• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGullet Addiction: Is it setting in?

Sara, do I sense eGullet addiction setting in? If so, we have several support mechanisms available to help you get through it one day at a time.

Seriously, though, I wanted to tell you how much we all appreciate your participation in this eG Spotlight Conversation. And I wanted to ask you a question: having spent a week here, and having taken to it like a fish to water, what are your impressions of the eGullet Society and what we're doing in this online medium? As you are someone who has mastered most forms of traditional media, I'm curious as to your thoughts on new media.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Steven,

It is funny you should use that word, "addiction," because when I emailed Chris Amirault this morning to figure out when I will stop, I used that word about egullet too.

I have really enjoyed this experience because you all are so passionate, so knowledgeable and so nice (not true of other discussion boards I have seen). The only trouble is that it takes time to participate. As I told Chris this morning, my house is in shambles and my desk is piled high with letters and bills and all sorts of things I am supposed to be taking care of. Of course it doesn't help that I have had one of the busiest weeks at Gourmet ever.

Anyway, I think egullet a great way to communicate and learn. It reminds me of my live show, which someone once described as a town meeting. Every night we would have a topic and people called in with their thoughts. I learned a ton from the viewers.

Sara Moulton

Imagine the piles on my desk after more than four years of this. It's okay. Your real friends will stick with you. And if you just throw out the bills, they'll eventually get sent to you again.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Imagine the piles on my desk after more than four years of this. It's okay. Your real friends will stick with you. And if you just throw out the bills, they'll eventually get sent to you again.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

He's right, Sara. The spouse will stop standing at the office door shaking his head after a while. The part about the bills is certainly true. Now if the cats would just give up and stop walking on the keyboard, I could feed my addiction without interruption. They are far more persevering than humans (having fewer demands on their time, I suppose).

I hope you'll drop in whenever your schedule allows, though. It's been an enjoyable week. Thanks for your time and expertise.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

I may need to enter a 12-step program if I am to have any hope of getting Widener University faculty mentioned in the press. The trouble with life is it interferes too much with eG.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3