• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oven Cooking - from your book

While going through your new book, I was particularly taken with your use of the oven. I have depended on the oven for a lot of things for years. I put stock in there, chili, beans, and of course I am a big fan of braises. I always say that it really fits my inattentiveness. (I don't grill much.)

The really new technique to me was your Oven Baked Chowder. I would have never thought to do that. I reported on my trial run in our long running soup topic.

Ok, that was a winner. So you might expect that the Creamy Baked Polenta appealed to me as well. It came out beautifully and was a bit faster than some of the others that we discussed starting a couple of years ago here.

Do you actively try to adapt recipes for oven cooking?

Also, one thing I like about your recipes is that you invite fiddling. I usually do a recipe by the book the first time but I confess to fiddling from there. Are you a fiddler, too?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

While going through your new book, I was particularly taken with your use of the oven. I have depended on the oven for a lot of things for years. I put stock in there, chili, beans, and of course I am a big fan of braises. I always say that it really fits my inattentiveness. (I don't grill much.)

The really new technique to me was your Oven Baked Chowder. I would have never thought to do that. I reported on my trial run in our long running soup topic.

Ok, that was a winner. So you might expect that the Creamy Baked Polenta appealed to me as well. It came out beautifully and was a bit faster than some of the others that we discussed starting a couple of years ago here.

Do you actively try to adapt recipes for oven cooking?

Also, one thing I like about your recipes is that you invite fiddling. I usually do a recipe by the book the first time but I confess to fiddling from there. Are you a fiddler, too?

I have the same policy -- the first time I make a recipe I follow it exactly and after that I might change it, customize it. I think you owe it to the author to follow the recipe exactly the first time becauce they might know something you don't. For example, every time I see a Marcella Hazan recipe my instinct is to add more of everything and when I do that I mess it up. Her food is simple, absolutely delicious as is. Why mess with it?

The reason I have suggested making typical stovetop recipes in the oven is because the oven has a more even temperature than a stove top. The heat surrounds the pan, it does not just come from the burner underneath. So it is a gentler more failsafe way of cooking.

Sara Moulton

I have the same policy -- the first time I make a recipe I follow it exactly and after that I might change it, customize it. I think you owe it to the author to follow the recipe exactly the first time becauce they might know something you don't. For example, every time I see a Marcella Hazan recipe my instinct is to add more of everything and when I do that I mess it up. Her food is simple, absolutely delicious as is. Why mess with it?

The reason I have suggested making typical stovetop recipes in the oven is because the oven has a more even temperature than a stove top. The heat surrounds the pan, it does not just come from the burner underneath. So it is a gentler more failsafe way of cooking.

So, do you really measure all the spices and seasonings in a recipe--even the first time? I'm a complete novice/home cook who has never had a lesson in her life, but I never measure unless I'm baking. I usually eye-ball it. Does that make me a bad person?

And thanks for being here--this is just a wonderful learning experience.

Deb

Liberty, MO

So, do you really measure all the spices and seasonings in a recipe--even the first time? I'm a complete novice/home cook who has never had a lesson in her life, but I never measure unless I'm baking. I usually eye-ball it. Does that make me a bad person?

And thanks for being here--this is just a wonderful learning experience.

eyeballing spices is just fine, doubling the cream or stock in a recipe is not (= one of the ways I messed up Marcella's recipes)

Any cooking makes you a good person.

Sara Moulton

I'll confess. I made your frittata with brie and bacon last night. I had killer bacon, from a local purveyor who sells bacon ends for an obscene price that are to die for. Then, I got out the brie. Well, there wasn't quite enough, and you know, I really like like my brie on toast with pepper jelly in the am, so I substituted the hunk of cheddar, diced, for the brie. Forgive me, for I did not follow the recipe exactly the first time. Well, it was exactly, except that I subbed the cheddar for the brie and may have been a bit heavy handed with the bacon (I tend to be a bit heavy handed with the pork products).

More importantly, the kids and I diced and whisked and frittated and made salad together, and we all ate together and talked about the days triumphs and trials.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Thanks! And your comment about liquids--when is it or isn't it acceptable to subsitute one liquid for another., i.e., broth for stock, non/low-fat milk for regular. And there are so many new products out there--there is even non-fat half and half. Have you found a way to incorporate these into recipes without sacrificing texture and taste?

Sorry if I'm asking too many questions.

Deb

Liberty, MO