• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bad Customer

Mano

A few days after recieving my Ph.D. my wife and I went out to an upscale restaurant to celebrate. We had an early reservation and the place had only a few patrons. The maitre d' greeted us with "Welcome Mr. Smith, I'll show you to your table." I cooly informed him, "It's Dr. Smith." He graciously corrected himself and then sat us at the worst table in the establishment.

After we were seated I appologized to my wife and told her the moment it came out of my mouth I knew I was being a horses patoot. The rest of the dinner was excellent and laughed that that evening my graduate education was completed, as I'd learned my lesson.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

A few days after recieving my Ph.D. my wife and I went out to an upscale restaurant to celebrate.  We had an early reservation and the place had only a few patrons.  The maitre d' greeted us with "Welcome Mr. Smith, I'll show you to your table."  I cooly informed him, "It's Dr. Smith."  He graciously corrected himself and then sat us at the worst table in the establishment. 

After we were seated I appologized to my wife and told her the moment it came out of my mouth I knew I was being a horses patoot.  The rest of the dinner was excellent and laughed that that evening my graduate education was completed, as I'd learned my lesson.

First: congratulations, Dr. Mano! A lot of hard work. Where did you eat, what did you eat? You earned that Dr., and the fact that you and your wife laughed about this episode is pretty cool. Did you feel like the lousy table was your punishment? :laugh::laugh:

My husband's training partner (for marathons) held a PhD in English Literature. He used to make reservations under "Dr. Jones" and always got a great table. And no, I never personally saw him asked to help out with a heart attack patient.

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

FFB,

The incident took place some 17 years ago in Long Beach, CA. The restaurant name was the address, something like 222. I do recall having sweetbreads for the first time and loving them.

As a prep cook and waiter, during my grad school days, I was always told doctors were demanding diners and lousy tippers. That was never my experience, but I wonder if the title influences where they're seated.

BTW, thank you for your lone response to this thread. Without it, I would've felt very bad and lonely.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

mano, i wanted to respond to this thread sooner than now because it was a breath of fresh air, but i haven't had the time until now.

i've read a hundred threads here on eG and on many other boards where people have been horribly! unforgivably! wronged! by the horrifying! degrading! dehumanizing! treatment in their local establishments. of course they're never the problem. their attitude is never an issue. it must, of course, invariably be the restaurant's problem.

naturally, there's a bit of both going on in the world. but for once it's nice to see someone admitting that they were the ass.

anyway, good story. thanks.

OK, OK, I'll cop to it. I've been stared down by people who knew me at a deli. Yes, I was. My F.E.H. traveled to Deal, NJ to accompany me as a guest at my father's wedding. I warned him, but he was American all the way, and he forgot. (He was born Jewish, but very assimilated). We were in a Kosher deli, I whispered "there's no dairy, remember" for the umpteenth time that day, and he said "I KNOW!" and promptly ordered a ham sandwich. Well, after the ruckus wore down of everyone laughing, he explained to me why... ham isn't dairy. :wacko:

edited to add this: I know you won't believe this, but he also tried to order turkey and Swiss a few days later: his explanation? Turkey is not MEAT. :wink:

Edited by Rebecca263 (log)

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

. . . . .

. . .  Turkey is not MEAT. :wink:

Well . . . I would agree to that! :biggrin:

Actually, I am trying to remember when I did something assinine. I am sure I have. I am rather outspoken but also very attentive to the niceties. But we all know that the devil on the left shoulder must sometimes win. Maybe we blot out those memories.

I will keep digging.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

My one shining faux paux was during a nice dinner at 'One If By Land' in NYC. Before I get to my indiscretion, the restaurant occupies the space originally built as a carriage house. The upper 'loft' has a wrought iron railing, and the diners in that area can gaze contentedly upon the heads of the diners below.

After being seated in the loft area the waiter approached to take our drink order. I'm quite certain I said I wasn't having wine - and instead of removing my wine glass, the waiter moved it off to the side of the table. I failed to notice this action, and the next time I turned, my elbow grazed the glass. Yes. Tip. Fall. Shatter. Raining shards of glass upon the table and diners directly below. In the slow motion that time had become I could hear the staff converging on the table below and asking 'Dr. Bernard' (yes, the famous Dr. Bernard [rip]) if he was unscathed (he was, as was the rest of his party). Dinner could not come quickly enough for me that evening - I bolted through the meal and made a hasty (and appreciated, surely) retreat.

Edited by bjones9942 (log)
No one can be exactly like me. Even I have trouble doing it. - T. Bankhead

This thread is too funny! I wish I had a contribution.... I'm sure I do...

"Anybody can make you enjoy the first bite of a dish, but only a real chef can make you enjoy the last.”

Francois Minot