• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jello Shots

McAuliflower

Not sure if the fresh citrus juice would react with the gelatin and keep it from solidifying.  I know that pineapple and mango have certain enzymes that keep gelatin from setting, but I'm not sure about citrus.

Citrus is fine. The other fruit I know of with gelatin dissolving powers, in addition to those you've already listed, is kiwi.

and raw papaya... I've seen a bunch of recipe for mango mousse that use gelatin so that may be okay.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

and raw papaya...  I've seen a bunch of recipe for mango mousse that use gelatin so that may be okay.

Not sure if mangos are OK.

I know I've had cakes made with mango gelatin filling.

However, this page indicates the following fruits are bad for jello, "kiwi fruit, papayas, pineapple, peaches, mangos, guavas, and figs."

It may be that the mango used wasn't fresh.

I have read that these enzymes are very heat or cold sensitive, and can be rendered inactive with a quick trip to the freezer or on the stove.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

and raw papaya...  I've seen a bunch of recipe for mango mousse that use gelatin so that may be okay.

Not sure if mangos are OK.

I know I've had cakes made with mango gelatin filling.

However, this page indicates the following fruits are bad for jello, "kiwi fruit, papayas, pineapple, peaches, mangos, guavas, and figs."

It may be that the mango used wasn't fresh.

I have read that these enzymes are very heat or cold sensitive, and can be rendered inactive with a quick trip to the freezer or on the stove.

Didn't know about the kiwis, but I don't really like kiwi so I guess it wouldn't have hit my radar screen.

Sure you can, you just need to use a lot of Jello. I've had Jello shots made with all vodka, which is usually 60% water anyway. Just to be sure, last night before bed I mixed several tablespoons of very hot vodka with a good tablespoon cherry jello. I checked in the fridge this morning, and I had a fully set jello shot. So, absolutely you can do it with 80 proof spirits.

They taste too strong this way though. I like to use 1/2 boiling water and 1/2 booze. You can have more of them this way. The too strong ones go down too easily and end up with too many guests vying for the floor space in front of the toilet. :blink:

Please report back all experiments and results! I like the idea of maybe using some unflavored gelatin and making the flavorings more natural.

Something about adulterating boxed Jello with booze that's appealing though... :smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Sure you can, you just need to use a lot of Jello. I've had Jello shots made with all vodka, which is usually 60% water anyway. Just to be sure, last night before bed I mixed several tablespoons of very hot vodka with a good tablespoon cherry jello. I checked in the fridge this morning, and I had a fully set jello shot. So, absolutely you can do it with 80 proof spirits.

They taste too strong this way though.

Sure, I agree. I was just pointing out that it would work.

Now if you'll excuse me, it has just occurred to me that it is 8PM friday night, and I am fresh out of vodka, my familiar spirit, as well as the rum and whiskey I bought for holiday cooking. Off to the store I go :smile: !

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

A young reporter I work with told me her favorite jello shot is orange jello made with half water, half orange-flavored vodka, and in each shot is a mandarin orange segment which has been soaked in the vodka.

Edited by TrishCT (log)

I've never been a fan of jello shots (mostly because I'm not a fan of jello, period), but those of you who are might want to check this out:

Jiggelo

Who'd have thought there'd be a book on jello shots?

A young reporter I work with told me her favorite jello shot is orange jello made with half water, half orange-flavored vodka, and in each shot is a mandarin orange segment which has been soaked in the vodka.

OK - now you're gettin' all fancy on me! Wow. That's a lot of effort for a jello shot, which I sort of think of as a low-rent diversion that's fun at parties.

My brain is working on making real cocktail jello shots with Knox unflavored gelatin. Maybe unflavored gelatin made with half boiling water and the half of liquid that's left proportioned out like the cocktail recipe. Let's say 2/3 cup of gin and the last 1/3 of a cup being evenly divided between fresh lemon juice and maraschino liqueur. Voila! Aviation shots!

Could this work? :hmmm: I'd test this theory but I can't get Maraschino here in PA. :angry: I might have to do a little road tripping to work this one out.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I'd test this theory but I can't get Maraschino here in PA.

Katie,

It is a speciality item. Several months ago we went to the big IKEA store and than drove down the road towards Conshohocken. At what I believe was the Plymouth shopping center the speciality store had it on the shelf. I have not checked it recently to see the stock levels. The guy at my local store got it in for me from another store. I did not have to SLO it

Uh oh, wrong again. I just checked and it now IS a SLO. Should have know better that to think the Aphrodite Of Alcohol would not be on top of this. This is bad news as we love the stuff. I have about 1/2 a bottle left, I better start looking.

Edited for stupidity

Edited by lancastermike (log)

My very first eGullet reply; I'm nervous for some reason. JELLO SHOTS: I was surfing around looking for cocktail trends, trying to see what the upcoming EcoBoomers might be inclined to drink, besides the Cosmo, which has been a trend for more than a decade! Anyway, Cosmo Jello Shots might be a fun sell! Thanks! If anyone has ideas about bev, beer, wine and spirit trends for 2006, please reply! Meanwhile, I think I am suppossed to start a new subject?

I was surfing around looking for cocktail trends, trying to see what the upcoming EcoBoomers might be inclined to drink, besides the Cosmo, which has been a trend for more than a decade!  Anyway, Cosmo Jello Shots might be a fun sell!  Thanks!  If anyone has ideas about bev, beer, wine and spirit trends for 2006, please reply!  Meanwhile, I think I am suppossed to start a new subject?

Welcome click HERE for the "Cocktail and Liquor Trends for 2006, What are your predictions?" thread

• 3 months later...

The other Jello thread got me clicking through...wow, this thread brings back many memories. We camp a lot at a state park...which doesn't allow alcohol. Undaunted, we make quarts of booze laden Jello, and serve up our grownup dessert. No clinking bottles, no evidence...just some harmless cherry Jello, mister park ranger. Makes those late night camping card games even more fun. I serve it in tiny bowls (TINY!) with a spoon, and a shot of whipped cream.

For parties, another way to shoot it, instead of pouring it and letting it set in the mini cups, is to pour it in something wide and shallow (I did this for a barbecue once, for over 100 shots with a jelly roll pan) cut it into shooty-sized cubes, and distribute them among the disposable shot glasses. They slide right down.

I think, this weekend, I'm gonna try the lime/tequila/grand mariner combo, margaritas are my favorite casual drink...

The other Jello thread got me clicking through...wow, this thread brings back many memories.  We camp a lot at a state park...which doesn't allow alcohol.  Undaunted, we make quarts of booze laden Jello, and serve up our grownup dessert. No clinking bottles, no evidence...just some harmless cherry Jello, mister park ranger.  Makes those late night camping card games even more fun.  I serve it in tiny bowls (TINY!) with a spoon, and a shot of whipped cream. 

For parties, another way to shoot it, instead of pouring it and letting it set in the mini cups, is to pour it in something wide and shallow (I did this for a barbecue once, for over 100 shots with a jelly roll pan) cut it into shooty-sized cubes, and distribute them among the disposable shot glasses.  They slide right down.

I think, this weekend, I'm gonna try the lime/tequila/grand mariner combo, margaritas are my favorite casual drink...

:laugh: I like the way you think and your resourcefulness for the camping trips. Brilliant!

When you do the margarita shots just make sure you proportion out the tequila, lime juice and Grand Marnier the same way you would for a non-gelatin version of the drink. For what it's worth, I'd buy the Gran Gala (less expensive version of Grand Marnier that tastes virtually the same) for this particular application. The flavor of the jello will mask the finer points of Grand Marnier so it isn't really worth $40 a bottle for jello shots IMO.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Yeah, I was gonna try it with some basic triple sec, first. Grand Mariner is triple sec....just really fancy. Fancy and lime Jello...not quite. I didn't think of adding the actual lime juice...that's a fine idea.

Yeah, I was gonna try it with some basic triple sec, first.  Grand Mariner is triple sec....just really fancy.  Fancy and lime Jello...not quite.  I didn't think of adding the actual lime juice...that's a fine idea.

Actually, Cointreau is the very best triple sec known to man, distilled from sweet and bitter orange peels. Grand Marnier is sweeter and has vanilla and Cognac in the base as well as getting some oak ageing. The cheap triple sec is both less flavorful and less viscous in a drink and usually a LOT sweeter. Adding Grand Marnier to a margarita usually makes it what's called a "Golden Margarita" and the flavor profile is slightly altered (for the better in my opinion). If you want that really good flavor of a Golden Margarita then use the Gran Gala instead of cheap triple sec. If you don't care, then use regular triple sec. If you want really intense flavor you can also use Luxardo Triplum which is very similar to Cointreau but like the Gran Gala, a bit less expensive than the high end and better known product it mimics.

A little bit of actual lime juice added to the jello dials back the sweetness a bit and makes it tastes more like a real margarita.

Obviously, I've done this a few times... :laugh:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

My brain is working on making real cocktail jello shots with Knox unflavored gelatin.  Maybe unflavored gelatin made with half boiling water and the half of liquid that's left proportioned out like the cocktail recipe.  Let's say 2/3 cup of gin and the last 1/3 of a cup being evenly divided between fresh lemon juice and maraschino liqueur.  Voila!  Aviation shots!

Could this work?  :hmmm:  I'd test this theory but I can't get Maraschino here in PA.  :angry:  I might have to do a little road tripping to work this one out.

Katie,

Now you got some Maraschino have you tried this? I think I'm going to give it a go tonight. I'll report back later.

My brain is working on making real cocktail jello shots with Knox unflavored gelatin.  Maybe unflavored gelatin made with half boiling water and the half of liquid that's left proportioned out like the cocktail recipe.  Let's say 2/3 cup of gin and the last 1/3 of a cup being evenly divided between fresh lemon juice and maraschino liqueur.  Voila!  Aviation shots!

Could this work?  :hmmm:   I'd test this theory but I can't get Maraschino here in PA.  :angry:  I might have to do a little road tripping to work this one out.

Katie,

Now you got some Maraschino have you tried this? I think I'm going to give it a go tonight. I'll report back later.

I haven't tried this. I only had a small amount of Maraschino and I used it to create cocktail recipes rather than Jello shots. I need to actually order and purchase a whole bottle to have enough to screw around with this way.

Please do report back! I want to know if I'm as clever as I think I am. :laugh:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I haven't tried this.  I only had a small amount of Maraschino and I used it to create cocktail recipes rather than Jello shots.  I need to actually order and purchase a whole bottle to have enough to screw around with this way.

Please do report back!  I want to know if I'm as clever as I think I am. :laugh:

Had to resist the urge to take jelly shots this morning before coming in to work :raz: , but here's what I have sitting in the fridge for tonight:

Aviation Jelly Shot

2 oz Gin (Plymouth)

1/2 oz Maraschino (Luxardo)

1/2 oz Lemon Juice

1 tsp Creme de Violette

1oz Simple Syrup (Gary suggests using 1/3 as much water as the sum of the rest to compensate for the water you would normally get from ice meltage and to make jelly shots sweeter than you would for a cocktail.)

1 pk gelatin (Knox, 7.4 grams, 225 bloom)

Pisco Punch Jelly Shot

2 oz Pisco (Santiago Queirolo)

3/4 oz Pineapple Syrup

1 oz Lemon Juice

1 oz Water

1 pk gelatin(Knox, 7.4 grams, 225 bloom)

Also made Gary's Margarita Jelly Shot since it's 5/5.

Yeah, I was gonna try it with some basic triple sec, first.  Grand Mariner is triple sec....just really fancy.  Fancy and lime Jello...not quite.  I didn't think of adding the actual lime juice...that's a fine idea.

Actually, Cointreau is the very best triple sec known to man, distilled from sweet and bitter orange peels. Grand Marnier is sweeter and has vanilla and Cognac in the base as well as getting some oak ageing. The cheap triple sec is both less flavorful and less viscous in a drink and usually a LOT sweeter. Adding Grand Marnier to a margarita usually makes it what's called a "Golden Margarita" and the flavor profile is slightly altered (for the better in my opinion). If you want that really good flavor of a Golden Margarita then use the Gran Gala instead of cheap triple sec. If you don't care, then use regular triple sec. If you want really intense flavor you can also use Luxardo Triplum which is very similar to Cointreau but like the Gran Gala, a bit less expensive than the high end and better known product it mimics.

A little bit of actual lime juice added to the jello dials back the sweetness a bit and makes it tastes more like a real margarita.

Obviously, I've done this a few times... :laugh:

I learned something, today...

Belatedly reporting back on the jelly shots, both of the recipes I originally posted didn't set firm enough. Both were tasty but required a spoon. Especially the Pisco ones as I tried putting pieces of pineapple in the jelly. I got the aviation jelly shots to work with this revised recipe (same consistency as Margarita Jelly Shots in Gary's Joy of Mixology):

Aviation Jelly Shot v1.2

2 oz Gin (Plymouth)

3/4 oz Maraschino (Luxardo)

3/4 oz Lemon Juice

1 oz Creme de Violette

1oz Simple Syrup

1 pk gelatin (Knox, 7.4 grams, 225 bloom)

I thought it tasted great but most were expecting it to taste sweet and were surprised by the tartness and strong gin after taste. I'll definitely do this again for a party but it lacks the refreshing quality that I normally look for when having an aviation.