• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jello Shots

McAuliflower

I hate the jiggly stuff, but this technique would make wicked jello shots!!

Oh dear, i think I need to be held back!

OMG! you are so right! I'm throwing a huge party in 2 weeks.....I might have to make some of those! Anyone know who sells some cool looking disposable containers I can make them in? There's going to be about 100 people there so I have to have disposable.

edited to add: I've only tried jello shots, never made them. Any tips or recipes who be wonderful! Thanks!

Edited by freddurf (log)

I've only tried jello shots, never made them.  Any tips or recipes who be wonderful!  Thanks!

Jello Shots Recipe, not on the Jell-O site, where only non-alcoholic Jell-O Shots exist.

I think they may be too small to really get a rainbow effect going. Perhaps just go with 1, 2, or 3 flavors. Or, just make individual flavors, and make the rainbow out of a variety of shots. That first link I gave above, has many flavor options.

Jello Shots Recipe, not on the Jell-O site, where only non-alcoholic Jell-O Shots exist.

I think they may be too small to really get a rainbow effect going. Perhaps just go with 1, 2, or 3 flavors. Or, just make individual flavors, and make the rainbow out of a variety of shots. That first link I gave above, has many flavor options.

You guys are the best! Thanks for the info. I'm gonna give it a "shot"

:rolleyes:

Actually many people in my office asked me if my rainbow jigglers were, indeed, jello shots.

I was sorry to disappoint them!

To address Rachel's point that the cups might be too small to get the full color spectrum, perhaps if you make them as I did in a full pan, and cut them into individual jigglers, they might work as "shots".

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Sorry to be so out of touch, everyone, but, ummm, what's a jello shot? Is it liquid? How do you drink it?

It's jello made with half water and half alcohol (such as rum or vodka). It sets and has the consistency of regular jello. It's either in little cups or cut in squares. Goes down easy....

Sorry to be so out of touch, everyone, but, ummm, what's a jello shot? Is it liquid? How do you drink it?

Flavored Jello made with booze instead of water.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

You can't substitute all booze for the water or I think they won't set up.

My personal favorite jello shots are the Margarita shots I've made out of lime jello, tequila and a splash of Grand Marnier. You can also make pretty good Madras shots by combining orange and cranberry jello and using vodka.

The best jello shots come from thinking like a bartender. :smile:

Back to your regularly scheduled discussion...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I forgot the Pina Colada jello shots made from Pineapple jello and coconut rum and Hairy Navels with Orange jello, vodka and peach schnapps.

I'm wondering now if I could make Mojito jello shots with Lime jello, rum and mint syrup?

My apologies for the thead hijack...

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

OMG! you are so right! I'm throwing a huge party in 2 weeks.....I might have to make some of those! Anyone know who sells some cool looking disposable containers I can make them in? There's going to be about 100 people there so I have to have disposable.

edited to add: I've only tried jello shots, never made them. Any tips or recipes who be wonderful! Thanks!

Where are you located? Smart and Final has these in the West..........

Where are you located? Smart and Final has these in the West..........

I'm in Kailua Kona, Hawaii. We have a hard time finding anything over here! I think I'll have to order from the source M.X.Hassett posted.

Actually many people in my office asked me if my rainbow jigglers were, indeed, jello shots.

I was sorry to disappoint them!

You know, for an all adult party, making the Rainbow mold with alcohol would be an interesting option. I wouldn't use even half alcohol, but I would suggest dissolving each package with 1 cup of boiling water instead of 1.25, then adding 1/4 cup alcohol once they have cooled down, but before dividing and adding the creamy.

~~~

In another website, one of those ones about jello shots, someone asked how to make white jello, like for red, white & blue on the Fourth of July. Either make Chinese Almond Gelatin (I don't have a recipe, but I see it at dim sum restaurants), or use Sparkling White Grape Jell-O, don't bother with the carbonated beverage, and use 3 Tbs vanilla yogurt or sour cream in place of some cold water.

Okay, so I'm guessing they are eaten with a spoon. Is that right? The jello isn't set so loosely that it slides into one's mouth from the cup?

(Sorry I keep interjecting with the same question, but this really has my curiosity aroused.)

Also, I love the idea of the mojito shots - they could be made with fresh lime juice and gelatin and would have a really wonderful flavor.

Eileen

Edited by etalanian (log)

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

Okay, so I'm guessing they are eaten with a spoon. Is that right? The jello isn't set so loosely that it slides into one's mouth from the cup?

How to eat a jello shot (from experience and reading some of the jello shot websites, one of which is linked, above)...

• - If it is in a small paper cup, like the kind that sit next to ketchup pumps at fast food restaurants, or that hospitals portion medications into, you hold it at your mouth and crush the cup so that the jello is consumed in one mouthful. That's they way I've always made and been served them.
    - If it is a Dixie Cup, they're too big and stiff for this to work. And, they are harder to work your tongue around too. Avoid using Dixie cups.
    - Small Solo brand plastic cups, like the kind take out Chinese joints package the good mustard in, or salad dressing on the side from the deli, etc. The one ounce size is more appropriate for jello shots, the two ounce size can work, but it is a larger portion. Some areas of the country serve these with a toothpick, you run the pick around the edge to loosen the jello, then use your tongue to pry it out. Experts insist that the sexiest way for a bimbo to eat a jello shot is to loosen it with your tongue to consume (w/out help from pick). Additional benefits to using a small plastic Solo cup is that you can spray them with Pam to make extraction easier, and you can put on a lid if you have to transport them.

(Sorry I keep interjecting with the same question, but this really has my curiosity aroused.)

Also, I love the idea of the mojito shots - they could be made with fresh lime juice and gelatin and would have a really wonderful flavor.

Eileen

I'm from the neck of the woods that uses the small Solo cups as used for dressings, mustard, etc. Jello is set up in the cup. Looks like regular jello. Holding the cup by the bottom, put the entire opening in your mouth, scoop your tongue under the jello and give a little slurp.

I guess that puts me in the sexy bimbo realm that Rachel refers to... :shock:

That's the alter ego of SweetSide :wink:

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

I forgot the Pina Colada jello shots made from Pineapple jello and coconut rum and Hairy Navels with Orange jello, vodka and peach schnapps.

I'm wondering now if I could make Mojito jello shots with Lime jello, rum and mint syrup?

My apologies for the thead hijack...

I can't consume alcohol myself, but I have made them with Midori melon liquer and lime jello and blackberry brandy with black cherry jello for parties.

Jello used to have white grape "champagne" flavor which was great for these mixes but it was discontinued a few years ago.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Eileen

Not sure if the fresh citrus juice would react with the gelatin and keep it from solidifying. I know that pineapple and mango have certain enzymes that keep gelatin from setting, but I'm not sure about citrus. Maybe just a little bit of fresh lime juice in place of some of the water would make the jello taste more like a real mojito.

I'd just use lime jello, white rum and some sort of mint syrup that would mix in completely and consistently. Actual muddled mint leaves would be too messy and leave inconsistent amounts of leaf in each serving. The Jello is sweet enough that it wouldn't need any extra sugar.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Eileen

Not sure if the fresh citrus juice would react with the gelatin and keep it from solidifying. I know that pineapple and mango have certain enzymes that keep gelatin from setting, but I'm not sure about citrus. Maybe just a little bit of fresh lime juice in place of some of the water would make the jello taste more like a real mojito.

I'd just use lime jello, white rum and some sort of mint syrup that would mix in completely and consistently. Actual muddled mint leaves would be too messy and leave inconsistent amounts of leaf in each serving. The Jello is sweet enough that it wouldn't need any extra sugar.

I've made orange gelatin (Knox unflavored gelatin and fresh orange juice) before with no problem. I've also seen recipes for key lime pie or mousse that gelatin. I'm pretty sure limes would be fine.

Thanks for the cool ideas, Katie. I might trymaking the mojito gelatin shots with Knox gelatin, rum, lime juice and mint syrup.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

You can't substitute all booze for the water or I think they won't set up

Sure you can, you just need to use a lot of Jello. I've had Jello shots made with all vodka, which is usually 60% water anyway. Just to be sure, last night before bed I mixed several tablespoons of very hot vodka with a good tablespoon cherry jello. I checked in the fridge this morning, and I had a fully set jello shot. So, absolutely you can do it with 80 proof spirits.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Not sure if the fresh citrus juice would react with the gelatin and keep it from solidifying.  I know that pineapple and mango have certain enzymes that keep gelatin from setting, but I'm not sure about citrus.

Citrus is fine. The other fruit I know of with gelatin dissolving powers, in addition to those you've already listed, is kiwi.

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA