• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Quick Cold Cuts Question:

Knicke

Only partially a "cooking" question, but I'm not sure where else to put it.

I'm headed up to the mountains for the weekend with a bunch of friends. As this is a working weekend (most of us are part of a band, and this is ostensibly "band camp"), we're not getting fancy or involved with the food. Riiight. Of course, I wouldn't be me if I didn't overthink it...

I've been asked to provide sandwich stuff for one meal: rolls, condiments, lettuce, deli meats and cheeses. Pretty painless, right? The staples of many a mediocre catered lunch...However, I rarely eat this stuff myself, so I have no idea how much meat/cheese I should buy per person. Some leftovers OK, but not too many, otherwise I'm going to have to give them away (they won't get eaten if they come home with me). I'll also bring crudites and dip, chips, and brownies for dessert - it won't be just the sandwiches.

Any guidance on how much meat/cheese I should plan for? Suggestions for the breakdown/varieties?

I also thought about making a soup or two - nothing too challenging for me or others (we'll have some non-picky foodies and some who are unknown to me regarding their pickiness and preferences). Overkill? Worthwhile? Suggestions for soups that are 1) not fiddly 2) don't take too many ingredients 3) appealing to many? I've been cooking for my adventurous self for so long, I don't trust myself not to weird folks out.

Edited by Knicke (log)

Nikki Hershberger

An oyster met an oyster

And they were oysters two.

Two oysters met two oysters

And they were oysters too.

Four oysters met a pint of milk

And they were oyster stew.

A good deli sandwich should have about 1/3 of a pound of filling - same usually for stuff like potato or mac salad....1/3 pound per person.

Easy soup creamy potato with bacon or cheese...or both :biggrin:

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

With cold cuts 1/4 lb is a lot. I'm thinking two sandwiches per band member, each with 3 oz of cold cuts and a one oz slice of cheese. If you're talking roast beef or turkey, maybe 1/4 lb per sandwich. To be on the safe side figure every other person will have a third sandwich.

Wild guess, but maybe 8 sandwiches per head of lettuce.

The salads, I'd guess maybe a quarter pound, maybe a little more per person.

If you do the soup one sandwich per person should be enough.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

With cold cuts 1/4 lb is a lot.  I'm thinking two sandwiches per band member, each with 3 oz of cold cuts and a one oz slice of cheese.  If you're talking roast beef or turkey, maybe 1/4 lb per sandwich.  To be on the safe side figure every other person will have a third sandwich.

Wild guess, but maybe 8 sandwiches per head of lettuce. 

The salads, I'd guess maybe a quarter pound, maybe a little more per person.

If you do the soup one sandwich per person should be enough.

For a good soup, how about a good old cream of tomato! Can't go wrong. For sandwiches, I would say 1/4 lb per person.

Thanks all! I was a little late in posting this, so I missed some of these helpful comments. However, this won't be the last time I'll need this information, so I'm filing it away...now. Thanks again for the assistance!

Nikki Hershberger

An oyster met an oyster

And they were oysters two.

Two oysters met two oysters

And they were oysters too.

Four oysters met a pint of milk

And they were oyster stew.