• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smoking Meat

Doc-G

@Kim Shook

Whoa ChuckWagon !

suprise.gif.583f850868d035be8bfa084df8b833b7.gif

just reviewing right now :

money-mouth.gif.d7b24c39d879dcae18b6f564194b1d4b.gif

Vastly impressed 

Kodos to KS or possibly

Mr. Kin :

my points :

198290198_PorkBlade.jpg.e23ff7dd628379497db06f231d26a1d8.jpg

that's the ' blade roast ' in the 7-bone hunk

tender and w full flavor 

612113496_PorkMM.jpg.f2b73cd8fe423d17032d9653401e8af7.jpg

in Competition BBQ

the Pork shoulder is  where the Money is

those 3 , actually 4  segmented Meat Tasty Bits

on the lower pic

are the Money Meat :

that's the tranche the competitors take to the judge 

for tateing

eExcellent Work

Mr. Kim !

just to review :

suprise.gif.583f850868d035be8bfa084df8b833b7.gif

money-mouth.gif.d7b24c39d879dcae18b6f564194b1d4b.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Interesting timing on this resuscitated thread, I've just started learning about charcoal grilling and smoking, first grill to start this weekend, and then I'll try smoking the following weekend.  One thing really bugging me about not-cold-smoking: am I going to actually like it?  Not sure.  I've learned I do not like texture of red meat beyond medium rare, and pork past medium.  I've had some braised meats, and while tasty, the texture has always been off-putting.  Is that what I will experience if I smoke 250-300F ?

Edited by jedovaty (log)

9 hours ago, jedovaty said:

Interesting timing on this resuscitated thread, I've just started learning about charcoal grilling and smoking, first grill to start this weekend, and then I'll try smoking the following weekend.  One thing really bugging me about not-cold-smoking: am I going to actually like it?  Not sure.  I've learned I do not like texture of red meat beyond medium rare, and pork past medium.  I've had some braised meats, and while tasty, the texture has always been off-putting.  Is that what I will experience if I smoke 250-300F ?

Its all in the choice of meat. Long hot smokes are suitable for tough cuts that need time to loosen-up. The same sorts of meat you'd braise.

To me a braised or smoked tough cut needs a sauce which hides the texture a bit.  But I agree, I don't like long-smoked meat as much as many do...largely because of the texture. 

FWIW, I get around the texture issue with pulled pork by cooking it sous vide. This is the juiciest most tender and not-overcooked pulled pork you can get.

I don't do much hot smoking.  I cold smoke then cook sous vide if I want smoked meat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, it's sous vide that opened up a whole world of not only improved textures, but also foods cooked to lower temps (and not necessarily via sous vide).  When reading about beef and pork smoking, I mostly see 250-300F temps, while cold smoking usually for fish and charcuterie.  I'll give it a go, setting up a long smoke @250 or so with a kettle seems to be "easy" with the snake method.  I'll look into cold smoking after this first step.  Wish me luck that I don't burn down the neighborhood 😲

• Like 2

On 9/9/2019 at 10:56 PM, jedovaty said:

Not sure how to respond.  Tough cut will not be enjoyable med rare.

There is is something magical that happens when you take a tough cut of meat and turn it in to something that will melt in your mouth.  But it ain’t med rare, just saying

edited to add sous vide does allow you to get tender meat at low temps.  But you loose some of the qualities which I take it you don’t enjoy

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

Not sure how to respond.  Tough cut will not be enjoyable med rare.

There is is something magical that happens when you take a tough cut of meat and turn it in to something that will melt in your mouth.  But it ain’t med rare, just saying

edited to add sous vide does allow you to get tender meat at low temps.  But you loose some of the qualities which I take it you don’t enjoy

Only one way to find out :)

ive done corned beef @ 140 F for 48 hrs.

chilled

then placed the cold pieces , saving the jus , on a cold Weber

that Ive then cold smoked for 1 hour with wood pellets in a wood pellet holder.

plenty smoky for me.

re-baged w a little bit of the cold jus ,k 2 - 3 T / bag , vacc'd and Fz.

makes an excellent smoked corn beef sandwich.

I dint know what to call 140 CB  that is very tender , in terms of done=ness

no bark , but so easy to do.

Edited by rotuts (log)