• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shrimp Heads, What to Use Them For

kelautz

Was pressed into service catering an event recently. Corner Chinese meat/fish market sells frozen farm raised shrimp $16.50 for 4 lb box, with heads. Three boxes later, I now have 2 1/2 lbs of lovely shrimp heads in my freezer, awaiting a suitable use.

Stock, obviously, but then good things to use the stock for might be...? Shrimp risotto, cioppino base, shrimp butter (rich stuff), shrimp bisque. That's the extent of my ideas. I need some inspiration for this icy shrimp-head treasure.

Would you make a rich stock, or a mild stock? How long will it keep in the freezer? Seems to me I dimly remember some fish glace from cooking school-wierd looking stuff but great for finishing sauces.

Help me out here, folks.

Thanks.

Most of the flavor comes from the brains. I believe I saw one Iron Chef where shrimp brain was the secret ingredient. Instead of making a stock, try scooping the brains out. Then you can put the brains directly into your risotto, bisque, etc.

My rec would be to make a shrimp essence. Something that can be used numerable ways. In addition to the mirepoix, add either tomato puree, or paste and water . reduce down, seive and freeze. This is a great base for almost any shrimp flavored preparation.

I would fry in copious amounts butter with some onions and garlic, add water and simmer for 20 minutes, then blend in a blender and run through a sieve. Let it stand and the shrimp butter should float to the top where you can collect it and mould it into discs, then the stock can be reduced and then frozen.

Spread the shrimp butter of toast and use the stock for soups.

PS: I am a guy.

Stock, obviously, but then good things to use the stock for might be...? Shrimp risotto, cioppino base, shrimp butter (rich stuff), shrimp bisque. That's the extent of my ideas. I need some inspiration for this icy shrimp-head treasure.

My (actually the Double Musky Inn) recipe for jambalaya calls for shrimp stock...

[/HOMER]Mmm... jambalaya[/END HOMER]

Sitting on the fence between gourmet and gourmand, I am probably leaning to the right...

Lyle P.

Redwood City, CA

Would you make a rich stock, or a mild stock? How long will it keep in the freezer? Seems to me I dimly remember some fish glace from cooking school-wierd looking stuff but great for finishing sauces.

Shrimp heads are the best part for making stock. You can get a bright red color instead of the brownish color from the body shells. Squeeze hard to get the essence out of the little craniums. A rich stock/fond means more concentrated, so if you plan to freeze it, it's more efficient (you can dilute). Shrimp stock keeps a very long time below 0 F. I use shrimp stock for bisque, shellfish risotto, gumbo, fish soups (like bouillabaisse), and shellfish sauces. I usually use shrimp stock-based sauces for crab dishes like crab imperial, crab/shrimp/scallop veloute, shellfish stews, etc. (I think shrimp stock is better than crab stock for many dishes). Like all stocks/fonds, don't salt it until you use it.

He who distinguishes the true savor of his food can never be a glutton; he who does not cannot be otherwise. --- Henry David Thoreau

Keep in mind, these heads have already been frozen once, and are certainly now frozen again, in a big block. (I was busy, or I might'a IQF'd them.)

Jambalyle, got a recipe you can share?

JayBassin, thanks for the tips. Maybe when the shrimp stock-blocks are nestled in the freezer, next to the chicken stock-blocks, seeing them will inspire me to make some of the dishes you suggest. I think your observation that shrimp stock is more useful than crab stock is a good one. Dungeness crab season is in full swing here. My household is in for a feast, real quick.

Shalmanese, I think I'll add a pound or so of butter to the stock, and make some butter, too.

And just for fun, I think I'll reduce some of the stock to a glace, which if I remember correctly, smells like a fishing village at low tide, but boy does a little dab of it add good flavor. That is, if my household will tolerate the aroma.

Will defrost the suckers tonight, and make stock/butter/glace tomorrow. Save a few heads for chips. then check back in with y'all. Thanks for the inspiration.

Jambalyle, got a recipe you can share?

Here is the website for the Double Musky. All of the restaurant's recipes are available online, though the last time I was on the site they were updating those pages. If it is still down, PM me and I will send along the recipe "off line".

-Lyle

PS: If you ever get to Alaska, you really should try the Double Musky!

Sitting on the fence between gourmet and gourmand, I am probably leaning to the right...

Lyle P.

Redwood City, CA