• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Portale or Leader: Mastering Traditional or Fancy?

I have wanted to ask you this, if you had to work for either of these distinguished CIA alum who both hail from blue collar Buffalo, whom would you choose? I'm sorry Sara, but somebody had to throw a knuckler (I'm also sorry about the baseball reference, but I'm a guy so that's the best I could come up with).

For those of you who don't know either of these two, Portale is the creative force who brings you Gotham in NYC, and godfather to the high food movement, and Daniel Leader bakes some of the best bread in North America in the best oven that I know which exists in North America. A simple Google search would tell you more.

I have never worked for either of them but I have had both of them on my show and I am a huge fan. Neither one has gotten a swelled head and decided that they are a terribly important celebrity chef. Dan is too much of a hippy for that and Alfred is just, well, too principled.

Sara Moulton