• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Whole Wheat Muffins

tippingvelvet

I'm looking for a great muffin recipe using only whole wheat flour (not a combo of whole wheat and all purpose). I've tried several recipes but haven't quite found one that I'm in love with. They all tend to be too dry and dense. Does anyone have a recipe they would like to share?

I would love to find one too. I've been doctoring a bran muffin recipe I found here (In this thread) by substituting between 1/3 and 1/2 of the AP flour with whole wheat. The results have been mixed. They've been too dry, so I've added a bit of apple juice or pinapple juice to make up for the extra absorbing power of whole wheat, but...well, the recipe is beginning to run away from me.

Edited to add link.

Edited by cavebutter (log)
The ButterChurn (www.cavebutter.com/wp) -- One dude's venture into the magical world of baking, dude.

Check out these Carrot Muffins from a previous thread. I gave you a link to the post instead of directly to the recipe as it notes adjustments the poster made to the original recipe.

Edited by CanadianBakin' (log)

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

I have a muffin recipe using stone ground corn meal, whole wheat flour, soy flour and wheat germ if that would be of any interest to you. I used to make them for my ex's lunches for cholesterol reasons.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

Have you tried using whole wheat pastry flour instead of regular whole wheat? That's what I do, without otherwise modifying my recipes, and my whole wheat muffins are about the same, texture- and moisture-wise, as my white muffins.

My favorite bran muffins ever: Alan's Ultimate Muffins

They are of course bran muffins, so they are VERY branny, but I love the deep flavor they have, and they stay moist.

Andrea

http://tenacity.net

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

I will try the ww pastry flour, but Alan's Ultimate look really good. I like how little oil it uses. Patricia's uses a bit more and, in my head, that takes away a little bit from the healthfulness of bran muffins.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try them out as soon as I run out of my current batch.

The ButterChurn (www.cavebutter.com/wp) -- One dude's venture into the magical world of baking, dude.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm looking for a great muffin recipe using only whole wheat flour (not a combo of whole wheat and all purpose).  I've tried several recipes but haven't quite found one that I'm in love with.  They all tend to be too dry and dense.  Does anyone have a recipe they would like to share?

I eat muffins on most mornings for the last ten years, and have tried a lot of recipes. These are the ones I really like:

Cloudette' s Muffins

These are moist and keep well. I think they taste like they have far more fat and sugar then they actually have.

Combine in first bowl

1/2 c. ww flour

1/2 c. wheat bran

1/2 c. oatbran

1 t. baking powder

1 t. cinnamon

1/2 t. nutmeg

1/2 t. salt

1/2 c. brown sugar

Combine in 2nd bowl

1 egg

1/2 c. buttermilk-- I usually add 1-2 T. more

1/4 c. oil

1 1/2 cups grated carrots or zucchini-- I use both

1/2 c. raisins

Barely mix together bowl 1 and bowl 2. Bake in muffin tins at 375 for 25 mins.

While these have some white flour in them, they have quite a bit more wheat bran in them which combined is essentially whole wheat flour. These are on epicurious and the recipe written by fellow egulleter Sarah Phillips. Despite the name they don't taste like bran muffins and are nice and light. They keep well without drying out.

Lowfat Buttermilk Bran Muffins

These Whole Wheat banana muffins are very good, found them about a year ago.

I just found these orange muffins last week and am very excited about the discovery. I peeled the orange before putting it in the food processor.

Hope this helps

Edited by chantal (log)