• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Daisy Cooks! on PBS with Daisy Martinez

Rachel Perlow

Here I am nearly a year later and I JUST made the sofrito recipe today.

And it was quite accidental...I was in a local supermarket's produce section and what do I see? Culantro (recao)! I couldn't believe it. I thought my eyes were deceiving me.

So I hurriedly put some into my cart along with cubanelle peppers, tomatoes, garlic, cilantro and decided that today's the day for sofrito. I couldn't find the ajices dulces though. The peppers I saw in the supermarket looked identical to ajicitos, but they were very spicy/hot (I tasted them in store just to make sure). So I didn't get them.

At any rate, I made the sofrito this morning, froze it into ice cube trays and it smells wonderful! I can't wait to try it the next time I cook some rice.

I just love Daisy I have made many of her recipes. NJN reruns her show at 2:30am its went I get insomnia I love watching it, but it makes me very hungry.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

• 2 weeks later...

I am also a huge Daisy fan. I have made many of the recipes, all with glowing success (less about my cooking and more about Daisy and her cookbook, I'm sure). I now keep a big batch of Sofrito in my freezer in half-cup increments and use it any time I make a pot of beans or rice.

As an aside, not only is she a beautiful woman, she seems geniune. After watching her show a couple of times, I just had to email her (I'm not the fan-mail writing type and can count on two fingers the number of celebrities I've written to -- and the other was in 4th grade). Within a couple of weeks, she responded with a wonderful, personal email. OK -- maybe I was duped by an assistant who responds for her, but somehow I don't think so. She just seems so real. If I could dine with a celebrity chef (or cooking show host), she would be number one on my list. She just seems like she would be so much fun.

"I come from a family where gravy is considered a beverage." -- Erma Bombeck

I made her empanadas this past week. They were crazy good, I made a bunch extra for a to sell at a swim meet. They flew off the table.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

• 2 weeks later...

I've been watching her for a while and have her book, I think she's refreshing, honest and makes some excellent food, she has one of the few cooking shows that I go out of my way to find and watch, besides AB of course...

• 8 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I really hope she hasn't dumbed-down her TV cooking.

Internet blurb on 'Viva Daisy!' . . .

"Daisy Martinez shares her tips and tricks from creating quick, simple home cooked meals".

There was nothing quick and simple about 'Daisy Cooks'. Semi-exotic ingredients and techniques is what made the show so compelling.

Edited by D. B. Brown (log)

It was pretty good before, but my cooking has improved quite a bit since discovering Daisy a few months ago...

The magic Achiote oil alone is mostly responsible I think!

Tonight I made Arroz con Pollo using Achiote oil and it was ultra beautiful and ultra delicious...

My wife said she couldn't stop eating it...

Damn if it didn't seem restaurant quality...

The quick, canned, 'welcome to my kitchen' intro is kinda perky, but the rest of each show she's quite sweet, funny, and down to earth...

Nothing like the supremely unwatchable (for me) Rachael Ray...

So take that back! :-)

Edited by Mild Bill (log)

I used to love watching that show! I normally watch alot of the PBS cooking shows though, they are quite good in general. (I think i might be the only one here that does not have the food network.)

Daisy does not come on anymore where I am or maybe it is and I just don't know when. I learnt alot about latin cuisine from that show.

• 3 months later...

Daisy was on NBC's "Today" show this morning in a cooking segment (skirt steak). She and Matt Lauer discussed her new show, "Viva Daisy!" on the Food network.

According to her show's page on the FoodTV web site, there are only 6 episodes for the series. :blink: Six episodes? Is the Food network afraid of commitment?

Has anyone seen "Viva Daisy!"?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I've been watching it but there hasn't been a new one in a few weeks. Not sure if she has run through her 6 shows.

The camera shots and format are pure FN, the food is a little more mainstream than Daisy Cooks but her personality is pure Daisy.

Daisy was on NBC's "Today" show this morning in a cooking segment (skirt steak). She and Matt Lauer discussed her new show, "Viva Daisy!" on the Food network.

According to her show's page on the FoodTV web site, there are only 6 episodes for the series.  :blink:  Six episodes? Is the Food network afraid of commitment?

I haven't, although I would love to, because I loved her on PBS. Unfortunately, on DirecTV, at least in my market, it's on at like 4:30 in the morning on a weekend day. Sorry, I wouldn't get up for the second coming at that hour on a weekend.

As far as the 6 episodes, that seems to be FTV's new business model. It seems that Anne Burrell's show only had 6 episodes when she started, same with the new Jamie Oliver. And I seem to remember that the "winners" of the competition to be the next FTV, erm, *star*, only get a 6-show deal.

I guess they figure that's the attention span of their audience. Or of their executives :wink: .

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"