• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oh dear it's V day

I know I know it's not like the 14th of Feb creeps up unexpected-like, but I've only just got round to trying to find a table for two somewhere nice that WON'T have a special rip-off Valentine's menu. But not more than £50-£60 a head because I'm still waiting for some invoices to be paid.

Have called Racine, La Trompette and Andrew Edmunds. First 2 full, AE only takes bookings a week in advance, and the advice was "call at 10 a.m. on the 7th and keep pressing the redial button - we'll be full within the hour."

Any suggestions??

Sarah

Sarah

We're staying in! Who in their right minds goes out on Valentines' night and pays over the odds and through the nose for a product that was at least 50% cheaper the night before? Madness, I tell ye, pure madness.

interesting dilemna. I agree with other posters that I don't want to go out on Valentines. For the first time ever I am actually going to be with my partner of seven years on V-day but suddenly thought couldn't stand the thought of a restaurant.

but if you spend your life in kitchens you don't want to cook for yourself!

So how about one of these places that offer to deliver special meals - has anyone found a good one of them? We have a service called Break Bread which does great meals delivered to your door - local sourcing, freshly cooked etc.