• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Alton Brown Hits The Sauce

eje

Is the stress of Iron Chef America driving Alton Brown to drink?

First we had an episode where he investigated and explored Egg Nog and bourbon, ("School of Hard Nogs"). Now a whole episode dedicated to cocktails!

The recent, "Raising the Bar," features cocktail history, bar ware, mixing technique, and recipes for Martinis, Daiquiris, and of course, Mint Juleps. Oh, and some pretty twisted ice abuse.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Nah, the ice loved it. It's just that way.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Do wish his caption folk had gotten the high ball and the old fashioned labelled correctly... his labels in the intro to the glassware indicated that an old fashioned was tall and a high ball was short... but then in the julep segment he gets the ID right... sloppy captioning.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

Do wish his caption folk had gotten the high ball and the old fashioned labelled correctly... his labels in the intro to the glassware indicated that an old fashioned  was tall and a high ball was short... but then in the julep segment he gets the ID right... sloppy captioning.

Yeah, noticed that too.

Also, some pretty bad technique stirring the martini*, a julep strainer is supposed to go inside the shaker, and, boy he really pulverized the mint for that julep.

Loved the opening:

AB's Dad, "How was school today, sport?"

AB, "Well, I got beat up again."

AB's Dad, "Well, that's just fine."

AB's Dad heads straight to the bar to mix a pitcher of Martinis.

Maybe that explains the hostility towards the ice...

*Whose preparation was a bit dry for my taste. But, hey! At least he made a point of using Gin! And the "rinse the ice cubes with vermouth" seems like a better dry martini technique than the "rinse the glass with vermouth" that some bartenders use.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

One of the waitresses at work today was just asking me if I'd seen this episode. I might have to tape it on rerun 2/3/06.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol