• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Palayok: Filipino Clay Pot

I have been eating Phillipine food recently at a couple of restaurants and am interested in ordering a traditional Palayok clay pot. Does anyone know of an internet source?

I've never seen them for sale, even at Filipino grocery stores. You might want to ask the restaurants you've been frequenting where they get theirs (they probably bring them in from the Phil.), and if they'd be willing to sell you one.

If that fails, find a Filipino friend who'll be visiting the Phil. soon, and ask them to pick one up for you. I might be going in the spring, so I could do it (but would be sending it to you from Japan).

Richard, a Google search produced the website for a Filipino store in Los Angeles called Tatak Pilipino that sells all manner of goods from the Philippines. As you can see from the main page of their kitchenware section, they used to sell traditional clay pots. Unfortunately, it seems that they no longer have them listed as part of their online inventory. However, there are 1-800 Customer Service numbers provided; perhaps you could give them a call and see if they either have any in stock at their store or could special order a set of palayok for you.

Good luck!

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

There has been a lot of interest in our clay pots lately.

If you get to buy any, ask for the black pots. They are far more durable than the red ones and will last for generations if you are careful with them.

Black pots you say? I have been collecting Columbian La Chamba and it wouldn't hurt my feelings to find some more black pottery. Do you have any clue where one can buy them?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I will stop at the Phillipine grocery in lancaster on my way home from work and see if John can get them. He has special ordered things for me in the past and I will see if he knows where to find them.

A treatise on the Palayok.

One like this

Or like this?

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Wow, andie. Those are cool links. I don't know which ones I want. Wait, that is easy. I want one of each. :biggrin: They are really elegant. Black ones, terra cotta ones . . . The shapes are wonderful.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Richard, a Google search produced the website for a Filipino store in Los Angeles called Tatak Pilipino that sells all manner of goods from the Philippines.  As you can see from the main page of their kitchenware section, they used to sell traditional clay pots.  Unfortunately, it seems that they no longer have them listed as part of their online inventory.  However, there are 1-800 Customer Service numbers provided; perhaps you could give them a call and see if they either have any in stock at their store or could special order a set of palayok for you.

Good luck!

Yes, this is the source that the owner of the restaurant Palayok suggested. The pots are no longer on their webite, and I called and confiremd that they no longer carry them and know of no other source. I have an email query in to another site. I'll let you know what I turn up, and look forward to seeing what Andie or anyone else find out.

I did a rather extensive google search today and made some phone calls. I am also coming up zilch. This is very curious. I do know that imports of clay pots and other ceramics have to go through analysis for lead and such. Perhaps the manufacturers have not been willing to do that. I am just guessing. But not being able to find such a seemingly pervasive piece of equipment from an important cuisine kind of boggles the mind.

edit to add: A search of the FDA site hasn't turned up any recalls or seizures of clay pots from the Philippines. I searched the archive.

Edited by fifi (log)

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

But not being able to find such a seemingly pervasive piece of equipment from an important cuisine kind of boggles the mind.

Fifi, where are you? Important cuisine? I am not sure if I should laugh or what, hehehe! Filipino cuisine is at the bottom of the totem pole in American consciousness, from what I've heard.

This discussion is drawing out my obsessive-compulsive tendencies. Let me know the replies to your queries. I'll try to find out from the manufacturers here if there's any possibility of shipping.

I do know that imports of clay pots and other ceramics have to go through analysis for lead and such. Perhaps the manufacturers have not been willing to do that.

Most probably. Clay pot makers are artisans with no financial backing. To have their products go through analysis would be too expensive.

Richard, did they tell you why they don't carry the pots anymore? Too few orders? Expensive shipping? Hmmm...

Those pots really are pretty! I especially like the ones in Andie's second link.

Fifi, I thought lead was most likely to be in the glaze, therefore not an issue for an unglazed pot. Should I be testing my Egyptian pots (one, anyway) for lead?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown