• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Checking your receipts:$102.13 for 2 Tomatoes?

I go grocery shopping every Saturday, half a dozen stores and 4 hours later I'm finished. I rarely encounter mistakes.

I can think of only once in the last 6 months that the cashier has made a mistake. The problem was corrected, no muss-no fuss, no drama.

One thing that helps is that my grocery list on my PDA, so I have a running total and know what to expect. And before the PDA I kept track of the total on paper.

I've had more problems at hardware stores than grocery stores.

My husband was once charged for 22 one-gallon bottles of milk, instead of 2. He'd bought a lot of groceries, and tho he thought the total a bit high, he didnt take time to review the reciept. The reciept-checker at the door to the club-store caught it.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.