• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Whole Foods comes to Portland

johnnyd

With the purchase, Whole Foods will take over the Whole Grocer store - which happens to be next door to a Wild Oats store - until it moves into its new store a few blocks away in 2007.

Chandrika has finally thrown in the towel. Deal is signed today. Story here.

I guess I better start paying attention to those "Whole Foods" threads. I wonder if they are going to pull their be-nice-to-lobsters rule up he-yah? :laugh:

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

I'll personally light the torch that scuttles the place if I see a price that high!

In other similar news, on-line-only local news site, The Bollard says The Portland Public Market could be up for sale as well.

Lots of turnover at the end of the year has yielded a bunch of empty space there.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

Portland Food Map.com

Wow, I had heard about Whole Foods coming in next year but assuming control of the Whole Grocer in the meanwhile is interesting. I doubt most of their hippy clientel would notice in the haze they usually walk around in. I think for Portland in general, the competition and selection is good with both outlets and maybe we will see lower prices! I heard that Trader Joe's is working on finalizing on building a store in that area as well.

The Public Market is looking a bit sad of late and is often close to empty. I don't know how half of the tenants survive. As an note of interest, the Market is planning Friday "happy hours" starting at five and offering free tastings. I heard about it and picked up a flyer from Hortons, which is offering a cheese sampler plate for $5 at that time. Also, they have reduced the prices on locally-produced State of Maine-made cheeses. Maybe, from my suggestion that their prices were too high. The manager had a rejoinder that the higher Euro was the main reason and it drove up the cost of imported cheeses. My logic of offering farmstand cheeses from ME and the rest of New England must have made an impression.

Hello from the other Portland - in Oregon, that is. When Whole Paycheck, opps, I mean Whole Foods came to Portland, OR they opened with quite a bang. Lots of employees, great looking stuff, tons of variety, no real deals. After a year or so, the variety dropped, less employees, still no real deals. They are, however, a catalyst - lots of more well to do people shop there and they create a demand for more organic and natural foods that carries over into other stores. It does raise the bar for everyone else.

Best Wishes!

Whole Foods came to Portland, OR they opened with quite a bang.

So did WILD OATS a couple years ago. A few deals here and there, not many though, in fact, they are too expensive to visit regularly. I saw meyer lemons for $3.99 each! :angry: They have been consistent though and seem to support an army of enthusiastic employees.

Also, they have reduced the prices on locally-produced State of Maine-made cheeses.

This is great news. Anything that gets local produce into the hands of consumers faster is a good thing. Smiling Hill Farms is a hidden jewel.

Edited by johnnyd (log)

Portland Food Map.com

WHole Foods seems to like to go head-to-head with Wild Oats. There is a similar juxtaposition in St. Louis County, tho the stores are a couple of minutes apart, not next door!

Here in Jersey, WF's clientele is much more yuppie than hippie. I suppose it's a regional variation. Interestingly, the one I go to often has deals on various staples (rice, yogurt). And they always price their Maine shrimp lower than the local Stop & Shop.

Of course you don't go there for deals on produce/fruits/veg. Though it is the best place I've found for off-season lettuce.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845