• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Celebrating Chinese New Year in Kansas City

I just posted my favorite spots in K.C. to get authentic Chinese food. I hope this excites you all and I hope you find it useful!!

I review four restaurants:

1. Lucky Wok Chinese Restaurant (Overland Park)

2. Fortune Star (Overland Park)

3. New China King (Kansas City, Missouri)

4. Jen Jen's (Overland Park)

And briefly mention two others for specialties:

1. Blue Koi (Westport)

2. Genghis Khan (Westport and Boardwalk Square)

Gōng shee kwai luh!!

The Ulterior Epicure.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Hey, thanks! I love authentic Chinese food and will print that list to keep handy for the next time I'm in KC.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Jaymes: You're welcomed, I hope you do try to make it to some of these restaurants.

There are two things that I'd like to throw out to the forum. Does anyone out there know a reliable place to get Drunken Chicken (tzway jee)... I've had a very good one at Fortune Star a long time ago, but haven't tried it recently - but I've been disappointed at a number of other places... sigh...

Also, anyone know of a good Southeast Asian restaurant that serves a decent Singapore Noodles?

U.E.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Read through your list, but didn't see any dim sum. Is there any?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Read through your list, but didn't see any dim sum.  Is there any?

Unforunately not. I've had the dim sum at Bo Ling's many times (I believe exclusively served at the Plaza location)... and it hardly deserves to be mentioned as a footnote. I know that one of the restaurants I reviewed, New China King, has started dim sum service, but I have not yet tried it yet.

Any other eGulleters who have found good dim sum in K.C.?

U.E.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

• 1 year later...

Digging up an old thread to add a dim sum note......

I went to Bo Ling's (91st and Metcalf) for dim sum today, and I think it was the best selection and quality I've ever had there. They had all of the usual steamed/fried dumplings, buns, rolls (the tofu skin rolls were dynamite), etc., but I mainly wanted to mention a few items I had not tried before...... the stuffed mussels in black bean sauce were very good (mussels chopped with onions, veggies, then baked back in the shell), and I liked the beef tendon as well. But the star of the show, with the trip all by itself, was the stewed(?) pork tripe. Cooked perfectly so that the outside texture was somewhat similar to fried tofu skin, but very tender, then all soft and fatty pork goodness on the inside. The spicy chile sauce it was cooked in was oustanding. I'd go back just to have a double or triple order over steamed rice.

Anyway, that's it. July tripe-fest 2007.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

I went to Bo Ling's (91st and Metcalf) for dim sum today, and I think it was the best selection and quality I've ever had there.  They had all of the usual steamed/fried dumplings, buns, rolls (the tofu skin rolls were dynamite), etc.,  but I mainly wanted to mention a few items I had not tried before......  the stuffed mussels in black bean sauce were very good (mussels chopped with onions, veggies, then baked back in the shell), and I liked the beef tendon as well.  But the star of the show, with the trip all by itself, was the stewed(?) pork tripe.  Cooked perfectly so that the outside texture was somewhat similar to fried tofu skin, but very tender, then all soft and fatty pork goodness on the inside.  The spicy chile sauce it was cooked in was oustanding.  I'd go back just to have a double or triple order over steamed rice. 

Anyway, that's it.  July tripe-fest 2007.

I love it when you talk dirty to me like that! :raz:

Thanks for the update. I'm long overdue for some dim sum...

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Hmmm...blogspot can't find the blog link. Where is the Lucky Wok you mention? I have a Chinese friend whose family always goes to the Lucky Wok on 87th in Lenexa. I've had their seafood hotpot and beef noodles in black bean sauce that are excellent. Great, now I'm craving even more food from Kansas City. Can't wait to move back in December.

Hmmm...blogspot can't find the blog link.  Where is the Lucky Wok you mention?  I have a Chinese friend whose family always goes to the Lucky Wok on 87th in Lenexa.  I've had their seafood hotpot and beef noodles in black bean sauce that are excellent.  Great, now I'm craving even more food from Kansas City.  Can't wait to move back in December.

Sorry, here's the blog post that you're probably referring to.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I went to Bo Ling's (91st and Metcalf) for dim sum today, and I think it was the best selection and quality I've ever had there.  They had all of the usual steamed/fried dumplings, buns, rolls (the tofu skin rolls were dynamite), etc.,  but I mainly wanted to mention a few items I had not tried before......  the stuffed mussels in black bean sauce were very good (mussels chopped with onions, veggies, then baked back in the shell), and I liked the beef tendon as well.  But the star of the show, with the trip all by itself, was the stewed(?) pork tripe.  Cooked perfectly so that the outside texture was somewhat similar to fried tofu skin, but very tender, then all soft and fatty pork goodness on the inside.  The spicy chile sauce it was cooked in was oustanding.  I'd go back just to have a double or triple order over steamed rice. 

Anyway, that's it.  July tripe-fest 2007.

I love it when you talk dirty to me like that! :raz:

Thanks for the update. I'm long overdue for some dim sum...

I want to go for dim sum. I have been in withdrawal since our only dim sum place here closed.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!