but perfectly extraordinary for margate...

http://www.theindianprincess.co.uk/

Wow!! What a find. Perfectly extraordinary. You are so right!! Simply Kent’s best kept secret and must say, how the hell did they end up in Margate??

I have just come back from my trip to The Indian Princess in Margate and I will definitely be returning for lunch, dinner and anything else they are offering!! This chef is simply genius!! It’s worth traveling a distance to visit this restaurant if you’re passionate about food.

Its authentic, different, modern, wonderful food served by wonderful staff.

I was greeted at the door, taken to my seat and quickly served a complimentary drink and pre starter whilst I was looking through the menu. It was quickly obvious this is no ordinary restaurant. I enjoyed Tiger prawns marinated with ginger, rosemary on bed of garlic potato mash and for the main Gressingham duck on the most amazing orange sauce. Then cinnamon poached pears to finish the meal. As well as the fantastic meal which I really couldn’t fault and trust me, I am fussy. I was also surprised with small flavorsome courses in-between each course to tantalize my taste buds. The food is subtlety spiced and the portions perfect. It was an altogether perfect meal and wonderful dining experience.

The waiter informed me the chef does cooking demonstrations on Sundays in the restaurant whilst serving six course meals so I would be interested to see this and I have already booked my next visit to take my most fussy food friend to experience there 18 course sampler taste sensation advertised on there website and man I cannot wait!!!

I’m sure it won’t be long before we see these guys in the Michelin guide book.

The chef has cooking demonstrations on youtube so I will be trying some of them out myself when I get some time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPHinTNiUXs&feature=related

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks so much for the YouTube link.  I'll definitely be making the Butter Chicken soon!

Other videos from Dev Biswal the chef and master mind behind The Indian Princess as follows : -

Indian Princess Starter Sea Bass South Indian Style

Indian Princess Rice Pudding Dessert

He has also started a blog. I found this interesting reading. Gives you a glimpse of life as a restaurant owner and the challenges they face. I think this guy should be commended for what he is doing in Margate.

http://www.blogger.com/profile/16497195268494139000

• 11 months later...

Hey there...this thread has been a bit slow lately, so I thought I'd bump it. So, have any must-eats emerged over the past year? I'm specifically interested in South Indian food, and even more specifically I'd love to find a fantastic bhel puri.

In addition, I'll be staying in Crouch End, so any great general-purpose curry house up that way would be great to hear about....

Any info is appreciated....

Thanks!

mark

• 4 years later...

Now, of course, Stockport is 200 miles north west of London, so may be a bit far for folks wanting recommendations in the capital.

I've been to Aamchi Mumbai a couple of times. Food is good but there are service issues as I mention in this review, posted to another board  - http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/983454#9082377

We're fortunate in North Cheshire in having two places offering this sort of tiffin/street food type dishes. The other, literally round the corner from Aamchi, is the Indian Tiffin Room. Possibly the better of the two - http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/991630#9226183

And then, only a few minutes drive away in Cheadle Hulme is Seven Spices - http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/989414#9190643

Best of the rest in the south of the metro area would be Dilli in Altrincham and Murghli in Rusholme. Both offering "proper" menus, rather than the "any protein with any sauce" gloop of the high street curry house.

John Hartley

A few places I currently enjoy in London, all very different:

- Dosa n Chutny in Tooting - south Indian, very bare-bones, brightly lit, be prepared for fiery spice

- The Painted Heron in Chelsea - upscale with various cuisines represented, lovely food and atmosphere

- Dishoom in Shoreditch - a take on a classic Bombay cafe in a hipster hood, lovely rajma and pau bhaji

[edited to spell Dosa n Chutny the way they actually spell it]

Edited by patrickamory (log)
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

where can i go to get good indian food in london? I'm not looking for anything fancy.

I love chana masala, butter chicken, sag paneer, nan and chutneys. We are staying near Harrods.

I would  DEFINITELY recommend you to go to Tayyabs in London. It's the best Indian restaurant in London, hands down .Their food is amazing and authentic and they know how to really spice it up  ... I always wanted to become a chef in ethnic cuisine, especially asian specialities, I may start working for them soon. I went there with two of my friends and we never looked for any other restaurant again.  Bwlow  are some  pictures of some of their dishes 

Edited by food_lover85 (log)

• 2 weeks later...

I can think of several London places that offer better food than Tayyabs. Trishna and Moti Mahal spring to mind, as does Tangawizi in Twickenham. Tayyabs' day has long faded.

John Hartley