• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best way with monkfish?

helenas

Although i've heard that monkfish is delicious (poor man lobster, they say), i never tried to prepare it. For tonight dinner i'm thinking about some roasted fish on a bed of fingerlings and mushrooms with a green sauce. Is monkfish a good choice for this?

Any other ideas? Thanks.

There are no best ways as just about any way is good (though I think poaching not so great).

Roasting and grilling work wonderfully. As does slicing it up and throwing individual slices on a Korean barbecue (my first experience of monkfish).

The fingerlings and mushrooms and fish will all probably need different times though.

What kind of green sauce? Green how? Parsley? Thai curry?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Thanks, Jinmyo.

I was planning to start with roasting potatoes in a big cazuela (my latest obsession), then adding chanterelles (or shiitakes, that i've heard are good with monkfish) and fish for the last 15 minutes or so.

And yes, green like parsley-basil.

I love Lotte,

One of the most versitale fish because of it's texture and ability to stand up to many ingredients.

Be sure you or your fishmonger clean the fillet well,if the liiver is still attached, roast it with your fillet,it is a delicacy.also be sure you have the blood line removed that runs the lenght of your fillet.

Monkfish seems to love the flavors of the mediterranean, I like to blossom a bit of saffron if some evoo and cool then squeeze some fresh lemon juice,the saffron oil golden marjoram and S&P over the fillets.let sit in the fridge for a couple hours then wrap the fillets with pancetta and roast at 400 degree's until the pancetta is crisp. I serve this over a room temputure salad of canniloni beans,roma tomatoes,shaved fennel and roast garlic cloves dressed with a light black olive vinagrette and chive oil.

If you have time to make a mediterranean fish broth (like boulibasse) go for it..tremendous flavor and a little roulli and crostini served in a large soup terrine :)

Turnip Greens are Better than Nothing. Ask the people who have tried both.

Cazuela? That's a ceramic paella dish? For roasting. Interesting.

Sounds very nice. I think chanterelles would be nicer with this than shitake. More floral. Shitake and monkfish go well together but in a more Asian context because the shitake are "darker" (if you know what I mean) in flavour. Or a mixture.

Are you using butter or oil? I'd suggest a mixture of butter and evoo.

Let us know. (Take a picture. :wink: )

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

I was in Manhatten last week and had monkfish as my entree.

It sounds like it may be something similar to what you are looking for.

The fish was quickly oven roasted, sliced and served with fava beans, chanterels and a excellent garlic jus. You could substitute blue foot or hedgehog shrooms for the chanterels.

Just one idea to think about, But do look around the different forums to get ideas.

cc

Turnip Greens are Better than Nothing. Ask the people who have tried both.

CC, the saffron oil dish sounds wonderful.

The fish stands up well to a heavy perep hand.

Standard at the club:

A bed of rich garlic mashed (yukon Gold with with whole poached garlic in the cream mix)

top with julienne savoy cabbage with samewise vidalias and crisp pancetta gribenes. Cook the onions and cabbage in the pancetta fat.

Top with the monkfish dredged in a mix of good paprika, flour and fine white bread crumbs. Pan roast and place atop the cabbage mix.

Cordon a marchand de vin sauce made with roasted fumet.

Not better just different :smile:

Nick

Charlie Trotter brushes monkfish with mustard; wraps it in prosciutto; then wraps it in blanched mustard greens. Bakes the thing and serves with a red wine reduction. It's delish. As sounds CC's preparation. That said, if it's good fish, it'll be happy with little. D. says if he had a salamander, he'd use it with monkfish. Helena, if you'd like the Trotter recipe, or Nobu's recipe for the liver, PM me and I'll get them to you.

At our place we do Monkfish roasted and served on Cabbage and bacon , with noisete pots and a little butter sauce..and also wrapped in parma ham with olive oil mash and a light fish cream

Remember to take the membrane off thats under the skin.

oh yeah, we also deep fry it and serve with a cucumber and shallot salad with mint yoghurt :biggrin:

Both sound very nice, Basildog. I've often thought of deep-frying monkfish but haven't yet.

Basildog, you don't by chance deliver to NYC? :smile: When you visit, as I'm thinking of starting a bake sale to sponser your trip, you'll please allow me to introduce you to a few of our local fishermen, yes?