• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Craving a Nice Piece of Tuna

waylman

So, who's got the best ahi? I was at Chambar not too long ago and had the tuna there...it was quite good, but nothing spectacular. In the summer I had the tuna at Fresco in Kelowna and it was phenomenal but I need a local joint for tasty tuna!

I love the tuna at Tapastree- it is served with a ponzu buerre blanc and chinese mustard-and the sauce just begs be mopped up with bread.

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

So, who's got the best ahi? I was at Chambar not too long ago and had the tuna there...it was quite good, but nothing spectacular. In the summer I had the tuna at Fresco in Kelowna and it was phenomenal but I need a local joint for tasty tuna!

I am getting kinda tired of tuna. Every place has the obligatory ahi tuna dish. :blink:

I am sure there are one or two other fish in the sea besides tuna and salmon, no? Thats why I like going to the Sandbar.

"Since when do you have to be hungry to eat?"

Give a man a fish and you’ll feed him for a day. Teach a man how to fish andhe’ll open up his own place right across the street from yours, steal your sous-chef, talk shit about you, haggle with suppliers, undercut your prices, kiss critics’ ass, steal your clients and you’ll eventually curse the day you taught him how to fish.

I'd also add that I've removed ahi from my personal dining list due to sustainability issue. It's being over fished. Nothing wrong with a nice piece of albacore however.

Currently, the smoked albacore at Cru is tops on my list.

A.

I am getting kinda tired of tuna. Every place has the obligatory ahi tuna dish. :blink:

I am sure there are one or two other fish in the sea besides tuna and salmon, no? Thats why I like going to the Sandbar.

You should try the Cannery too; and of course, there's always Joe Fortes.

I remember having an excellent ahi tuna dish (3 ways) at bin941 last summer. Their menus change often, so I'm not sure if it's still there.

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

You need to try Fish Cafe for swordfish,marlin,ling cod,trout,monkfish,mahi-mahi,ono,snapper and yes ahi tuna.

Marcus Stiller

Fish & Fish Cafe

www.fishcafe.ca

Ahi tuna is a stupid thing to crusade against. Choose a type of tuna, not a place when demanding quality tuna. Ahi refers to hawaiian tuna, any tuna that is caught around hawaii, or chosen to be called ahi. Simply put the choice to label ahi tuna is arbitrary. Rather search for bluefin from down under where there are farms. But to say ahi is not sustainable seems fashionable and not scientific.

See below for a list of all genus of tuna

http://www.fishbase.org/ComNames/CommonNameSearchList.php and search for for tuna

I'd also add that I've removed ahi from my personal dining list due to sustainability issue.  It's being over fished.  Nothing wrong with a nice piece of albacore however.

Currently, the smoked albacore at Cru is tops on my list.

A.

As we have just recently become an Oceanwise restaurant, I am still learning everday on sustainability and different catching practices. Definately a huge, ongoing practice. I may be wrong but albacore and ahi are in the same boat (excuse the pun) in regards to sustainability. It's the practice of how each is caught. Here is a LINK with more information. Hope this helps.

Now for the shameless plug :laugh:

Joes serves up Ahi 2 different ways; one simply grilled with chive beurre blanc and the other sesame crusted and served with a soy ginger glaze, along with wasabi mash potatoes. We also serve sesame crusted albacore at lunch.

Derek

Choose a type of tuna, not a place when demanding quality tuna. Ahi refers to hawaiian tuna, any tuna that is caught around hawaii, or chosen to be called ahi. Simply put the choice to label ahi tuna is arbitrary. Rather search for bluefin from down under where there are farms. But to say ahi is not sustainable seems fashionable and not scientific.

Point taken ... and I stand corrected. The link winegeek posted to the Monteray Bay web site is very informative. HERE is a direct link to their Seafood Guide.

A.

While I certainly don't care if I ever eat another piece of that icon of the late-80s, seared yellowfin (just open your mouth and say 'ahi') again, or that icon of the 90s, the tuna tower, I'll go out of my way for:

• Yoshi's maguro gomae at Bluewater. My daughters grew up on it at Yoshi's and hurry down to see Tabo San behind his horseshoe desk on Yaletown.

• Like Chris, I’m also a big fan of Sado's masochism at Octopus's Garden - from albacore dominoes to rolls to gomae

• Scott Kidd’s lightly smoked albacore with crème fraiche and chives. You can replicate it at home by cutting discs from Saltspring brand smoked albacore, and placing them between inexpensive chopsticks with a spoonful of crème fraiche and a strew of chives or diced scallions. Arrange the stix around a plate with the tuna facing inwards.

• The Italian canned (packed in oil) tuna at Epicurean and other Italian stores. The other day in a large supermarket, not one of the many brands of tuna was offered in oil.

• Tuna tartar at Japone

• Suntan tuna at Tojo's (red tuna wrapped in seaweed, served with plum sauce.

• Tuna sashimi with ranch dressing at Hapa.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"