• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

CHOW Magazine on Print Hiatus

lizard

This just in from CHOW mag-

Looks like they're taking a "break" from the print medium. I do hope it's not a "break" like the kind that restaurants go on just before going out of business...

We are deeply grateful to you for your support of CHOW. We know that taking a chance on something new, especially something new and different, is not only a challenging decision for you professionally, but involves a personal risk as well. And for that we thank you and consider you a charter member of the CHOW family.

As such, we want to tell you about our immediate plans and changes to our publication schedule. We have decided to postpone publishing the magazine until we’ve built our new website and raised a second round of investment.

You may remember that we took some time after publishing our first issue to refine the magazine, plan our strategy, and talk to advertisers. That break paid off. We’re proud that Amazon.com named us the best new magazine of 2005. And Flavorpill put us on their list of “artists, trends and technologies that have already shaped the way we think in 2005, and will have still more impact in 2006 and beyond.”

We know that it took an open mind and an adventurous heart to be an early supporter of CHOW. We hope this print hiatus will not deter you. If there’s  anything we can do to help in any way, please let us know, because we want you to continue to be a part of CHOW, online and in print.

Sincerely,

Jane Goldman

Founder and editor-in-chief

• 1 month later...

I received an email from CHOW magazine this week. It's their first promised e-mail newsletter since they announced their publishing hiatus in January.

I have all 4 issues that they published and really enjoy this magazine.

Check out the newsletter.

I hope they do come back because the food magazine universe needs their kind of creativity and irreverance.

Pamela Fanstill aka "PamelaF"

• 1 month later...

Yes, actually both CHOW and Chowhound will now be under the auspices of the re-launched chow.com webspace, although they will be managed separately.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

• 2 weeks later...

They've always been a shoestring operation, and I for one, think there are a great many other magazines of a far superior quality. I wanted to enjoy it, after reading all of the advance press that they were something "new and different" (I was the very first to discuss them on egullet, actually soliciting a response from Jane Goldman , their editor, who created an account to respond) , but they turned out to be very ho-hum.

Edited by fresh_a (log)

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

I subscribed out of curiousity, but they've done a couple revamps. It's at the point now that it's a pleasant surprise when I actually get an issue, b/c I've forgottent that I'm actually a subscriber (this thread serves as my most recent reminder).

I've enjoyed the issues, but it's light reading- definitely not your serious, Savuer-type of food mag. Which I find a good thing. I wish them luck, but I think it'll be a tough go.

• 3 months later...

Chow Magazine is now back - in its new online format. Right now, the site is in "beta" and you need to be invited by Chow to log in and play around with the beta. I think that all Chowhound members got an invite, but maybe it was random. I haven't really looked into it at all.

Chow was acquired by CNET soon after the Chowhound acquisition. It looks like the two sites will be complimentary with Chow providing the editorial side of things and Chowhound providing the community side. Like any good web2.0 site, though, there are community features built into every article, recipe, etc (in the form of comments). The design of the two sites is very similar in terms of color usage, logotype, etc.

I never read the print version, but judging from the two-day old beta site, they're trying to strike a balance between high-end food and mainstream fare - wrapping it up with a young, hip feel. (In some ways, it kind of reminds me of the new Martha magazine, Blueprint, only about food instead of decorating). My first impression is that the content is a little dumbed-down but, again, I haven't dug very deep.

Anyone else have thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

Now officially out of beta and open to the world at large. Anyone have thoughts on this? Obviously, cnet is trying to make a major splash here.

Personally, I think The Grinder - a roundup of foodblogs - is pretty cool and worthy of a spot in my RSS feeds.