• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

L'Os A Moelle

lesanglierrouge

Last night I dined at a restaurant in the 15th arrondissement called L'Os a Moelle (corner of Vasco de Gama and rue de Lourmel). The food was outsdtanding. They offered a four-course tasting menu for 38 eur with a choice of two or more plates with each course.

We started with a chilled, frothy cream of mushroom soup with Bayonne ham and croutons, followed by a fillet of sole with creamy whipped potatoes, a nice demi-glace and then garnished with veal marrow and shaved black truffle. Then came a grilled venison tenderloin with braised endive and chestnuts. Dessert was roasted pineapple with almonds and a ginger sorbet and some sort of sabayon-like sauce. The wine was also incredible (their wine bar is just accross the street).

I don't know how well known the restaurant is or Chef Thierry Faucher, but it was the best dining experience I have had in my month in Paris.

Last night I dined at a restaurant in the 15th arrondissement called L'Os a Moelle (corner of Vasco de Gama and rue de Lourmel). The food was outsdtanding. They offered a four-course tasting menu for 38 eur with a choice of two or more plates with each course.

We started with a chilled, frothy cream of mushroom soup with Bayonne ham and croutons, followed by a fillet of sole with creamy whipped potatoes, a nice demi-glace and then garnished with veal marrow and  shaved black truffle. Then came a grilled venison tenderloin with braised endive and chestnuts. Dessert was roasted pineapple with almonds and a ginger sorbet and some sort of sabayon-like sauce. The wine was also incredible (their wine bar is just accross the street).

I don't know how well known the restaurant is or Chef Thierry Faucher, but it was the best dining experience I have had in my month in Paris.

I am glad to see that l'os a moelle is still striving.I have not been there for while ,

actually la cave de l'os ,across the street is a bistrot a vins.a very decent place for table d'hote and a wine of one's choice surrounded by new friends.

I am glad to see that L'Os et Moelle is still performing admirably. When I lived in paris, 1996-1999, it was one of my favorite spots. It was always one of the best values for the money and interesting to find out that Thierry has opened a bar à vins across the way. Its location (being in a quiet residential end of the 15th has always kept it more low profile, but the food is consistently great and there are always intriguing pairings. This is where I first had the opportunity to taste cervelles de veau.

I love the blackboard menu and the format of soup, small middle course (often fish), then plat principal followed by dessert. The four of five times I visited, the only choice to be was for dessert and I am glad to see that there are more options now, but was never disappointed.

Bon app!

Edited by Jack Rose (log)

it was the best dining experience I have had in my month in Paris.

Wow, that's quite a damning observation. Do you care to amplify on the bad ones so we can avoid them.

PS. I've always liked L'Os.....

I would place most of the blame on myself for not doing my homework, however most of my dining experiences have been less than impressive. Since I have begun doing more research I have had considerably better experiences.

L'Os is one of those places that I've been meaning to go to for years but never seem to quite manage it - either I've tried to book but they're full or we've ended up going to familiar and trusted places like La Regalade or Chez Michel.

How busy was the restaurant the night you were there? Did you have to book far in advance?

PS

Edinburgh

• 2 years later...
My ecstatic response to L'Os and its kid brother across the street is here. It has been confirmed on more than one occasion.

Are there any recent updates? Anyone been recently?

I went there last july.ITs an excellent rapport qualite/prix.ITs honnest ,quite tasty and plenty full.No fireworks if you have high expectations

I went there last july.ITs an excellent rapport qualite/prix.ITs honnest ,quite tasty and plenty full.No fireworks if you have high expectations

I went a few months ago, and have the same opinion about l'Os à Moëlle. It's good food for the price (36EUR, 5 courses, IIRC), but I wasn't blown away at all. Soups were great, I had some good wild boar (my girlfriend scallops were OK, nothing spectacular about their quality or the execution), but desserts stood out by being quite mediocre, at least that's what we thought.